Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moundville , the 33 parallel and Hamsa

Dougward5

Some post-141093-0-76890500-1375053937_thumb. Items found at Moundville Alabama have a Hamsa like eye in Hand symbol . I know a little bit about the masonic connection to the 33rd but was wondering if anyone had info of items found in other ancient places on the 33rd parallel that have an " eye in Hand " as a popular design ?

thank you for any input

Doug

• Like 1

Some post-141093-0-76890500-1375053937_thumb. Items found at Moundville Alabama have a Hamsa like eye in Hand symbol . I know a little bit about the masonic connection to the 33rd but was wondering if anyone had info of items found in other ancient places on the 33rd parallel that have an " eye in Hand " as a popular design ?

thank you for any input

Doug

You would appear to have been influenced by a "blogger" who is not at all discriminating in regards to his understandings of archaeological/historical data. Which has apparently resulted in a rather fanciful interpretation of said data. You would be better served by consulting credible research.

I am unsure what you are suggesting I am misinformed about...The site at moundville IS on the 33rd and it DOES have hamsa like details in the pottery ..I just want to know if any other sites along the 33rd have them as well...I am am missing something please inform me,,,

These are pictures from the new Museum at Moundville ....in order that I am not somehow misrepesenting anything let me put my question this way. Are there any cultures located on the 33rd parallel in other parts of the world that use a symbol like the hand with an eye in it that seemed to be in at least limited use in the Mississippian culture at Moundville , Alabama ?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Doug

post-141093-0-41270700-1375061884_thumb.

post-141093-0-40145300-1375061966_thumb.

I am unsure what you are suggesting I am misinformed about...The site at moundville IS on the 33rd and it DOES have hamsa like details in the pottery ..I just want to know if any other sites along the 33rd have them as well...I am am missing something please inform me,,,

The issue isn't whether or not this mound is at 33 degrees N Lat. or not. It demonstrably is. And it isn't about whether or not that image is related to the society that created Moundville, and other sites like it. It does seem to be. It's more about whether such objects whether have any actual connection with a cultural phenomenon from the other side of the world, and whether their location and the imagery are related.

Since the Mississippian culture that created such mounds existed pre-Western contact, there would have been no way for them to understand they live on the 33rd parallel of latitude, so the whole idea you present starts out on a very wobbly premise. What is your theory about them? How do you account for it? Or is parallel or convergent development a good enough answer for you? That might be a better way to look into it.

--Jaylemurph

I was unaware I was presenting a theory . I was mostly asking a question I still do not know the answer to. If it turns out other cultures along that line DO use the same symbols then I will research more and tell you what I think after doing so . No need to over think it or fill in dots ..it was a question..but thank you for your reply.

No, I'm not aware of any culture that makes special significance of being on the 33rd parallel. (Latitude is a modern, European construct, anyway, so for most of history most cultures at that lattitude would not even be aware they were on the 33rd parallel, north or south.)

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

thank you for any input

Doug

Looks like there are a lot (of items)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsa

for example...Baghdad is on the 33rd parallel

Early use of the hamsa has been traced to ancient Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq)

and the 33rd parallel crosses Algeria and Morroco....

Due to its significance in both Arabic and Berber culture, the hamsa is one of the national symbols of Algeria and appears in its emblem

170px-Door_knocker%2C_N%27Kob.jpg

Door knocker in Morocco.

edit to say...welcome to the UM forum Dougward5...

Edited by bee

My apologies for not delving into the archaeological data at the moment (travel).

However, the following should be noted for the record. Fringe "science" at its "finest":

http://www.redicecre...6/10oct/33.html

Thank you all for the replies esp . Bee ! Its a good starting point for me.

Swede - I was wondering what the heck you were talking about with the blogger comment..and yeah he is stretching a LOT on that... that site reminded me of people trying to make every rock song have backwards masking..he was reaching for anything he could find to fit his theory...I only get that crazy on my Batman theories .....lmao .

33o N or S is a pretty temperate zone. That can easily explain the population placements along that latitude.

33o N might even have been the Tropic of Cancer at some early age. If that were the case, then astronomical considerations would certainly at least have to be considered when contemplating placements of ancient towns along that parallel.

And Bee, the fact that the 33rd runs through a country is utterly meaningless.

I mean, it's gonna run through some countries, right? You can find similar motifs in places off the 33rd, right? Also, plenty of places on the 33rd show no similar motif at all.

Harte