Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plants Blamed for Human Deaths....

seeder

This surprised me, and no its not about killer plants, but the effects of pollution in heatwaves...and plants

"Plants Blamed for Human Deaths in Heat Waves"

A new study found that plants don’t absorb as much pollution when stressed.

While much of the world has baked in a heat wave this month, new research points to a surprising culprit when it comes to killing us—plants.

A study published this week in the peer-reviewed journal Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics found that during heat waves, plants tend to absorb less pollution from the air. That puts more people at risk of developing respiratory complications, which can lead to death. (Related: "How 100 Degrees Does a Number on You.")

The research was conducted in the United Kingdom by the Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) at the University of York. It was financed by the U.K. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/07/130722-plants-heat-wave-deaths-ozone-air-pollution-stomata-environment/?

Lol, that's just funny. Humans create pollution.. But it's the plants fault they aren't sucking up all the pollution we create.

• Like 5

Lol, that's just funny. Humans create pollution.. But it's the plants fault they aren't sucking up all the pollution we create.

:tu: Bloody plants eh, not up to standard and slacking in the heatwaves, (like we all do) !! :w00t:

but I guess we can say 'tobacco plants' do kill eventually..

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

I was expecting Triffids...

• Like 2

Strange headline!! LOL

Plants are just doing what they can to protect themselves and survive.

We need to decrease the pollution and build more forests.

• Like 2

Strange headline!! LOL

Plants are just doing what they can to protect themselves and survive.

We need to decrease the pollution and build more forests.

No we need to increase ozone to help the trees stay healthy after all they use the ozone for food. The problem is the heat. Joking. You correct.

• Like 1

Stupid plants! I say we get rid of all of them!

• Like 1

We're trying, one chemical at a time, clearing one acre at a time. :td:

Edited by Babe Ruth

We're trying, one chemical at a time, clearing one acre at a time. :td:

Don't worry, we won't totally succeed. Nature will drop the smackdown on our ass near the end. The planet takes care of itself.

• Like 2

When I read the title, I thought of "The Happening."

*shrugs* They can't be expected to clean up our mess.

• Like 3

Purifier, you're being too pessimistic. Would it really be impossible for us to wipe all other life on earth and live on totally artificial things? We already have 3D printer and it's that far from printing food from scrap, total scrap, prime substances. After that, we can just burn everything and feel good about a clean and orderly world.

We shouldn't dodge our part in this world. We live here, we take from this world, we take from living things and kill them to sustain ourselves. Because of this we shouldn't be ignorant about the possible consequences in long terms but look at them in the eye.

It's just up to us to find that something which allows us to truly fight these things. We fight for one thing above all, survival. Survival that's worth living, not just any survival. It's not utopy, it's real. But our own utopias endanger it and make it more and more an utopia which it wasn't to begin with.

• Like 1

Purifier, you're being too pessimistic. Would it really be impossible for us to wipe all other life on earth and live on totally artificial things? We already have 3D printer and it's that far from printing food from scrap, total scrap, prime substances. After that, we can just burn everything and feel good about a clean and orderly world.

We shouldn't dodge our part in this world. We live here, we take from this world, we take from living things and kill them to sustain ourselves. Because of this we shouldn't be ignorant about the possible consequences in long terms but look at them in the eye.

It's just up to us to find that something which allows us to truly fight these things. We fight for one thing above all, survival. Survival that's worth living, not just any survival. It's not utopy, it's real. But our own utopias endanger it and make it more and more an utopia which it wasn't to begin with.

I was referring to the forces of nature, Mikko-Kun. I believe earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes and tornados will long wipe us out before we get a chance to strip this planet totally of life. And if those things don't get us...there's always the asteroid scenario, in which we go the way of the dinosaurs. How about a fast killing disease? Or worse, nuclear war by our own hand.

See the planet or nature has a way of thinning the herd, time and time again in history, you see that with animals that have come and gone over the ages. And we human animals, even as smart as we are, there is no exception; don't make the mistake in believing that. Or that we are all powerful and can prevent the forces of nature from delivering upon us our eventual extinction. We can just as easily be here one day and gone the next. But the planet and the current life or new life will carry on without us.

Always bet on the planet and the forces of nature, because we have yet to conquer the forces of nature. The planet and nature will win every time. Even if we developed the technology to get off this planet and colonize another planet, this planet and nature will still win. Because it simply got rid of us, one way or the other.

What I said may sound like pessimism to you, so far, but really I just have faith in the planet will take care of itself. So I'm not worried about what we do to the planet. Because nature survives one way or the other, especially after it wipes out a species or two. All you have to do is look at the cataclysmic events of the earth.

You can always hope, there's a good chance those things do a good work and clean up for us. I think we have a potential to be an exception though, only if we'd use that potential. We could dig mines Fallout-style, ever played that game? The same thing, but make the mines a few kilometres below the surface, under a mountain if you wanna play safe. Though having that mass over your head ready to collapse doesn't sound safe, granted. Many of those kinda mines scattered all over the world so at least one might survive. Bring all seeds and genebanks and such there. Food can be preserved without electricity and if you can vent out the air or at least remove carbon dioxide and other fire-gases without external ventilation then you can cook without electricity too. We could do this instead of keeping this money-circus up and stop pretending we need all the jobs we have now. It's a choise, it'll be a choise until it's too late, if that day comes. Or if our species is here when that day comes, more like it.

I know the planet takes care of itself. But I dont see why not at least try to ensure survival if we have all it takes except the effort and initiative. If we did survive and managed to f up the world after surviving a doomsday meteorite, then it'd only postpone the recovery of our planet a bit, and that's the real worst-case scenario, that we'd postpone it. Because that's all we can do in the end, postpone it. So might as well bet on the chance that in the end the future generations won't be so stupid, and survive.

A new study found that plants don’t absorb as much pollution when stressed.

This is a surprise because ....?

Doug

I like plants, and one of our Royals is said to "talk to trees". Err !

• Like 1

Wouldn't it technically be humans that should be blamed in this case? I imagine some plants have reacted to long periods of high heat by doing less of what they normally do without any real harm to the world around them for a very long time now. However when massive amounts of pollution are introduced, that creates a problem.

• Like 1