Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Honk If You Think Geese Are Good Guard Dogs

Still Waters

Police in rural parts of China's Xinjiang Province are no longer turning to dogs to stand guard at police stations at night. They're using geese instead. And it works.

According to a recent report, a guy tried to break into a police station to take back a motorbike confiscated by the cops. The guard geese sounded the alarm, awakening the sleeping officers.

But ... really? Guard geese?

http://news.national...d-police-china/

I've heard of this before....So a *honk* from me :D

*HONK*

Mabon.

• Like 1

Honk, geese are smarter than they appear and I've been chased by angry geese before. No one messes with angry geese

• Like 2

I know they can be mean little schnoodles and the hissing they make is VERY intimidating!! You can placate a dog, a goose not so much.

• Like 1

My point is merely that dogs are more than guards, geese do produce some down and eggs, but that doesn't replace what dogs offer.

They will certainly alert you of an intruder, but cannot really cause much harm if the intruder is not scared away.

• Like 1

Honk... (but I think dogs are better for that)

Here is rural Oklahoma a lot of people keep Guinea Hens for that (and to eat all the ticks that might get into their yards)... Guinea Hens aren't as aggressive as geese, but they are certainly loud and they lay a lot of eggs to boot...

• Like 2

Honk... (but I think dogs are better for that)

Here is rural Oklahoma a lot of people keep Guinea Hens for that (and to eat all the ticks that might get into their yards)... Guinea Hens aren't as aggressive as geese, but they are certainly loud and they lay a lot of eggs to boot...

Do guinea hen eggs taste much different than chicken eggs? I don't think I've ever had goose eggs, but I hear they have a funny taste to them. I raise chickens (about 20) and I like the free range eggs. Amazing difference when you compare them to a store bought.

• Like 1

Geese are d****! they crap all over the place. Canadian geese are the stupidest birds i have ever seen. The wont get out of you way even you are honking the horn and driving toward them. They are also mean b*******!

^^^^^^^^

I think the geese won against this guy.

• Like 3

Do guinea hen eggs taste much different than chicken eggs? I don't think I've ever had goose eggs, but I hear they have a funny taste to them. I raise chickens (about 20) and I like the free range eggs. Amazing difference when you compare them to a store bought.

They taste pretty much the same as chicken eggs - though I believe (I'm not 100% sure though) that they are actually more nutritious...

• Like 1

I do not know abour Geese but I have a pet attack duck named wilma....lets me know when anyone gets close to the house and will fly right into a strangers face and bite...it does not really hurt but it freaks people out a lot...

• Like 2

This isnt really new, my uncle had a scrap metal yard in the north of England, he had geese there as guards, some 35 years ago. Used to scare the poop out of me as they would run right up to you and hiss and flap their wings....

• Like 1

Years ago I worked with someone that told me a friend of his that had a scrap/junk yard had trouble with intruders getting past his guard dogs. Someone told him to get an ostrich , which he did and nobody got in after that!

Geese are very aggressive and will bite like the dickens. They do poop all over the place. That's the thing with birds.

• Like 1

I do not know abour Geese but I have a pet attack duck named wilma....lets me know when anyone gets close to the house and will fly right into a strangers face and bite...it does not really hurt but it freaks people out a lot...

Woah, neat! I'm not sure how I would react to that.

House-training a parrot that you let fly around the house is a good example, although they also make good indoor watch-birds.

Don't ever pick up a gosling when mama is near :whistle:

You'll see just how powerful and aggressive they are...

They can knock down a full grown adult...web feet full bore to face

Don't ever pick up a gosling when mama is near :whistle:

You'll see just how powerful and aggressive they are...

They can knock down a full grown adult...web feet full bore to face

Yep. But they are mostly all bark. If you stand up to them, they don't have any defense or attack moves. The initial jump is all. They pinch a little bit, but a good kick will get you the upper hand.

Yep. But they are mostly all bark. If you stand up to them, they don't have any defense or attack moves. The initial jump is all. They pinch a little bit, but a good kick will get you the upper hand.

Ah, but my husband was bending down to pick up the gosling, not even looking at mama. By the time he heard "swoosh" "swoosh", and stood up and saw her it was too late. She knocked him clean on his butt. His best friend never laughed so hard.

They can be intimidated, I've read. Supposedly, you need to stand your ground and not act afraid, not cover your face and not wave your arms and such. Never tried it though. I've gone rounds with rooster and that was enough for me!!!

Edited by QuiteContrary

Geese are well known for being an early warning system, Guinea Fowl also make a racket when someone enters their territory.

But for a feathered "guard dog" nothing beats a flock of Cassowaries, haha!

Ah, but my husband was bending down to pick up the gosling, not even looking at mama. By the time he heard "swoosh" "swoosh", and stood up and saw her it was too late. She knocked him clean on his butt. His best friend never laughed so hard.

They can be intimidated, I've read. Supposedly, you need to stand your ground and not act afraid, not cover your face and not wave your arms and such. Never tried it though. I've gone rounds with rooster and that was enough for me!!!

I've had my run inns with a rooster as well.