Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is there next to zero ufo news nowadays

And im not referring to `lights over lake eerie`...

Until about 2011, there was always something interesting, from the `alien interview` to the pheonix lights, to the `alien message in crop circle`, norway spiral to chicago o`haire airport, or ufos seen over temple mount, the turkish alien ufo over the water, ufo or missile? ufo over china airports, and lots more happening.

There was always at least one major point a year that got a buzz and people talking. Even if it had debunkers swarming all over it, at least there was something

There has been absolutly nothing interesting in ufology for about 2 years now. and its really begging the question.. WHY!

Ps i have zero interest in mufon reports or `lights over lake eerie or a youtube video of an orb`.. before anybody tells me `theres lots happening ` and presents that as the `lots happening`.

Edited by eley
  • Like 1

In my opinion, the reason there aren't as many nowadays is because technology has gotten to a point now where hoaxes are so easily created. I mean cgi and puppet making are almost (if not) lifelike now, and with the right materials and money, you can make something that resembles a flying saucer, and fly it yourself. I think a lot of people just rationalise things more regardless of whether they have seen something real or not and put it down to being man made. It doesn't help that there are so many hoaxers out there either, because this encourages real encounters to be deemed as instant hoaxes. This i would imagine must put a lot of people off making claims.

• Like 2

Ps i have zero interest in mufon reports or `lights over lake eerie or a youtube video of an orb`.. before anybody tells me `theres lots happening ` and presents that as the `lots happening`.

So, unless it comes from CNN, you won't bother with reports?

no... but people seem to think a dot of light in the sky with zero point of reference is `stunning ufo footage`

Why is there next to zero ufo news nowadays

Because there are so many damn TV shows and movies about them these days. It's almost as bad as Zombies.

• Like 1

I don't know why the lull but surprise, surprise - I finally saw my 1st UFO last weekend (7/21).

It was a black orb about 1 to 1.5 feet in diameter, it went whisking right past the back of my yard. Of the four of us out there in the back yard,

only my oldest son looked quick enough to see it when I said "LOOK"! My youngest, who is extremely quiet said nothing, he could have seen something for all I know, but he did not involve himself in the conversation. and the 4th person, my friend, is blind as a bat at distances.

anyway, I will not say this was a craft under ET control. For all I know it could be government technology, used for domestic spying like a drone, or who knows what.

however, since I don't know what it was and it was clearly flying, then it is an unidentified flying object, UFO.

more at 11:00!

• Like 2

And im not referring to `lights over lake eerie`...

Until about 2011, there was always something interesting, from the `alien interview` to the pheonix lights, to the `alien message in crop circle`, norway spiral to chicago o`haire airport, or ufos seen over temple mount, the turkish alien ufo over the water, ufo or missile? ufo over china airports, and lots more happening.

There was always at least one major point a year that got a buzz and people talking. Even if it had debunkers swarming all over it, at least there was something

There has been absolutly nothing interesting in ufology for about 2 years now. and its really begging the question.. WHY!

The main reason is not what most people would actually suspect.

There is an insidious blandness in people about anything other than sex, power or money. These are the three gods of modern life. Unless something's affects people's bank accounts they are guaranteed to Lose intest after after while.

Then they become numb to things.

This can be seen in people's response to shocking world news. Forty years ago ther would have been a huge outcry in response to the image of children starving in Africa.

Now no one pays any interest.

So you mention the Phoenix lights to someone at work and they reply with "oh that's interesting ; I must get a new set of tyres for the car".

It's all blandness you see.

• Like 7

The main reason is not what most people would actually suspect.

There is an insidious blandness in people about anything other than sex, power or money. These are the three gods of modern life. Unless something's affects people's bank accounts they are guaranteed to Lose intest after after while.

Then they become numb to things.

This can be seen in people's response to shocking world news. Forty years ago ther would have been a huge outcry in response to the image of children starving in Africa.

Now no one pays any interest.

So you mention the Phoenix lights to someone at work and they reply with "oh that's interesting ; I must get a new set of tyres for the car".

It's all blandness you see.

That, I would say is one of three reasons.

The second is that there is a wider, more diverse, forum called the Internet that now exists in such a way that not only will sightings be reported to believers (ie someone who'll say "ohh you saw some Pledians, nice chaps but a bit rude at time") but to skeptics ("what else could it have been?") and cynics ("you're lying"). You see it here, someone says something and you'll have within a few minutes three responses - all to the tune of "cool, that's interesting" "more information please" and "rubbish". So there are less reports because of the pressure of peer review being so bittering cruel courtesy of the facelessness offered by the Internet.

The third has grown out of the second, but is connected somewhat to the first - that is the fear of ridicule. People will avoid saying "I say something" or "I believe in fish people from the moon" because of the second ("really? What evidence do you have?") and third ("p*** off troll") style responses.

HOWEVER, all that said - we need those three responses. That's what's call testing something. You see if it can be matched to a pre-existing phenomena (the first response), you see if the evidence supports it (the second) and you see if it can stand up to basic ridicule (the third).

• Like 4

I think part of the problem is that we've had decades of dodgy photos and blurry videos, and yet we still see no real clear footage of anything that stands up to scrutiny, so I think that while many people are open to the possibility of ET life, most of the public have lost interest in UFOs, seeing it as being for cranks.

