Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any ideas?

itsnotoutthere

post-39751-0-11840100-1374833770_thumb.j

I think it looks like a movie prop.

I originally thought it looked like a giant octopus laying on its side. But the tail appears to be obviously inspired by a Crocodilian.

yeah, I'm going with whale carcase.

you can see vertebrae, blubber.. am thinking baleen whale.

• Like 1

I guess that tail could be a whale backbone. The thing is about the right length at around 40 feet long. I was not able to find an exact match. Would help if we knew where this was found.

There is only scant information available on the images. Here is what I found on an Iranian News site (using GoogleTranslate):

Rvznv - on 20 July 1391 at South Pars offshore naval vessels deployed in the carcase strange creatures were discovered by staff teratogenic.

گفتنی است؛ بوی تعفن بسیار عجیب این موجود تا شعاع چند صد متر قابل احساس بود.

It is a very strange smell the stench was felt to within several hundred meters.

Teratogenic - Of, relating to, or causing malformations of an embryo or fetus. (Source)

This alt-site refers to the thing as a "Sphinx teratogenic"

Information on the South Pars / North Dome Gas-Condensate field

yeah, I'm going with whale carcase.

you can see vertebrae, blubber.. am thinking baleen whale.

I concur.

Edited by Night Walker
  • Like 1

Whale carcass, like others have said. Probably partly decayed which is why it looks a bit strange and smells.

Giant sturgeon? Nah, it's a rotting whale carcass.

Edited by phantasia

Clearly the vertebra of a large mammal, certainly whale vertebra. The spineous processes floating sideways shortly under the water surface, the transverse processes extend vertical. I think we also can see the triangular, curved and tapered skull floating upside down what indicates that it is a baleen whale.

Can't be a dead whale because its sill moving, tales too short.

I see 3 creatures. A long spiky tailed creature being swallowed by a Lizard type creature being eaten by a frog type creature.

• Like 1

Clearly a whale.

The Huffington Post reached out to Dr. Gary Griggs, director of the Institute of Marine Sciences at the University of California, Santa Cruz, for a second opinion about the floating carcass.

"From my vast knowledge and experience with whales and their skeletons, it is clearly a whale," Dr. Griggs wrote in an email to HuffPost. "Although with the condition of the body, [it's] difficult for me to determine what kind of whale."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/25/persian-gulf-whale-carcass-iranian-navy-photos_n_3653291.html

What I find interesting is something no one seems to have touched on. There are people there who could have taken a sample from it in order for it to have been tested to determine what it is exactly. Instead they just took some pictures and posted them up with the infamous tag of "What do you think?".

It’s looks like a big alligator :P. Maybe it’s an undiscovered sea creature, that’s life on the bottom of the ocean. We don’t know much about the bottom of the ocean, so it is possible that the creature has lived over there.

It’s looks like a big alligator :P. Maybe it’s an undiscovered sea creature, that’s life on the bottom of the ocean. We don’t know much about the bottom of the ocean, so it is possible that the creature has lived over there.

Or that's simply what the backbone of a severely decayed whale looks like. Since most of us aren't familiar with what one of those might look like, I'll stick with the WHALE EXPERT quoted above.