Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Southern Ghosts

memento_mori

Where are some of the best places to experience the paranormal in the South? I've been to parts of Savannah and Andersonville. Nothing too extravagant. I would like to get involved with a paranormal research team :su

Alabama has a LOT... The battlefields from the indian wars..the civil war Battlefields...Selma...The ghost town of Old Cahawba....Sloss is fun but everyone has hunted that place...I know a few amazing spots but not sharing in public till I have a report from the location...I will however try to think of a good list of down south sites to post for you. My main thing is monster hunting but any paranormal activity I look into if I get a chance.

• Like 1

read up a little on the Thirteen Alabama Ghosts. i went to one of the sites there. the grave of Grancer Harrison. didnt see anything but an exploded tomb.

• Like 1

The 13 Alabama ghosts books are fantastic...every alabama school kid knows them. Remember that those books were written by a sweet little old lady Kathryn Tucker Windham and while great southern folklore those books are nor really giving you the darker side of the stories

or touching on a whole lot of the creepier places ... Alabama has some good places to find paranormal activity

Take a trip the Horseshoe Bend..visit the site of the battle Of Holy ground ..

Sloss is great but overplayed...I have seen some odd things in the tunnels but so has everyone else...the spirits there I think are playing for the tourists...

Old Brice hospital in Tuscaloosa

Cobb Cemetery in Jemison..( the site of some of the Blackwell gang killings) and IF you can find a local willing to take you to it ..you will never find it on your own..the " witches grave" in old Cambell cemetery ...don't say witch and avoid the owls ..

Spend the night at moundville.....

visit Adams Grove Presbyterian Church in Dallas county

Or if you are really brave you might be able to find a monster hunter who does expeditions into the swamps of south bama in search of Loup Garou, hoodoo lady ghosts , two toed tom and other " Swamp demons" I might know one..lmao..

Ever been to New Orleans? I am guessing there must be a lot of ghosts in that place. I've thought about going just to see some of the cemeteries.

I have been going down there since I was 16 years old...you can feel the " vibe" of the place when you arrive ..it is amazing , It has ghosts yeah...but a lot more oddities as well. I end up there on some of our tours when we get a local werewolf lead ...ghosts , monsters, voodoo, vampires, cults, weirdos its all in New Orleans

Well, in WV we have a few prisons and crazy houses people hype up, and the indian mounds.

Good for some laughs at the very least depending on your inclination

• Like 1

Defining the "South", and haing been a "reenactor' in various Civil War battles, excluding Gettysburg, PA, there are "bunches" of what are defined as 'haunted" battlefields and if there are towns bear-by, such as Fredricksburg, VA, for just 1 of many, that are 'haunted" as well. Most are in and around northen VA., but one can go South, through, Charlston,SC, Savannah,GA, Atlanta,GA, and down to the Gulf Coast states and find any number of "haunted lcations". To my knowledge, the last battle, was fought ina little NC. "town", as Gen. Sherman was marching North to joing Gen. Grant in Va.,not that Granted needed any, as by the time the dust settled in Bentonville,NC., Gen. Lee had surrender and there was no more "Army of Northern Virginia" to deal with. If "haunted battlefields" are an interest, there are plenty of books that deal with the topic, locations, driving directions, locations of where to stay, etc. If one has the time,a good 3 months might be spent just driving stopping, sight seeing, in SC., NC., and VA. Be warned, it won't come cheap and the traffic will be as bad as the prices of where one might stay. Good luck.

• Like 1

@SkepticalB It is ok..his avatar is the death dealer guy...it IS supposed to be loud like that....When A guy with a death dealer Avatar starts talking about battlefields I do not expect him to use his " inside voice"

• Like 1

Defining the "South", and haing been a "reenactor' in various Civil War battles, excluding Gettysburg, PA, there are "bunches" of what are defined as 'haunted" battlefields and if there are towns bear-by, such as Fredricksburg, VA, for just 1 of many, that are 'haunted" as well. Most are in and around northen VA., but one can go South, through, Charlston,SC, Savannah,GA, Atlanta,GA, and down to the Gulf Coast states and find any number of "haunted lcations". To my knowledge, the last battle, was fought ina little NC. "town", as Gen. Sherman was marching North to joing Gen. Grant in Va.,not that Granted needed any, as by the time the dust settled in Bentonville,NC., Gen. Lee had surrender and there was no more "Army of Northern Virginia" to deal with. If "haunted battlefields" are an interest, there are plenty of books that deal with the topic, locations, driving directions, locations of where to stay, etc. If one has the time,a good 3 months might be spent just driving stopping, sight seeing, in SC., NC., and VA. Be warned, it won't come cheap and the traffic will be as bad as the prices of where one might stay. Good luck.

Wow, that's really cool you do Civil War Reenactments. I've heard several ghost stories, where reenactors have had interesting encounters....One of my favorite stories, envolves a reenactor who was given ammunition, from a ghost! Really cool story. I think the story was featured on an episode of unsolved mysteries.

• 3 weeks later...

was....was it supposed to be like you were screaming at us for your entire post?

oh man, i literally just giggled when i read this. *high five*

• 3 weeks later...

Battle of Chickamauga in Ga near Chattanooga TN. All kinds of legends and myths such as 'green eyes'. Civil War history abounds.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So many people think that the ghosts are 'out there somewhere' and that is not necessarily so. Just hear the etherial voices that come in the night, and the random psychobabble that courses through your brain by day. This is how they make impressions or influence on the living. Not all of this random chatter is your own brain activity, those who are untrained and unexperienced do not readily pick out the thread of etherial influence. A real psychic can pick out, focus, and amplify the spirit influence or message from the etherial background noise, and these ghosts or spirits are responsive to those who are paying attention to their influences.

Edited by spacelizard667

• 3 weeks later...

Dougward5 The Loup Garou is supposed to be a "native' of my dear old Louisiana State. If you're telling him to be bama bound, he's going to be sadly disappointed. Good Ol Terrebonne Parish is where you need to go!

• 1 month later...

We get our share of Loup Garou sightings up here in Bama as well ..but our little band of werewolf hunters is heading southwest in June...got some business in the swamps on St Johns eve..lol

Absolutely no ghost, loup garou's, bigfoots, dogmen, werewolves, zombies, demons in Mississippi. All good here.

Mike

Lmao ..... you have all that and a spot where old scratch himself likes to visit. ..dead center of the 33rd parallel

..edited due to fat fingers and skinny phone. .

Edited by Dougward5