Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gangs Have Increased By 40 % Since Obama

Big Bad Voodoo

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/07/21/gingrich_gangs_have_increased_by_40_percent_since_obama_was_elected.html

Gangs have increased -- let me finish. Gangs have increased by 40 percent since this president was elected. There is no federal program to stop it. No one wants to have an honest conversation about it. And so you have a congressman whose own district is bleeding, who puts on a hoodie as a symbolic act, but he doesn't do anything about the gangs in his own district.

• Like 3

No one can stop gangs because they always bounce back, though gang violence is down from lets say the 80's or the 90's

just a quick question: Why is this in the European Forum?

• Like 3

Mistake.

Thread Moved

• Like 2

http://www.realclear...as_elected.html

Gangs have increased -- let me finish. Gangs have increased by 40 percent since this president was elected. There is no federal program to stop it. No one wants to have an honest conversation about it. And so you have a congressman whose own district is bleeding, who puts on a hoodie as a symbolic act, but he doesn't do anything about the gangs in his own district.

No, if you want to have an honest conversation about the epidemic of gang violence, you get labeled "racist"....

• Like 6

The PTB can't be bothered with gangs. They have people like George Zimmerman to worry about.... I guess.

• Like 4

This is "newt" spewing unsubstantiated gibberish.

This is "newt" spewing unsubstantiated gibberish.

Don't dodge the issue. Honestly, I have no idea what newt says is true but his overall point is clear. All these people are in such an uproar over one, dare I say typical, legal case of self defense in Florida. Nothing extraordinary about it yet it's a rolling bandwagon of rage. So, Newt says something to that effect and asks about gang violence in Rush's own backyard. Rush responds to say let Chicago handle its own problems. Fair enough but if it's ok for a nation, including Rush, to be in uproar over one little case of self defense and doing all they can to make their spectacle over it displayed on national news outlets then surely it's ok for those outside Chicago to ask one little question about the violence there that is 500 times as deadly each year as the Zimmerman case. Oh oh what's that? He's having a national summit on urban violence that was planned before the Zimmerman trial. Ohh ok, so Rush is on top of it then. I don't think so. Has he been having these summits a lot? If so they're not working. If no, the violence is nothing new so why hasn't he taken such steps before? He's dodging a much more important issue. I said it's fair for him to say Chicago will take care of its own violence problem but the big thing wrong there is that it hasn't, it isn't and it won't. He has been there since 1993 and quite obviously can't do his job. So until he can do his own job at home he should shut the hell up about one minor problem 1000 miles away that he doesn't have any clue about. That ninja is the point.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 5

Everything that sucks has increased by 40% under Obama.

And everything that didn't suck, sucks a little bit now.

• Like 9

Politifacts broke it down and found it to be only half true based on the fact the numbers were estimates of estimates, not hard statistics.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jul/24/newt-gingrich/newt-gingrich-says-gangs-have-increased-40-percent/

"Gingrich deserves credit for using statistics from a credible federal agency, but it’s important to note that methodological difficulties make it hard for anyone, even the FBI, to determine how many gang members there are in the United States. Criminologists express skepticism about whether gang membership could have jumped 40 percent in just two years, saying that broader crime statistics don’t show any sign of it."

"Contrary to Gingrich’s claim that "there is no federal program to stop" gangs, the Justice Department does have an Organized Crime and Gang Section, which was established under Obama in late 2010 as a consolidation of several existing offices.

However, while federal funding and technical assistance can help, Fox said that "there’s relatively little that the president can do to discourage a 12-year-old from joining a gang."

• Like 1

Politifacts broke it down and found it to be only half true based on the fact the numbers were estimates of estimates, not hard statistics.

http://www.politifac...sed-40-percent/

"Gingrich deserves credit for using statistics from a credible federal agency, but it’s important to note that methodological difficulties make it hard for anyone, even the FBI, to determine how many gang members there are in the United States. Criminologists express skepticism about whether gang membership could have jumped 40 percent in just two years, saying that broader crime statistics don’t show any sign of it."

