Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

guide to the world's most libertarian countri

questionmark

As Uruguay, a country which has never criminalised cannabis for personal use, turns to legalising its cultivation and distribution, we look at other trailblazing, libertarian countries.

1. Portugal

In 2001, Portugal became the first European country to decriminalise possession of all drugs for personal use. The country introduced state-funded therapy programmes for abusers which have seen record number of people seeking help. Rates of HIV infection and drug-related deaths have also halved in the ten years since the new legislation.

2. Czech Republic

While most nods go the Netherlands’ way when considering drug possession, it is in fact the Czechs that have the most liberal laws when it comes to personal use. Citizens can legally be in possession of up to half an ounce of marijuana, 40 ‘magic mushrooms’, four tabs of LSD or Ecstasy and one gram of cocaine.

Read more

Well, looks loke the world is not ending there...

• Like 1

How dare you counter their arguments with information, data and fact! They hate it when people do that!

I would never have guessed Portugal and Czech Republic would top the list. I would have "assumed" the Netherlands...

I always wanted to visit Prague...seems like a very cool old city.

• Like 1

How dare you counter their arguments with information, data and fact! They hate it when people do that!

I would never have guessed Portugal and Czech Republic would top the list. I would have "assumed" the Netherlands...

I always wanted to visit Prague...seems like a very cool old city.

My niece is in Prague now (foreign studies) and she loves it.

• Like 1

Well, looks loke the world is not ending there...

Did you mean libertine instead of libertarian?

• Like 1

Did you mean libertine instead of libertarian?

I am not responsible for the headline, I just copied it.

This article is dumb, from I read it seems like a country is "Libertarian" if it has drugs legal...

North Korea is in no way Libertarian.

This article was made by a moron :td:

To be fair it also added Gay rights and prostitution sections. I guess that's what makes a country Libertarian...

Edited by spartan max2

It would seem rather hard to reconcile n. Korea with

Libertarianism (Latin: liber, "free")[1] is a set of related political philosophies that uphold liberty as the highest political end.[2][3] This includes emphasis on the primacy of individual liberty,[4][5]political freedom, and voluntary association. It is the antonym to authoritarianism.[6] Libertarians advocate a society with minimized government or no government at all.
  • Like 2

I took the article to be focusing on the countries that are allowing for "personal liberty and freedom" which is extremely important to most Libertarians.. I didn't interpret it to be discussing the overall function of their Governments. Nah, they aren't like us...you can bet on that! (Good or bad)