Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Incredibly rare six-tentacled octopus caught

Still Waters

A holidaymaker told yesterday how he caught and ate an octopus on holiday – only to discover it was only the SECOND six-legged specimen ever found.

Mechanical engineer Labros Hydras, 49, pulled the freak creature – dubbed a ‘hexapus’ – from the sea as he went snorkelling in Greece.

He followed local tradition by smashing it against a rock to kill it and then took it to a nearby taverna to cook.

http://swns.com/news...ing-kind-38053/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sundew

• Still Waters

• d e v i c e

• Kikapo

I thought it was some rare six-legged species of Cephalopod, instead it's a mutation of the common octopus, rather like a blue or white Maine Lobster. Would have been nice to take to an aquarium for display. Oh well, I'm sure it was tasty! Little salt and some olive oil, yum!

Not a mutation of an Octopus, the actual linked article states incredibly rare hexapus of which only two have ever been found. What an effing idiot. He even documented the whole sickening episode with chronological photos. What a great thing to teach his young kids. It's people like this that leave me smh at the human race.

Not a mutation of an Octopus, the actual linked article states incredibly rare hexapus of which only two have ever been found. What an effing idiot. He even documented the whole sickening episode with chronological photos. What a great thing to teach his young kids. It's people like this that leave me smh at the human race.

Hi; Im unsure but maybe its tradition to catch octopus this way...it was killed and eaten but documented, which is at least something. The idiots where I live kill and torture living things and leave them to rot which I feel is a far greater offence.

Whats more the father expressed remorse;

“It is the least that I can do given my ignorance and guilt that I feel for killing such a rare animal.”

He had no net access where he was to confirm the rarity of his find....

Not a new species, the last line of the article states: "Biologists say the six-legged hexapus is the result of a natal abnormality as opposed to a new species."