Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US man 'abandoned' in US jail gets $4m

Still Waters

A university student in the US city of San Diego has received $4.1m (£2.7m) from the US government after he was abandoned for more than four days in a prison cell, his lawyer said.

Daniel Chong said he drank his urine to stay alive, tried to carve a message to his mother on his arm and hallucinated.

He was held in a drug raid in 2012, but told he would not be charged. Nobody returned to his cell for four days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-23512853

• Like 1

"Mr Chong's lawyer said that as a result, the DEA had introduced new policies for detention, including checking cells daily and installing cameras inside them."

How about something simple like windows in the doors? - Or better yet, how about the DEA turns over it's victims prisoners to the local police/county jail to hold?

I've always said that the DEA and ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) need to be rolled into the FBI... Too many bureaucracies - all basically doing the same darned thing...

• Like 3

"Mr Chong's lawyer said that as a result, the DEA had introduced new policies for detention, including checking cells daily and installing cameras inside them."

How about something simple like windows in the doors? - Or better yet, how about the DEA turns over it's victims prisoners to the local police/county jail to hold?

I've always said that the DEA and ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) need to be rolled into the FBI... Too many bureaucracies - all basically doing the same darned thing...

And one as effective as the other.

• Like 2

oh wow that sucks, but atleast he made a million dollars each day he was in the cell XD

i wouldnt mind tripping out and carving my arm for 4 mill

• Like 4

You know, that really sucks and I'm sure he was thirsty but drinking urine to survive after only four days? Actually it would've been sooner probably since four days is all he was in there. Also, after his first couple 'leaks' if he hadn't had any water how could he keep drinking it? How many times can you drink the same p***s before your body absorbs all of anything left that might be good? Couldn't that poison you too? I guess he was poisoned a bit.

And carving a message to his mom in his arm! Hallucinations? This dude is a loon. He belongs in a psych ward.

Was he in a dungeon? A solitary confinement cell? This don't make much sense.

• Like 1

You know, that really sucks and I'm sure he was thirsty but drinking urine to survive after only four days? Actually it would've been sooner probably since four days is all he was in there. Also, after his first couple 'leaks' if he hadn't had any water how could he keep drinking it? How many times can you drink the same p***s before your body absorbs all of anything left that might be good? Couldn't that poison you too? I guess he was poisoned a bit.

And carving a message to his mom in his arm! Hallucinations? This dude is a loon. He belongs in a psych ward.

Was he in a dungeon? A solitary confinement cell? This don't make much sense.

You spend 4 days in a cell with no food or water, and lets see how your mental state is after. BTW you wouldnt know anyone is ever coming to get you.

Oh the other hand, Ill take 4 days in a cell for 4 mill, no problem.

Edited by preacherman76

You spend 4 days in a cell with no food or water, and lets see how your mental state is after. BTW you wouldnt know anyone is ever coming to get you.

Oh the other hand, Ill take 4 days in a cell for 4 mill, no problem.

I know and the whole thing was that he didn't know what was going on. I get it. That said, I still think he's a wuss. I also think the settlement was justified. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. :)

I know and the whole thing was that he didn't know what was going on. I get it. That said, I still think he's a wuss. I also think the settlement was justified. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. :)

How long can the human body go without water? For all he knew, he was going to die in there (hence the arm carving).

Also, how was "check cells daily" NOT a policy before this?!

• Like 2

How long can the human body go without water? For all he knew, he was going to die in there (hence the arm carving).

Probably a good four days. I'm sure many people have gone much longer without it. I ain't saying it's easy and would probably have egg on my face for saying he is a wuss if I found myself in the same situation but he seriously had to be in a secret dungeon for nobody to know he was there. Given that he was arrested in a raid leads me to believe he'd have been locked up with or around other inmates who obviously weren't forgotten. There is no small degree of lacking details in this story.

• Like 2

There is no small degree of lacking details in this story.

Agreed. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks...

In my opinion, he deserves every penny of that 4-Mil.

Well, minus 2.9 Mil from the lawyers. :w00t:

Anyway... his detention was clearly below and beneath "normality"

I think the crux of this cases was that he had to drink his own urine(though I'm not sure how that could be proven) to prevent potentially dangerous dehydration, and I think the judge was not happy with him having to do that, determining that the DEA failed in this detention case, big time.

Edited by pallidin

I still think he's a wuss.

i'm sure you would not be any different in same situation.

everyone is a hero behind a monitor

Edited by aztek

i'm sure you would not be any different in same situation.

everyone is a hero behind a monitor

I ain't saying it's easy and would probably have egg on my face for saying he is a wuss if I found myself in the same situation

• Like 2

Easy "he Paul, is there anyone in the cells?"

*Paul checks paperwork*

"Nope"

"cool, easy day today then".

• Like 1

I'm surprised they didn't need more cell space and find him solely on that with everyone being arrested for what I perceive as minor crimes (primarily the drug "war" arrests).

That would suck. In retrospect I'm bet he's glad it happened though.

Edited by Wickian

you certainly can survive more than four days without water, but you would be very, very ill. try going just one day without, and see how you feel. at the very least, you'll likely be getting some nasty headaches, you'll probably feel dizzy and will have trouble focusing. four days for someone unprepared? that would be quite dangerous.

add that to the fact that he was completely alone, with no clue when or if someone would actually come back? yeah, i think it's a fair settlement.

• Like 3

Oh hell yea. Monday you're a regular college kid being dumb hanging out with friends getting high and then the FBI kicks in your door making it the worst day of your life. The Feds screw you up from Tuesday-Thursday and by next weekend you got four million dollars to by a ton of drugs for everybody. And you even get a cool S scar your arm.

Edited by F3SS

I would like to think that if it had been me I would rather not take the money but sue to have everyone involved fired... (though $4 mil is a tasty sum - or whatever is left after the lawyers get it) -

or the best of both worlds half the money and fire the lot of them...

• Like 2

i dont mind starving food&water for USD1 mio/day

But only if you know this. This guy could be dead.

• Like 1

That would be absolutely terrifying .

oh wow that sucks, but atleast he made a million dollars each day he was in the cell XD

i wouldnt mind tripping out and carving my arm for 4 mill

Yes, but he barely survived it. You can live a long time without food, but not without water.

Why don´t you try not drinking anything for 4 days (and not cheating by eating wet food either) and then come back.