Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The world’s first test tube burger £250,000

Still Waters

The world’s first test tube burger will be served at an exclusive London venue this week - with a price tag of £250,000.

The 5oz burger is made of synthetic meat grown from the stem cells of a cow.

http://www.dailymail...eaten-week.html

Sounds like another GMO food that we will find out isn't as nutritious or healthy someday.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Sounds like another GMO food that we will find out isn't as nutritious or healthy someday.

True.

• Like 2

I really can't wait to try this. A bit expensive though at this point in time...

Vegetarianism here I come!! Test tube meat? Uh, no thanks. Plus a tad steep for a burger, don't you think?

• Like 1

Paying to be a guinea pig? No, thank you.

• Like 2

I have no problem about it, but for the near future, i'll make my own.

Hopefully it will be very far in the Future,count me out.

I like the idea of synthetic meat, it means an end to slaughterhouses and the possibility of feeding the hungry enmasse.

If I knew the component parts were exactly like the original biologically speaking - no hidden surprises, I would convert in an instant (once the manufacturing and pricing reaches my level that is).

Having said that, GMO just does not have the rigorous controls that one should expect to see attached to it and it bothers me how quick the powers that be in various industries and even governments have been to foist it onto consumers without always requiring full disclosure and even actively avoiding the disclosure at all some instances.

My gut just tells me we are going to have a tally of regrets if we don't slow down the pace of introducing these synthetic and altered substances to our diet before we understand not just what is involved in their creation and how it affects them and therefore us at a molecular level but also how they react to other substances artificially created (they are going to be mixing it up in our bellies at some point after all) it's like a frankenstein feast right now.

• Like 2

Even more people between you and your plate. I don't think that it's a great idea, but if the population continues the way it's going perhaps it is the only way to feed us.

I will stick to heirloom seeds, thank you, and no synthetic anything. Sooner or later, there will be a lot of very sick people because of messing around with the natural world.

• Like 2

Oh great, now I get the chance to have a test tube burger with test tube condiments as I feed it to my test tube child.

:td:

strange? sure. but this is a pretty fascinating area of research. raising a cow just to slaughter it for meat is pretty impactful on the enviroment (and that's ignoring the whole suffering thing), and definitely not sustainable. if we want to go on eating meat, synthetic might be the way to go. or start eating more of them insects.

anyways, i'm a pretty adventurous eater! i'd be interested in trying it just for the experience.

Speaking of meat! There's going to be a kangaroo cull in Queensland soon. Probably almost my favorite meat!

And hopefully it will make it cheaper for a while :w00t:

or if you believe the rumors on mcdonalds then you have probally already eaten something like this.. in which case this is just money for old rope. :P

You are what you eat...The tube burgers producers should pay that amount to anyone 'tasting' it. Not the opposite way.

• Like 1

I thought test, tube meat was gonna be a dirty joke. lol

If we really wanted to end inhumane factory farming and still keep our diet, we could do it today. This is just an easy way out with long-term consequences that haven't been tested in practise. Are we going to die of extinction if we wouldn't eat all these artificial things? I think not...

I thought test, tube meat was gonna be a dirty joke. lol

I think it's already a pretty dirty joke, the test tube meat that's already there, not just this particular meat... maybe.

Paying to be a guinea pig? No, thank you.

All of us who own cells phones may be unwittingly be participating in a giant science experiment. Who knows what 30-40-50 years of exposure may do? From nothing, to increased levels of brian cancer. Time will tell.

And chances are you are paying for that! :yes:

UPDATE: 'First lab-grown burger served up in London'

'SCIENTISTS have unveiled the world's first lab-grown beef burger, serving it up to volunteers in London in what they hope is the start of a food revolution.'

'The patty was served to two volunteers, US-based food author Josh Schonwald and Austrian food researcher Hanni Ruetzler.'

Austrian food researcher Hanni Ruetzler said: "I was expecting the texture to be more soft... I know there is no fat in it so I didn't know how juicy it would be.

"It's close to meat. It's not that juicy. The consistency is perfect (but) I miss salt and pepper!"

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-23576143

Food writer Mr Schonwald said: "The mouthfeel is like meat. I miss the fat, there's a leanness to it, but the general bite feels like a hamburger.

"What was consistently different was flavour."

Edit: I'm really all for this - if people thought I wasn't being serious earlier.

Edited by Timonthy