Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Aristocrat warns visitors of his 'big cat'

kannin

Baronet Sir Benjamin Slade believes that the creature has already killed foxes, an otter and some of his chickens, and he fears that it could go on to attack his prized pedigree sheep, a dog or even a guest.

The “beast” was photographed by the night porter at the 98-acre Maunsel House estate, near Bridgwater in Somerset, in the early hours of the morning about a fortnight ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10202296/Aristocrat-warns-visitors-after-big-cat-photographed-on-his-estate.html

• Like 1

That's only about 40 minutes from where I live, too. We have all kind of big cat stories in this region, but no-one has ever found any real proof of their being there. On the other hand I was once talking to a local Wildlife Trust warden who said that the authorities may wish to keep it quiet in order to stop people trying to go out and hunt them, and possibly harming other animals or even other people, so I don't know what to make of it.

Edited by MyInnerShadow
  • Like 1

That's only about 40 minutes from where I live, too. We have all kind of big cat stories in this region, but no-one has ever found any real proof of their being there. On the other hand I was once talking to a local Wildlife Trust warden who said that the authorities may wish to keep it quiet in order to stop people trying to go out and hunt them, and possibly harming other animals or even other people, so I don't know what to make of it.

oh wow thats very interesting! be carful if you live so close XD

• Like 1

Just looking at the bottom photo and a quick Google, imo:

A domestic cat can kill a fox, and chickens too.

The tail looks short like a domestic cat to me not long and thick like a big cat.

It also lacks the tighter muscular physique of a big cat.

But I have no idea for sure. A big cat(s) could have escaped from somewhere.

http://www.google.co...iw=1680&bih=917

Edited by QuiteContrary

Just looking at the bottom photo and a quick Google, imo:

A domestic cat can kill a fox, and chickens too.

The tail looks short like a domestic cat to me not long and thick like a big cat.

It also lacks the tighter muscular physique of a big cat.

But I have no idea for sure. A big cat(s) could have escaped from somewhere.

http://www.google.co...iw=1680&bih=917

now that you bring it up i kind of thought the same when i saw it. but i wasnt certain, it does look like a house cat but at the same time doesnt

oh wow thats very interesting! be carful if you live so close XD

Well I'm a keen birdwatcher and photographer so I do tend to spend a fair amount of my spare time wandering around the countryside and woodlands of our region, and I live next to a nature reserve area on the edge of Bristol where I often walk my dog at night. I must admit that when I'm strolling through the woods at night and can hear something following us through the trees and along the overgrown stream banks, I do get a little nervous, though I assume it's just foxes, otters or roe deer curious about who or what it is passing near to their homes. At least that's what I nervously say to myself.....

ok good! maybe try to catch a pic of one if you can! be a UM investigation lol that would be cool

A “big cat” seen on an aristocrat’s country estate may actually be a large breed of domestic cat that has been previously mistaken for a lion, it was suggested today.

Baronet Sir Benjamin Slade has put up warning signs for visitors after a member of his staff photographed the mystery creature in his grounds about a fortnight ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10205261/Was-beast-seen-on-aristocrats-estate-just-a-domestic-cat.html