Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

metamorphosis

tyrant lizard

After watching a program about how normal crickets turn into ravening locusts I got to wondering if any such natural transformation was physically possible in mammals, or even humans? Is there some biological reason that, say an amphibian can change from a tadpole to a frog, and an insect from a catapiller to a butterfly, but a man can't change into a werewolf?

And I'm not saying I think there are werewolfs (everyone knows they are bipedal Hyraxes) I'm just wondering if it is a remote scientific possibility.

In my opinion the werewolf phenomenon developed as an explanation for aberrant behavior which we now call serial murder or spree killing. The 1980's case of Andrei Chikatilo in former S.S.R. Ukraine demonstrated that serial killing is not the sole creation of 'Western decadence.' Your boy Jack in Whitechapel was one of the first modern examples of the breed, but the US has excelled in producing them (perhaps because of our profound materialism and personal alienation, who knows?).

In any event, I think the metamorphosis is largely mental-emotional-spiritual, although some researchers claim to be able to identify organic brain changes (perhaps left over from previous trauma, or possibly a barely perceptible cerebral disease process) in serial murderers. The change of a seemingly mild-mannered do-gooder such as Ted Bundy, or a quiet dogcatcher and regular churchgoer like Dennis Rader, into a raging, slavering, cutting, slashing, raping or choking monster is no less drastic or shocking than Lon Chaney, Jr. growing fur in time-lapse photography, or the latest computer graphic film transformations.

• Like 1

Yes, but for mammals it is in the womb. Look at the various stages from conception and it can be seen we, to an extent, mirror our evolution from simple celled creatures, and via fishlike creatures to human. On my understanding. Though the metamorphosis you speak of, if possible, would be in the future and more like a one way change, not going back and forth. Matter needs to be changed to other matter, heat will be generated, body mass lost or gained. There are many problems. On other hand I may perform a simple spell and you can become a cockroach. Sorry no other creatures available at this time, please call back in thousand years.

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri
  • Like 1

In my opinion the werewolf phenomenon developed as an explanation for aberrant behavior which we now call serial murder or spree killing. The 1980's case of Andrei Chikatilo in former S.S.R. Ukraine demonstrated that serial killing is not the sole creation of 'Western decadence.' Your boy Jack in Whitechapel was one of the first modern examples of the breed, but the US has excelled in producing them (perhaps because of our profound materialism and personal alienation, who knows?).

In any event, I think the metamorphosis is largely mental-emotional-spiritual, although some researchers claim to be able to identify organic brain changes (perhaps left over from previous trauma, or possibly a barely perceptible cerebral disease process) in serial murderers. The change of a seemingly mild-mannered do-gooder such as Ted Bundy, or a quiet dogcatcher and regular churchgoer like Dennis Rader, into a raging, slavering, cutting, slashing, raping or choking monster is no less drastic or shocking than Lon Chaney, Jr. growing fur in time-lapse photography, or the latest computer graphic film transformations.

Thats a good point. I always thought the medeival murderers were branded werewolves and vampires because God created all men and therefore these ones had to be possessed otherwise it would be God's doing?
  • Like 1

Yes, but for mammals it is in the womb. Look at the various stages from conception and it can be seen we, to an extent, mirror our evolution from simple celled creatures, and via fishlike creatures to human. On my understanding. Though the metamorphosis you speak of, if possible, would be in the future and more like a one way change, not going back and forth. Matter needs to be changed to other matter, heat will be generated, body mass lost or gained. There are many problems. On other hand I may perform a simple spell and you can become a cockroach. Sorry no other creatures available at this time, please call back in thousand years.

Thats sounds cool. The power of flight and I can survive the coming nuclear apocolypse.

Thats sounds cool. The power of flight and I can survive the coming nuclear apocolypse.

IA NAMRASIT! IA SIN! IA NANNA!

BATAMAAGANASTA IA KIA KANPA!

MAGABATHI-YA NANNA KANPA!

MASHRITA NANNA ZIA KANPA!

IA MAG! IA GAMAG! IA ZAGASTHENA KIA!

ASHTAG KARELLIOSH!

The spell cast, enjoy :)

What about surviving a can of mortein?

IA NAMRASIT! IA SIN! IA NANNA!

BATAMAAGANASTA IA KIA KANPA!

MAGABATHI-YA NANNA KANPA!

MASHRITA NANNA ZIA KANPA!

IA MAG! IA GAMAG! IA ZAGASTHENA KIA!

ASHTAG KARELLIOSH!

The spell cast, enjoy :)

click click eeek.

What about surviving a can of mortein?

yeah I just morph back into a human and put a gas mask on - one of the benefits of being a wereroach

Well apparently hyrax can turn into dogman, bigfoot, mammoths, etc.

• Like 1

And spaceships and lightning bolts and sharks, too, I think

Edited by tyrant lizard
  • Like 1

Thats a good point. I always thought the medeival murderers were branded werewolves and vampires because God created all men and therefore these ones had to be possessed otherwise it would be God's doing?

Good point--I think you're correct in the medieval "scholastic" theological approach; same idea as suicides not buried in 'hallowed ground.' The de-humanization of the offender would demonstrate their 'ungodly' origins. Thanks for that.

• Like 1

But these serial killers although animalistic didn't actually change in appearance at all, although Bundy claimed to have this force take over his mind

Interesting theory, but I think that in the old times they were more prone to "demonic possession" or witchery, rather than werewolves and vampires. Anyway, it could be both, even if ww and vamps were mainly accredited for physical diseases.

About the "God's doing", don't forget that for Catholics (the most spread and for a long time the only church available in Middle Age) there's "free will", so it wouldn't be God's doing, but man's, who would have willingly chosen to follow the evil (and thus going to Hell).

Good point--I think you're correct in the medieval "scholastic" theological approach; same idea as suicides not buried in 'hallowed ground.' The de-humanization of the offender would demonstrate their 'ungodly' origins. Thanks for that.

As far as I know, they weren't buried on holy ground because they were sinners (and went to Hell), thus they couldn't rest there.

Funny side note, still today (in theory, I don't know how much it's still applied) for Catholic Church, if someone who got married in church got divorced, he/she won't be able to be buried at the cimitery, for the same reason.

• Like 1