Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to Not-Assert our Rights

Yamato

In a total Fifth Amendment FAIL, two suspects dump their rights into the sewer and talk to police.

• Like 2

What do you want them to do? Not say a thing and be arrested anyway? The first guy was honest and made the cop’s job easier, I know that is something foreign to you, but I know judges take being honest and telling the truth into consideration and are more lenient with the sentence. And the 2nd guy was just an idiot.

Edited by Odin11

What do you want them to do? Not say a thing and be arrested anyway?

To not forsake their rights, whether they're arrested or not. Check out the experts I presented in the video on post #304 of the "Citizen of Israel" thread to understand why talking to police doesn't help you.

• Like 1

To not forsake their rights, whether they're arrested or not. Check out the experts I presented in the video on post #304 of the "Citizen of Israel" thread to understand why talking to police doesn't help you.

I don't need to check out the so called "experts" because I know it not true. Having a number of judges in my family and as friends and even more friends and family members that are cops I know exactly how to act and what to say and not say around cops, and its nothing like what you think people should do.

I have to ask, are you one of those people who have gotten in trouble with the law and now blame the police? You seem to greatly dislike the police.

Edited by Odin11

I don't need to check out the so called "experts" because I know it not true. Having a number of judges in my family and as friends and even more friends and family members that are cops I know exactly how to act and what to say and not say around cops, and its nothing like what you think people should do.

I have to ask, are you one of those people who have gotten in trouble with the law and now blame the police? You seem to greatly dislike the police.

I distrust authority that would use force control on people in violation of their liberty. Is there a personal basis for this? I think back to an ex-g/f who was propositioned by police to perform sexual acts on them for her DUI to be discharged. I'm sure that her willingness to hum on their willies had nothing to do with justice for her DUI charge. Police don't deserve any more benefit of the doubt than any other profession particularly when they're allowed to lie to us. Police can and do lie all the time. Why trust what isn't trustworthy? Why confuse distrust with dislike?

I'm glad you know exactly how to talk to police (in order to assert our rights, right?). It would be great for you to get a Youtube channel and provide some examples of that, especially when none currently exist.

• Like 2

You know what is one of the most important rights these people have? To make their own decisions. If they want to cooperate, they are asserting that right.

You know what is one of the most important rights these people have? To make their own decisions. If they want to cooperate, they are asserting that right.

While people do have the right to be stupid, they should almost never assert that right.

While people do have the right to be stupid, they should almost never assert that right.

Unfortunately I've seen it asserted here on this forum more than anywhere else.

• Like 3

Unfortunately I've seen it asserted here on this forum more than anywhere else.

If that is so then, IMO, you either spend too much time here, or you hang out with extremely bright people IRL.

You can not tell someone when and how they are to use their rights. That's a Dictatorship. Are you supporting a Dictatorship? Yamato supports dictators!

...my brain hurts lol

• Like 2

If they don't want to cooperate with police, they are also asserting that right.

You can not tell someone when and how they are to use their rights. That's a Dictatorship. Are you supporting a Dictatorship? Yamato supports dictators!

...my brain hurts lol

Acknowledging the Bill of Rights isn't supporting dictators. What a toolish foreigners' perspective that is. We have explicit Constitutional rights codified in our rule of law in this country. Our rights might be infinite, and I don't dictate what our rights are NOT like you have tried and failed to do repeatedly. But I know a few specific rights that we do have, and they're in the Bill of Rights, and these characters in this OP refused to exercise them. I have never implied that people can't throw their rights away by refusing to exercise them. Instead, I've said in order to have rights, you have to exercise rights. If you refuse to protect yourself with the rights you have, they're as good as gone already. A world you would prefer Americans live in by the tone of your replies here.

Every episode of 'Cops' is an exhibition in how not to exercise rights. Every edited cherry-picked episode depicts smart cops and dumb people throwing their rights away and incriminating themselves. So in that, the OP video isn't very special; however, I wanted to find a video where the subjects were obviously guilty to show that even if we're guilty we still have the right not to nail our own coffin shut.

If they don't want to cooperate with police, they are also asserting that right.

Acknowledging the Bill of Rights isn't supporting dictators. What a toolish foreigners' perspective that is. We have explicit Constitutional rights codified in our rule of law in this country. Our rights might be infinite, and I don't dictate what our rights are NOT like you have tried and failed to do repeatedly. But I know a few specific rights that we do have, and they're in the Bill of Rights, and these characters in this OP refused to exercise them. I have never implied that people can't throw their rights away by refusing to exercise them. Instead, I've said in order to have rights, you have to exercise rights. If you refuse to protect yourself with the rights you have, they're as good as gone already. A world you would prefer Americans live in by the tone of your replies here.

