Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dolly scientist supports mammoth cloning

Saru

The discovery of 10,000-year-old mammoth blood has opened up the possibility of creating a clone.

The astonishingly well-preserved blood from a 10,000-year-old frozen mammoth could lead to mammoth stem cells, said Ian Wilmut, the scientist responsible for Dolly, the world’s first cloned animal - and might ultimately lead to a cloned mammoth.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I can understand to a degree the moral issues alot of people may have with trying this, but i think we have knowledge and science for a reason.

Plus i want to see a mammoth in the flesh, lol.

• Like 1

I agree. The tundra regions are one place we have room for an animal to roam as well.

Personally I think this would be an amazing feat. Humans may have been the reason for the death of the Megafauna of some 10,000 years ago; it would be a chance to begin to restore what was lost. The northern coniferous forests, tundra and grasslands are an immense area and there are wildlife refuges within. If the mammoth is healthy and a breeding population established it would be more than amazing. At first animals would likely be kept in zoos until valuable data could be taken and offspring produced. After health screening, a protected outdoor habitat adjacent to a reserve could be their home and then they could roam free. Sadly these creatures would likely have to be guarded 24/7 because of the value placed on the ivory trade, or their great tusks removed before release.

Will this be a reality? Hard to say, but the tech keeps improving so we shall see.

Next Smilodon fatalis! Meow!

I have no problem with that, Now dinosaurs would be a different issue.

Lets Hope that it does not become a parts Jurassic Parks Story.

They Should also try using bone marrow to clone prehistoric Creature,

Bone marrow should last longer than any other cells in biological creature body.

That'd be lovely provided they don't keep it in captivity and perform experiments on it for its entire life.

It's an interesting find but i don't believe they can clone a prehistoric animal.If they did,sure i will be surprised and then i will wonder about the fact that some people kill modern Elephants very much,so what is the guarantee that no one will kill the Mammoth.

It's an interesting find but i don't believe they can clone a prehistoric animal.If they did,sure i will be surprised and then i will wonder about the fact that some people kill modern Elephants very much,so what is the guarantee that no one will kill the Mammoth.

No guarantee, but I'd hate to stop doing stuff because of the few bad eggs.

Yeah; screw all the other creatures we drive to extinction every year, lets clone a mammoth..

This^^

• Like 1

Yeah; screw all the other creatures we drive to extinction every year, lets clone a mammoth..

Why would we have to "screw" all the other creatures? Couldn't we both help other creatures and revive a mammoth?

• Like 1

If I get cloned, you people are in trouble. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I don't think mammoths would be cloned in order to reintroduce them into the wild. They would be solely for scientific research. I have no problem with the cloning of a mammoth, or any other extinct creature for that matter, so long as they are not reintroduced into the wild.

With regards to other species going extinct; I think humans have less of an impact than we actually think. Yes humans are responsible for the extinction of some species of animals, but in reality the percentage is very low indeed.

"Saving endangered species is just one more arrogant attempt by humans to control nature. It's arrogant meddling. It's what got us in trouble in the first place. Doesn't anybody understand that? Interfering with nature. Over 90%, way over 90% of all the species that have ever lived on this planet, ever lived, are gone. They're extinct. We didn't kill them all. They just disappeared. That's what nature does. We're so self-important, so self-important. Everybody is going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails. And the greatest arrogance of all, save the planet."

George Carlin

anyway...

Theres really no chance of them being re-introduced anyway, so no need to worry about that. We have 1 or 2 viable samples- there wouldn't be enough genetic diversity to create a new population of them. Even if we cloned a boy mammoth and girl mammoth and they had a baby, you need lots more than that to make a new population.

I don't think mammoths would be cloned in order to reintroduce them into the wild. They would be solely for scientific research. I have no problem with the cloning of a mammoth, or any other extinct creature for that matter, so long as they are not reintroduced into the wild.

With regards to other species going extinct; I think humans have less of an impact than we actually think. Yes humans are responsible for the extinction of some species of animals, but in reality the percentage is very low indeed.

"Saving endangered species is just one more arrogant attempt by humans to control nature. It's arrogant meddling. It's what got us in trouble in the first place. Doesn't anybody understand that? Interfering with nature. Over 90%, way over 90% of all the species that have ever lived on this planet, ever lived, are gone. They're extinct. We didn't kill them all. They just disappeared. That's what nature does. We're so self-important, so self-important. Everybody is going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails. And the greatest arrogance of all, save the planet."

George Carlin

anyway...

But don't you think the Mammoth went extinct for a reason? I mean If mother nature knows best and I think she does then is it really right to bring an extinct animal back?

But don't you think the Mammoth went extinct for a reason? I mean If mother nature knows best and I think she does then is it really right to bring an extinct animal back?

I don't think "mother nature" is an entity at all. If a volcano erupts and kills the last of a species, I don't think "it was meant to be" is a good reason. If humans could have removed a few of the animals in order to save the species, I say go for it.

I don't think "mother nature" is an entity at all. If a volcano erupts and kills the last of a species, I don't think "it was meant to be" is a good reason. If humans could have removed a few of the animals in order to save the species, I say go for it.

I guess I just don't see the point of bringing it back

I'd like to see it. As far as larger animals go, a herbivore isn't a bad choice.

I'd like to see it. As far as larger animals go, a herbivore isn't a bad choice.

Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should

Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should

Valid point, but I don't see a reason not to. If enough samples could be found to breed a small population, the tundra areas could handle this animal back in the wild.

Not sure it would ever get to that.