• Like 3

One of my local libraries actually carry MUFON journal. I've read them.

Then I realized that no one can lose anything by ignoring them.

• Like 1

So, unless it comes from CNN, you won't bother with reports?

Pretty much sums it up. Unless of course it is your own report then it is worth investigating :tu: .

Seems to me that it was a kind of a fad that passed - from the 40's to the 90's, a steady build of reports, a growing core base of believers up through the post-war technological advances, the space age - culminating in the "X-Files era" where the tv show cemented the 'reality' that the aliens are here, they have been for a long time, and a huge revelation is coming, the cover-ups are going to be blown open, the governments will relent and open up, open contact is going to happen anytime....

And then... nothing happened.

If anything, it's since we got past the millenium that the fever pitch has gradually died down to what we have now, general disinterest.

It reminds me of the arc of feverish interest that spiritualism had, or new-age philosophy, just over a longer period of time.

• Like 2

I think its how one comes into the subject. If someone 'just' got into the study of UFO, then most searches display the classic old time stories first, the alien interviews, the autopsies, The Hills, Travis Walton etc etc, then as time goes by and someone has looked into the classics, and the more modern less classsic stories, you get to realise that actually, there isnt a great deal of quality news about ufo's, at all.

Sure there are endless crappy vids and blurry pics, and as pointed out, an utter deluge of fakes, so I guess it really tells us, once you look into it with a rational mind, lots of sightings and stories boil down to - not so many after all..

I mean come on, earth is hardly an inter galactic alien airport now is it?

Besides, there are always new stories and reports, you just have to know how to find them, click the following link

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=latest+ufo+reports

• Like 2

I don't know why the lull but surprise, surprise - I finally saw my 1st UFO last weekend (7/21).

It was a black orb

I too have seen a black orb. From a distance of less than a quarter of a mile and probably only a hundred or maybe 200 feet up. Spotted it on a lunch break outside work with 3-4 others, this back when cams on phones were awful quality. It just glided silently in a straight line, funny enough along the course of railway tracks. It would have been maybe 10-20 feet maximim in size to look as large as it did, which would rule out a balloon. My work mates laughed when I said it may be a ufo, and showed no interest at all.

But what it was, I will never know. Except it wasnt a baloon - as the wind didnt move it at all, and it maintained a perfectly straight course.

guess there's only so many crop-circles & pyramids you can build before it becomes boring, and once you've seen one cow with its ass bored out you've seen 'em all.....

• Like 2

Where are the kids who normally Photoshop fake UFOs during their summer vacations and post them on the Internet? Maybe it's gone out of fashion now.

• Like 3

Where are the kids who normally Photoshop fake UFOs during their summer vacations and post them on the Internet?

they seem to have gotten bored with making crop-circles too Scowl.

i blame hollywood releasing too many blockbusters over the summer.....

;-)

I too have seen a black orb. From a distance of less than a quarter of a mile and probably only a hundred or maybe 200 feet up. Spotted it on a lunch break outside work with 3-4 others, this back when cams on phones were awful quality. It just glided silently in a straight line, funny enough along the course of railway tracks. It would have been maybe 10-20 feet maximim in size to look as large as it did, which would rule out a balloon. My work mates laughed when I said it may be a ufo, and showed no interest at all.

But what it was, I will never know. Except it wasnt a baloon - as the wind didnt move it at all, and it maintained a perfectly straight course.

I hear ya! One of my best friends said to me - and I quote: "You must be wearing plastic because I can clearly see you're nuts" LOL

It was funny, but ya know??

I guess people believe what they want. end of story.

BTW, I had absolutely no idea that "Black Orbs" were a UFO item until after my experience. I did a little research, and sure enough, many sightings and vids of black orbs are in links.

If I had to bet on it, I would say the US government has a new mini-drone technology. just a guess. Kinda goes with their "Black Helicopters".

• Like 1

they seem to have gotten bored with making crop-circles too Scowl.

i blame hollywood releasing too many blockbusters over the summer.....

;-)

Thanks for the link:

"The next two discovered on July 9th and 19th of this year had their tongues removed along with their udders, anus, reproductive organs, and ears."

Cult ritual, eh?

surrrrrrrrre :blush:

Mystery object falls from sky, area sealed off by military: 'Weather balloon', say officials

Even if it was, nobody's going to believe THAT

By Lewis Page, 2nd August 2013

Simply nobody will be giving any credence to officials in America who have stated that a mystery object which fell from the sky this week - after which the surrounding area was evacuated and sealed off for some time by police and military personnel - was just a "weather balloon".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/02/mystery_object_falls_from_sky_area_sealed_off_by_military_weather_balloon_say_officials/

• Like 1

I took a quick look at the cable television schedules. It looks like the UFO cable shows are dying off and are being replaced with ghost and Bigfoot shows or non-specific "creature" shows like "Mountain Monsters". I think people just aren't interested in seeing little dots or lights in the sky any more. They've seen their 10 year old nephew making convincing fake UFO photos on his computer so they don't believe any random person who claims to have shot a flying saucer with their cell phone.

They want to hear about people being startled by a strange ape-like creature by the road as they were pulling into their trailer park. They want to learn about how grizzly murders have caused a house to become haunted with the spirits of the victims. These stories have shock value.

• Like 2