He exercised his right to free speech. I have not dictated or tried to limit anyones rights. I won't bring in the other thread into here.

I might be a Canadian Citizen, but I have the same rights you do so I can discuss these rights in an open forum. But you need to read between the lines Yamato.

Indeed. It is fully their right to do so, and it brings me to my point: Its wrong for you to act as if cooperation with the police somehow means people dont know their rights or dont want them.

If you refuse to protect yourself with the rights you have, they're as good as gone already.

No, they're not as good as gone because the option is still them to exercise them when they so wish.

Heres the difference between you and I, Yamato:

I believe we can "assert" our right to freedom of speech perfectly fine by simply saying whats on my mind whenever I feel like it. You seem to believe that the only way to "assert" your freedom of speech is to go around harassing people to show them that you can say whatever you want and its wrong for them to do anything.

• Like 1

I believe we can "assert" our right to freedom of speech perfectly fine by simply saying whats on my mind whenever I feel like it. You seem to believe that the only way to "assert" your freedom of speech is to go around harassing people to show them that you can say whatever you want and its wrong for them to do anything.

That's exactly how he puts it...You just couldn't make that stuff up..

If you don't do it in front of the word police, you'll never know how free you really are.

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Indeed. It is fully their right to do so, and it brings me to my point: Its wrong for you to act as if cooperation with the police somehow means people dont know their rights or dont want them.

No, they're not as good as gone because the option is still them to exercise them when they so wish.

Cooperation doesn't equate to people not knowing or wanting rights, I never said that. My whole position is that if people choose not to, that alone is no reason to condemn them.

Cooperation doesn't equate to people not knowing or wanting rights, I never said that. My whole position is that if people choose not to, that alone is no reason to condemn them.

Thats one position to take, but don't fool yourself that if you have been seem committing a crime your unwillingness to talk to a law enforcement officer will have negative consequences for you. Just so you know :tu:

We have this "Free Man Movement" thing over here and they jump through the same hoops to exert their rights as free men, but most of them are fairly anti-social and anti-society. If we all decided to act like them we would descend into chaos in a very short time. I have a certain amount of admiration for their belief - but there are bigger and better social battles that need fighting - and they need fighting by well organised groups cooperating to build a better society.

Br Cornelius

Thats one position to take, but don't fool yourself that if you have been seem committing a crime your unwillingness to talk to a law enforcement officer will have negative consequences for you. Just so you know :tu:

We have this "Free Man Movement" thing over here and they jump through the same hoops to exert their rights as free men, but most of them are fairly anti-social and anti-society. If we all decided to act like them we would descend into chaos in a very short time. I have a certain amount of admiration for their belief - but there are bigger and better social battles that need fighting - and they need fighting by well organised groups cooperating to build a better society.

Br Cornelius

Maybe some of the "Free Men" are anti-social but that is no reason for them to lose their rights. If they're anti-social they might be more likely to act the way they do, and that's okay, right?

If stopping everyone for no reason is unconstitutional then it should be documented, fought against, raised up the legal food chain, and struck down. Rosa Parks broke a law by sitting in the front of the bus. That law making black people have to sit in the rear of the bus was stricken down as unconstitutional. It was just sitting on a bus, no big deal, right? Surely there were other more important battles going on in society than what seat cushion on a bus one is sitting on when they got a ride, and yet these are the defining moments in our history where we find out where our freedom really stands in the face of tyranny.

• Like 1

Yamato, remember driving is a privilege and not a right. There are many conditions put upon drivers.

~Thanato

There are a few court cases that disagree with your statement. Driving as a right was shown in Kent v. Dulles 357US116, a Wisconsin case Weirich v. State 140 Wis 98, and Ligare v. Chicago, for which I don't have the case number.

Before the internal combustion engine everybody had a right to go here and there as he pleased, either by foot or by horse and buggy.

The advent of the automobile did not negate that right.

There are a few court cases that disagree with your statement. Driving as a right was shown in Kent v. Dulles 357US116, a Wisconsin case Weirich v. State 140 Wis 98, and Ligare v. Chicago, for which I don't have the case number.

Before the internal combustion engine everybody had a right to go here and there as he pleased, either by foot or by horse and buggy.

The advent of the automobile did not negate that right.

If driving is a right how come you need to get licensed? How come their are many regulations which if broken you can have your license suspended?

• Like 1

If driving is a right how come you need to get licensed? How come their are many regulations which if broken you can have your license suspended?

Are you saying that I don't have a right to start my own business because I would need a business license? I don't have the right to vote because they require me to register first? I don't have a right to liberty because if I break a regulation they might imprison me?