Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inca Child Sacrifice Victims Were Drugged

Still Waters

Three Inca mummies found near the lofty summit of Volcán Llullaillaco in Argentina were so well preserved that they put a human face on the ancient ritual of capacocha—which ended with their sacrifice.

Now the bodies of 13-year-old Llullaillaco Maiden and her younger companions Llullaillaco Boy and Lightning Girl have revealed that mind-altering substances played a part in their deaths and during the year-long series of ceremonial processes that prepared them for their final hours.

http://news.national...andes-children/

• Like 3

Amazing preservation, looks as if they only died recently.

• Like 2

I would hope they were drugged so much they didn't know what was happening to them. Poor kids.

• Like 3

Fascinating and sad. I want to read more on these sacrifices.

Cool Careers: Archeological Chemist!

• Like 2

I've long heard the theory that they had to be drugged to go so peacefully to their deaths. The poor little kids hopefully just went to sleep and never woke up. Never heard they were bludgeoned or anything.

Edited by moonshadow60
  • Like 1

whacked off your face on coke & booze for years, and then dying a completely pointless & stupid death?

welcome to my world.....

;-)

The poor little kids hopefully just went to sleep and never woke up.

that's what's puzzling me.

coca's not a sophorific, it's a stimulant. although it's nowhere near the strength of cocaine, in large amounts it would've been like a really huge caffeine buzz, certainly to a 13yo!

why wouldn't they have used something like Ayahuasca, or Yagé, which would've been sophorific, and a much more spiritual high?

that would make sense, but coca?

shed've been wired, not unconscious unfortunately.....

whacked off your face on coke & booze for years, and then dying a completely pointless & stupid death?

welcome to my world.....

;-)

You're still alive! :) Let's find a better reason than sacrifice for your death (in the very far future). How about freedom fighter for the liberation of boogers! Go Shrooma! You're the hero to millions of snots being freed from shnoz's into tissue! Fight on!

• Like 1

that's what's puzzling me.

coca's not a sophorific, it's a stimulant. although it's nowhere near the strength of cocaine, in large amounts it would've been like a really huge caffeine buzz, certainly to a 13yo!

why wouldn't they have used something like Ayahuasca, or Yagé, which would've been sophorific, and a much more spiritual high?

that would make sense, but coca?

shed've been wired, not unconscious unfortunately.....

Some of the comments on the site argued that these children were probably ill and were chewing coca leaves to relieve symptoms of asthma or other breathing type illnesses and were brought up to the burial sites to die since they were sick. Possibly children of high stature.

• Like 1

Some of the comments on the site argued that these children were probably ill and were chewing coca leaves to relieve symptoms of asthma or other breathing type illnesses and were brought up to the burial sites to die since they were sick. Possibly children of high stature.

that's a pretty good idea Lady!

if she had asthma, the freezing cold, rarefied air at 23,000ft, coupled with a shedload of beer, and she wouldn't have lasted long!

maybe she wasn't sacrificed, but just put out of her misery....?

• Like 1

that's a pretty good idea Lady!

if she had asthma, the freezing cold, rarefied air at 23,000ft, coupled with a shedload of beer, and she wouldn't have lasted long!

maybe she wasn't sacrificed, but just put out of her misery....?

Thanks, but not my idea really... :blush: Someone else made that comment but I do have to agree it's more than likely considering the evidence that is presented.

I'd like to go out that way... if I knew I was going to die might as well go out high as a kite.

• Like 1

I've long heard the theory that they had to be drugged to go so peacefully to their deaths. The poor little kids hopefully just went to sleep and never woke up. Never heard they were bludgeoned or anything.

There was a documentary a few years ago after gold and silver statue offerings were being found at this one site, and that theory was discussed on it..how they seemed to have just looked like they had fallen asleep..

I'd like to go out that way... if I knew I was going to die might as well go out high as a kite.

have you been looking at my bucket list Lady??

:-D

• Like 1

have you been looking at my bucket list Lady??

:-D

Perhaps it's a case of great minds thinking alike! :tsu:

• Like 1

Interesting, LL. I know there are brilliant minds out there who work on this stuff, but I often wonder how often we get our interpretations of these mysteries right (or wrong)? We may be able to get the lab results right, but what about the less tangible?

According to another interpretation, of a different pre-Columbian culture (Aztec), they wanted the children sacrifices to be suffering and in pain so they would cry, and "water the earth".

http://en.wikipedia....umbian_cultures

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Interesting, LL. I know there are brilliant minds out there who work on this stuff, but I often wonder how often we get our interpretations of these mysteries right (or wrong)? We may be able to get the lab results right, but what about the less tangible?

According to another interpretation, of a different pre-Columbian culture (Aztec), they wanted the children sacrifices to be suffering and in pain so they would cry, and "water the earth".

http://en.wikipedia....umbian_cultures

That's pretty interesting. I'm sure belief systems all over the ancient world were just as far out. I'm glad we don't do that now... well most of us. There are still some crazy people out there that do some cruel things in the name of their god.

Most recently there, this year, was a cult (I forget who/what they worshipped) that tossed an infant into fire as a sacrifice to their "god"... sometimes all it takes for a group of people to commit such atrocities is a charismatic leader with crazy ideas and a weak mind.