"Contrary to Gingrich’s claim that "there is no federal program to stop" gangs, the Justice Department does have an Organized Crime and Gang Section, which was established under Obama in late 2010 as a consolidation of several existing offices.

However, while federal funding and technical assistance can help, Fox said that "there’s relatively little that the president can do to discourage a 12-year-old from joining a gang."

Well, Politifact is funded by the Annenberg Foundation which is focused on "Environmental Stewardship and Social Justice."

This tells me that nothing on politifact can be trusted since they are funded by a radical left-wing source.

• Like 3

Measuring-1.png

• Over the past decade, annual estimates of the number of gangs have averaged around 25,000 nationally.
  • Following a yearly decline from 1996 to a low in 2003, annual estimates steadily increased through 2011.
  • The most recent estimate of nearly 30,000 gangs represents a 12 percent increase from 2006 and is the highest annual estimate since 1997.
  • Source
  • Nibs

Everything that sucks has increased by 40% under Obama.

Hoovers and hookers. Yay!

Well, Politifact is funded by the Annenberg Foundation which is focused on "Environmental Stewardship and Social Justice."

This tells me that nothing on politifact can be trusted since they are funded by a radical left-wing source.

If environmental stewardship and social justice are considered radically left wing... no wonder things are so screwed up.

• Like 3

Environmental stewardship is ok to an extent. Social justice is not ok at all.

• Like 1

If environmental stewardship and social justice are considered radically left wing... no wonder things are so screwed up.

Both "environmental stewardship' and 'social justice' share the same ultimate goal. They are communist buzzwords each with the intent of shaking down the rich.

Savy

• Like 1

All these people are in such an uproar over one, dare I say typical, legal case of self defense in Florida. Nothing extraordinary about it

This is a false premise. It is not typical or ordinary.

This is a false premise. It is not typical or ordinary.

Really now? Care to elaborate? I try and engage you in a real conversation and you cherry pick sentances from entire paragraphs to issue vague, unsubstantiated trolling comments.

• Like 1

Really now? Care to elaborate? I try and engage you in a real conversation and you cherry pick sentances from entire paragraphs to issue vague, unsubstantiated trolling comments.

I guess I should elaborate. Chicago is doing everything it can possibly think of to reduce gun violence. Well except declaring open season and "wild west" antics that the NRA would love. I didn't think I was cherry picking at all. You entire argument was that since the Florida thing was minor and ordinary, that Chicago should shut up and clean it's own house first. The first premise of your argument is false. Stand your ground laws are very new and in particular in Florida. They do not exist in all states. They may well be legally unhinged. Sure, the media picked this one case to exploit. But Zimmerman basically got away with murder.

I guess I should elaborate. Chicago is doing everything it can possibly think of to reduce gun violence. Well except declaring open season and "wild west" antics that the NRA would love. I didn't think I was cherry picking at all. You entire argument was that since the Florida thing was minor and ordinary, that Chicago should shut up and clean it's own house first. The first premise of your argument is false. Stand your ground laws are very new and in particular in Florida. They do not exist in all states. They may well be legally unhinged. Sure, the media picked this one case to exploit. But Zimmerman basically got away with murder.

Wild West tactics? That is a false premise.

It's not my argument. It is my assessment of the conversation in the op. If a spectacle can be made of the Zimmerman case why is it so outlandish to question the sounds of crickets pertaining to Chicago violence and why is offensive to suggest not enough is being done? Isn't that the same thing being asked of the Zimmerman case? And, stand your ground wasn't an issue in this case. It was all about self defense. And he didn't get away with murder. You really ought to scope out my thread on juror B29 just posted today in the US&Americas thread. While you're at it check out the YouTube link I posted in the Zimmerman trial thread. It's a movie called 12 angry men. I'm sure you've heard of it but those to leads should help you understand how the Z verdict came to be. It'll be enlightening.

• Like 2

So, if someone starts pounding your head into the ground, you can't defend yourself?? People, should be able to defend themselves when being attacked!

• Like 2