Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Cow as a Deity

ReaperS_ParadoX

In my opinion the cow was seen as so sacred a creature because of what grew in its scat, Magic Mushrooms. I know a lot of people of ancient times held the cow as basically a god, and thought high of it.

So what do you guys think, could it be as simple as I'm thinking or is there more to it?

• Like 2

they also are revered because of the milk the give us, taking nothing in return, or something like that. apparently magic mushrooms dont grow on skat but grow close by.

Mushrooms generally grow out of cow dung because the cow consumes the spores of these mushrooms while grazing, the spores survive the digestion and are deposited in the scat. Cow dung is also used as a fertilizer. I know they grow in the cow poop because Iv seen them growing in cow poop. But the ancients were sure to have seen these mushrooms growing, and most likely TRIED them. Once they figured out the powers these mushrooms had on the brain I guarantee you they would wanna do it again

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x
  • Like 2

I don't think it has anything to do with psychedelic mushrooms. Cows provide an awful lot to India's people without being slaughtered for food. They give milk products and their dung is used for fuel.

• Like 2

Well, never knew that about magic mushrooms!!

Hindus consider cows deities cause they act as our 'surrogate' mothers by feeding us with their milk (cow's gestational period is practically the same as humans).

Only the bulls are revered, because they are viewed as one of the most powerful animals on the planet, it's about strength, not magic mushrooms.

I personally don't worship something because of strength, I think it is just too primitive.

Only the bulls are revered, because they are viewed as one of the most powerful animals on the planet, it's about strength, not magic mushrooms.

I personally don't worship something because of strength, I think it is just too primitive.

Not to mention cows aren't the strongest animal in the world

I don't think it has anything to do with psychedelic mushrooms. Cows provide an awful lot to India's people without being slaughtered for food. They give milk products and their dung is used for fuel.

So they only use cow dung over there for fuel? there not depended on gasoline?

The poor do. They dry it and burn the dried patties to cook their food. I am of course talking about fuel in the sense of cooking, not driving a car. The poor have no cars.

Edited by moonshadow60

The poor do. They dry it and burn the dried patties.

How does it work I wonder, because if its better that could solve the whole gas crisis

I didn't say they where.

Though apparently the psychodelic mushrooms are found world wide, there is no scientific note of them in the old world till around 1800. I've also not heard of any old world religion or ceremony that uses mushrooms. So, IMHO, I think that the idea has very little merit to it. These mushrooms will grow in just about anything, but they are grown in cow dung today, because the dung is practically free, while comparable store bought growing medium would cost a couple dollars a pound.

Most European cattle religions were formed when there were still Aurochs roaming Europe, which were much larger and stronger (Aguably the largest/strongest species in Europe) then any other form of cattle.

• Like 2

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20928025.400-earliest-evidence-for-magic-mushroom-use-in-europe.html#.UfJaV6luh5g

"EUROPEANS may have used magic mushrooms to liven up religious rituals 6000 years ago. So suggests a cave mural in Spain, which may depict fungi with hallucinogenic properties - the oldest evidence of their use in Europe."

• Like 3

http://www.newscient...ml#.UfJaV6luh5g

"EUROPEANS may have used magic mushrooms to liven up religious rituals 6000 years ago. So suggests a cave mural in Spain, which may depict fungi with hallucinogenic properties - the oldest evidence of their use in Europe."

That is still a "maybe". If various religions were based on it, we'd expect much wider evidence of usage.

I didn't say they where.

I didn't say you did say they were

That is still a "maybe". If various religions were based on it, we'd expect much wider evidence of usage.

Yes , it is a maybe, so your not wrong, but you may not be entirely right ... (where have i heard that?) Religions based on mushroom use? Probably not. Maybe in isolated areas ? ..or cults.. or shamany types in tribes.. or priestly types in fancier tribes... but anyway it only seems logical that they were used well before there was "scientific note" of them around 1800?

I'd find it very hard to understand if people hadn't discovered them thousands and thousands of years ago. Lots of stuff happened that we have little to no evidence of?

Laplanders and the Sami used mushrooms supplied by their reindeer .. i guess that's Asia and not Europe.. but still.

Anyway,, as for sacred cows ? Basically everything is sacred to a Hindhu ?

• Like 2

Yes , it is a maybe, so your not wrong, but you may not be entirely right ... (where have i heard that?)

:nw: :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw:

So they only use cow dung over there for fuel? there not depended on gasoline?

The term "fuel" covers more than just the liquid you fill in vehicle tanks.

(What an arch-typical American question, LOL)

• Like 3

I know that it can be used for more than just cars, I was just saying as far as America is concerned, but I know it can be used for a number of things, Back to that America thing Maybe that's because I live in America that that was the first thought that came to my mind.

I live in America and I didn't think that you could use cow dung to replace gas for cars.

I figure it has good uses in camp fires and cooking fires.

I live in America and I didn't think that you could use cow dung to replace gas for cars.

I figure it has good uses in camp fires and cooking fires.

Dung was used for millenia as a fuel here in the U.S.

Harte

• Like 2

Dung was used for millenia as a fuel here in the U.S.

Harte

Especially Buffalo dung during the great treks.

Or the smartest. Or the fastest. Or the prettiest. Thank goodness for milk and steak!!!!!

I lived on a farm most of my younger years. Cows are the sweetest, most loyal creatures on the whole. How do you know how smart they are? I even saw a cow whose calf died mourn on top of its grave for days. She wouldn't leave that spot.