Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Akhenaten's quote, where is it from?

Nefer-Ankhe

This is a mystery to myself, so I consider this a mystery overall, until yet discovered it's origins.

This beautiful quote...

When virtue and modesty enlighten her charms, the lustre of a beautiful woman is brighter than the stars of heaven, and the influence of her power it is in vain to resist.

All suggesting from Akhenaten, non suggesting where of Akhenaten?

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/akhenaton.html

More wonderful quotes, apparently from Akhenaten.

I thought the only words that can be attributed to Akhenaten are from the great hymn to the Aten. All else apart from the usual titles and other formulaic words on the KV55 coffin, various inscriptions etc, being lost. The quotes are very worthy of course, but I think they are not from Akhenaten, but maybe, and I guess, from modern "Atenists" indulging in wish fulfilment. They need something to chant while wearing robes and conducting "ancient" ceremonies at base of GP :)

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri

Well, I'm persuaded to think that they are Akhenaten's actual quotes, they appear on every site, when I look it up and when I write a quote in, it's attributed to none other than Akhenaten. I just wish, I knew where they came from.

Perhaps the Amarna letters (although I have read a majority of them), a temple, anything other, must have been.

Well, I'm persuaded to think that they are Akhenaten's actual quotes, they appear on every site, when I look it up and when I write a quote in, it's attributed to none other than Akhenaten. I just wish, I knew where they came from.

Perhaps the Amarna letters (although I have read a majority of them), a temple, anything other, must have been.

I have to admit they don't ring true to me, either, and I've spent many years researching the Amarna Period. I have no knowledge of their appearance in the Amarna Letters. If any of them are authentic, they would probably have been found in the fragmented talatat of Akhetaten or on the painted walls of the noble tombs of that site. Still, I don't recall having come across them in these contexts.

You stated the critical part yourself: where do these quotes come from? What is their ultimate source? I for one am skeptical of their authenticity, although I will admit that the one you quoted above sounds somewhat similar to some of the inscriptions in which Nefertiti is described. Perhaps they're modern adaptations of ancient texts.

I found this site http://forums.atenism.net/topic/2032838/1/ the link is to one of the threads. Post one is very instructive and I quote the most relevant part, with my bold.

Akhenaten's hymn to Aten is our primary scripture but we must expand on it. Today's Atenism must represent not only yesterday's truth but today's reality. Atenism is not dead but lives in every Atenist. Many lack faith because they know not the truth. We must make the truth clear.
I don't have time to look all through that site to see if that is were these "Akhenaten" quotes are from, though I did find another part were they discuss that some of the members had in the past created an "Atenist" bible. Of course they may have nothing to do with these quotes, but when they say they need to expand on what we know really is from Akhenaten, then alarm bells start to ring.

Another unatributed "Akhenaten" quote

As a camel beareth labour, and heat, and hunger, and thirst, through deserts of sand, and fainteth not; so the fortitude of a man shall sustain him through all perils.

Clearly the author of this qoute is unfamiliar with when camels first appeared in Egypt. It is by the little things that such frauds are undone.

Gees, Tutankhaten, you have a singular talent for finding the most bizarre sites out there. I got a great laugh out of that forum.

Atenist Bible? Akhenaten was the "Prince of Peace"? Do these people have any useful understanding of ancient Egypt? I'm actually tempted to join just to poke at them...and would probably be banned within three posts.

I don't know why it is, but these modern "kemeticists" who think they're practicing ancient Egyptian religion are both annoying and amusing at the same time. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Gees, Tutankhaten, you have a singular talent for finding the most bizarre sites out there. I got a great laugh out of that forum.

Atenist Bible? Akhenaten was the "Prince of Peace"? Do these people have any useful understanding of ancient Egypt? I'm actually tempted to join just to poke at them...and would probably be banned within three posts.

I don't know why it is, but these modern "kemeticists" who think they're practicing ancient Egyptian religion are both annoying and amusing at the same time. :rolleyes:

I think if they didn't exist then they would have to be invented just to give us something to laugh at. I bet most of them have bookshelves heavy with Cayce. Blavatsky is fine though, no problem with Blavatsky, oh no, the ones on my bookshelves are simply for show, simply for "research", yes, research.... :blush:

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri