Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Boot Hill," Buffalo?

DeWitz

To paraphrase the late President Reagan, "Here we go again!" In the aftermath of the Zimmerman verdict, my hometown of Buffalo, New York has experienced its own apparent self-defense shooting case just yesterday, 7/28/13 (www.buffalonews.com/two-would-be-robbers-suffer-gunshot-wounds). Details remain sketchy in my one-newspaper-town, but we know a man was confronted by 2 would-be thieves,and his response was to shoot them, leaving both wounded, one seriously.

After such an animated response to the Martin-Zimmerman case, I thought I'd post this and ask for responses. I am intrigued by the apparently growing popularity of both 'concealed-carry' and the willingness to 'draw' and fire. Hence the "Boot Hill" allusion in the topic description. Are we heading, in this day and age of shrinking and over-stretched police departments, push-back against street crime on the part of law-abiding citizens, and just general frustration and, perhaps, fear, towards more city shootouts, and perhaps more Boot Hill burials?

• Like 2

It will not be the Wild West. It will be the farce Hollywood made of the wild west.

• Like 3

To paraphrase the late President Reagan, "Here we go again!" In the aftermath of the Zimmerman verdict, my hometown of Buffalo, New York has experienced its own apparent self-defense shooting case just yesterday, 7/28/13 (www.buffalonews.com/two-would-be-robbers-suffer-gunshot-wounds). Details remain sketchy in my one-newspaper-town, but we know a man was confronted by 2 would-be thieves,and his response was to shoot them, leaving both wounded, one seriously.

After such an animated response to the Martin-Zimmerman case, I thought I'd post this and ask for responses. I am intrigued by the apparently growing popularity of both 'concealed-carry' and the willingness to 'draw' and fire. Hence the "Boot Hill" allusion in the topic description. Are we heading, in this day and age of shrinking and over-stretched police departments, push-back against street crime on the part of law-abiding citizens, and just general frustration and, perhaps, fear, towards more city shootouts, and perhaps more Boot Hill burials?

I've lately been considering the same issue in my own way. I recently (months) began carrying again because of an incident that showed me I wasn't as secure as I'd been thinking. Walking on a very dark road early morning and seeing a woman dressed as though she was fleeing something (no shoes even) and acting incoherently. I have been thinking of scenarios where I would or would NOT shoot and the ones where pulling a trigger occur are VERY limited. Even then, I might get killed due to hesitation but I'd prefer that to killing accidentally or spending time in jail. But the very fact a person has to engage in these mental gymnastics is troubling. Troubling because I know that very many out there who carry might just shoot first and ask later. Can you imagine the carnage if the average cc citizen acted like the inner city types are currently behaving?
  • Like 4

I've lately been considering the same issue in my own way. I recently (months) began carrying again because of an incident that showed me I wasn't as secure as I'd been thinking. Walking on a very dark road early morning and seeing a woman dressed as though she was fleeing something (no shoes even) and acting incoherently. I have been thinking of scenarios where I would or would NOT shoot and the ones where pulling a trigger occur are VERY limited. Even then, I might get killed due to hesitation but I'd prefer that to killing accidentally or spending time in jail. But the very fact a person has to engage in these mental gymnastics is troubling. Troubling because I know that very many out there who carry might just shoot first and ask later. Can you imagine the carnage if the average cc citizen acted like the inner city types are currently behaving?

Some local radio personalities and call-ins are saying:" Right on! We must stand up to this!" Others are responding, "What the f#$%k? This will re-arm the bandits--theresno end to it." Others, including me, simply see no end to the arms- re-arm, re-arm-again, re-load mentality that prevails. Such an approach will also "re-arm the bandits." Hence the "Wild West" comparison. Where does it end?

Let me repeat what I always said: The West has been conquered with the gun, but it was not won until the City Marshals forced everybody to give up their guns at the entrance of town.

Edited by questionmark

Let me repeat what I always said: The West has been conquered with the gun, but it was not won until the City Marshals forced everybody to give up their guns at the entrance of town.

I do not believe that will happen in this political climate. Outlaws and "inl-aws" seem to be intent on anarchy.

I do not believe that will happen in this political climate. Outlaws and "inl-aws" seem to be intent on anarchy.

It is not only those with regard for the law and those without it, among the whole political establishments down to the "grass roots" movements there is a strong tendency to blow the whole country to pieces, just to have a good occasion to blame somebody else to disguise their own failures.

The only thing that consoles me is the old Spanish saying: "There is no evil that does not end in good".

• Like 1

then of course it could be the left leaning media pushing all of these gun stories to the forefront hoping that it will turn us into a heavily armed scared populace shoot first ask questions later. which would overwhelm the police and court system causing a general outcry for the government to step in. leaving them with nothing to do but repeal the 2nd amendment and have universal disarmament.

damn I just came up with that in like 3 seconds, a personal best.

• Like 2

then of course it could be the left leaning media pushing all of these gun stories to the forefront hoping that it will turn us into a heavily armed scared populace shoot first ask questions later. which would overwhelm the police and court system causing a general outcry for the government to step in. leaving them with nothing to do but repeal the 2nd amendment and have universal disarmament.

damn I just came up with that in like 3 seconds, a personal best.

Well done!!!

None of this is new. CC has been gaining momentum for 20+ years and has nothing to do with George Zimmerman. And while New York doesn't have the same laws as Florida, it is still perfectly legal to defend oneself with a legally possessed and carried firearm under the right circumstances.

The media is just latching onto recent incidents and drawing the Zimmerman connection because, you know, they need to sell papers to those few folks who still read them.

• Like 1

None of this is new. CC has been gaining momentum for 20+ years and has nothing to do with George Zimmerman. And while New York doesn't have the same laws as Florida, it is still perfectly legal to defend oneself with a legally possessed and carried firearm under the right circumstances.

The media is just latching onto recent incidents and drawing the Zimmerman connection because, you know, they need to sell papers to those few folks who still read them.

Of course, of course--except for the fact that this is a new angle for our particular neck of the woods. The connection to Zimmerman is chronological. And some folks think the mere possession of a handgun, much less concealed, is a felony in New York--perhaps, yes, in "The City," but in our upstate hinterlands the use thereof is gaining in popularity and practice.

• Like 1

Of course, of course--except for the fact that this is a new angle for our particular neck of the woods. The connection to Zimmerman is chronological. And some folks think the mere possession of a handgun, much less concealed, is a felony in New York--perhaps, yes, in "The City," but in our upstate hinterlands the use thereof is gaining in popularity and practice.

Possession is perfectly legal in New York State if you have a permit. A CC permit is obtainable, but certainly more difficult to get unless you have a specific reason for needing it. And the whole process for both gets much more difficult and expensive in New York City, but it is still possible to legally have both even there.

• Like 1

Possession is perfectly legal in New York State if you have a permit. A CC permit is obtainable, but certainly more difficult to get unless you have a specific reason for needing it. And the whole process for both gets much more difficult and expensive in New York City, but it is still possible to legally have both even there.

Yes, you're correct--I meant to say handgun ownership in NY City is difficult, and many think possession of a firearm in the City limits is illegal. Thanks for the correction, R-Man.

Yes, you're correct--I meant to say handgun ownership in NY City is difficult, and many think possession of a firearm in the City limits is illegal. Thanks for the correction, R-Man.

Meanwhile, 15 miles away from me in Vermont, one can walk around with their "shootin' arn" on their hip Butch Cassidy style.

Meanwhile, 15 miles away from me in Vermont, one can walk around with their "shootin' arn" on their hip Butch Cassidy style.

Which is why gun control does not work. Patchwork and no border controls will never lead to satisfactory results.

They only thing I see wrong with this is that the shooter didn't kill them. Knowing the way things work today, the robbers will probably sue the pants off the shooter and win.

• Like 1

You're not in Upstate New York, you're in "God's" Country--beautiful up there!