Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Macrophotographs of ant warfare

Still Waters

"The worst enemies of ants are often other ants," writes entomologist-cum-photographer Alex Wild. And what brutally savage enemies they are.

Ants are among the most remarkable – and remarkably diverse – social organisms on earth. This makes them endlessly interesting photographic subjects, especially through the lens of someone like Wild.

http://io9.com/macro...-epic-936696588

• Like 2

oh wow thats what you call beats mode

Definitely my kind of action photos! Thought this comment on another photo of his was interesting

th e offending insects aren't always killed. This Camponotus was simply dragged to the edge of the plant and dropped.

Jack-jumper ant. There's another one for Australia. They get all the goodies.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Definitely my kind of action photos! Thought this comment on another photo of his was interesting

th e offending insects aren't always killed. This Camponotus was simply dragged to the edge of the plant and dropped.

I wonder if that's the ant world equivalent of being "thrown out of a bar in NYC" :w00t:

I wonder if that's the ant world equivalent of being "thrown out of a bar in NYC" :w00t:

Haha. Yeah, I thought it was pretty unceremonious and clever of the ants! lol

Edited by QuiteContrary

I have 2 kinds of ants near where I live, harvester ants and small ants(not sure what they're called).

The small ants invade your house, but are harmless because they don't get into electronics and don't have stingers(they have some kind of spray or something). They have a tendency to invade and kill the larger ant colonies.

The harvester ants come in two colors, red and black. The red ones are violent, the black ones are not. I have personally never had a problem with the black ones since they're so mellow. As long as you don't go kicking their nest apart, they ignore everything but seed collection. I had a friend who would stick his hand in their highway lines(slowly) and they would just walk over him without attacking.

We have Fire Ants, oh they are lovely. You step on a mound and they just kind sneak up your leg, then they bite all at once. I saw them do that to a little kid, they had to take him to the hospital. They leave nasty little pus filled bumps.