Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can God create rock too heavy for himself..

Big Bad Voodoo

Why is this a common question? I've seen it so much but know the history of it.. must be biblical.

I'd say: no

He could probably lift that rock too....

Edited by SpiritWriter

Can that which is logical do the illogical? If it did do the illogical could it still be called logical? Answer that and you have your answer here.

• Like 3

Can that which is logical do the illogical? If it did do the illogical could it still be called logical? Answer that and you have your answer here.

Religionists should answer this.

Funnily, I asked a very similar question to my religion teacher way back then in second grade and had her stumped totally. I also thought of most of the other standard atheist/religionist arguments that always come up in discussion of the type of Lane Craig vs. Sam Harris, or the other typical actors, way back then.

These go through EXACTLY the same thoughts that I had as a kid, only of course they use much more fancy names for then. So, afaic, they are still stuck in the same unanswerable conundrum, and nobody really knows anything.

And now, as then, the conclusion is that religionists intellectually just don´t have a leg to stand on.

Edited by Zaphod222

That's a ridiculous question that no amount of back and forth will ever answer. But if God is real and the Bible is too that means God created the entire Earth in six days. Rivers, oceans, mountains and gigantic rocks in the desert. I'd say he can do anything imaginable.

The Incredible Hulk can lift a mountain. So why not?

I think I answered it quite well in the discussion that Mystic Crusader linked. It's all a matter of order of operations. Once you find the correct order of operations you will realize that it is a yes.

A universal Creator and his abilities must of necessity originate outside the confines of this universe whereas a rock, regardless of size, originates within the confines of this universe. So no, he couldn't create a rock that he can't lift, IMO.

cormac

The Incredible Hulk can lift a mountain. So why not?

Did you read the question?

Try again.

Great discussion of the Omnipotence Paradox and possible answers here:

http://en.wikipedia....potence_paradox

Ha, I knew it had a name. (Like all the others that I already figured out of a kid, like what they now call the "god of the gap", the "argument from ignorance", the "morality argument" etc.)

LOL, really they are all running around and repeating the same thing over and over.

If Jesus is God, the Romans did make a cross too heavy for him to lift.

• Like 3

The OP created this thread, out of a dozen in one day. And couldn't give a rat's ass what your response is.

• Like 2

The OP created this thread, out of a dozen in one day. And couldn't give a rat's ass what your response is.

That is your malicious interpretation due other factors, like one simple, that we dont agree over threads. Please stay on topic and dont made this personal. I read every one post in this thread. Point of discussion is not that you respond on every post in it. But to hear others thoughts aswell. I will not respond on your future irrelvant posts.

Did you read the question?

Try again.

What you talking about. I gave a pretty thorough answer, uhm opinion. There are no right or wrong answers or hunches to go on.

Religionists should answer this.

Funnily, I asked a very similar question to my religion teacher way back then in second grade and had her stumped totally. I also thought of most of the other standard atheist/religionist arguments that always come up in discussion of the type of Lane Craig vs. Sam Harris, or the other typical actors, way back then.

These go through EXACTLY the same thoughts that I had as a kid, only of course they use much more fancy names for then. So, afaic, they are still stuck in the same unanswerable conundrum, and nobody really knows anything.

And now, as then, the conclusion is that religionists intellectually just don´t have a leg to stand on.

. . . Just as "God" doesn't have "arms" with which to lift any rock.

This is not a biblical topic, but derives from early medieval scholastic theology (I don't think it's Platonic or even Archimedean). It's similar to the classic Thomas Aquinas formulation, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" The answer to all such questions is either "turkey feathers" or "blastocyst." In other words, questions of this sort are at best humorous and at worst misleading--because they reinforce an anthropomorphic view of God that is long obsolete.

Yes, Christians use metaphors for the Deity (God is "light," "love," "mercy," etc.), but not to suggest that God has a physical, material body homologous to our own. When Genesis states that God created humanity in God's own image, it didn't mean we are all little manikins of a Great Bearded Grandaddy in the Sky. It expressed that humans were endowed with reason (?!), will, freedom, creativity and "spirit;" just as God is spirit (John 4:24) and not some sort of circus strongman or Olympic powerlifter testing 'his' mettle with rocks.

• Like 1

R, he started to carry it himself, then Simon of Cyrene was required to help him out. Good eye!

. . . Just as "God" doesn't have "arms" with which to lift any rock.

This is not a biblical topic, but derives from early medieval scholastic theology (I don't think it's Platonic or even Archimedean). It's similar to the classic Thomas Aquinas formulation, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" The answer to all such questions is either "turkey feathers" or "blastocyst." In other words, questions of this sort are at best humorous and at worst misleading--because they reinforce an anthropomorphic view of God that is long obsolete.

Yes, Christians use metaphors for the Deity (God is "light," "love," "mercy," etc.), but not to suggest that God has a physical, material body homologous to our own. When Genesis states that God created humanity in God's own image, it didn't mean we are all little manikins of a Great Bearded Grandaddy in the Sky. It expressed that humans were endowed with reason (?!), will, freedom, creativity and "spirit;" just as God is spirit (John 4:24) and not some sort of circus strongman or Olympic powerlifter testing 'his' mettle with rocks.

Do you really not understand this?

This has nothing to do with antropomorphic. I don´t care if your is a pink unicorn or a invisible slug from out space.

This is simply about the paradox of omnipotence.

Do you really not understand this?

This has nothing to do with antropomorphic. I don´t care if your is a pink unicorn or a invisible slug from out space.

This is simply about the paradox of omnipotence.

Of course I understand that this is a classic thought experiment ("medieval scholastic theology," as you might have read above, post #17, para. 2). Do you not understand that millions of people still anthropomorphize God?

It's an interesting but fruitless line of inquiry, in my opinion, because the paradox of omnipotence leads to/connects with the paradox of omnipresence which leads leads to/connects with the paradox of omniscience which leads to/connects with the paradox of omnibeneficence and so forth, all conundrums with multiple interpretations and limited application in the world of the poor, jobless, abused, addicted, hungry, war-ravaged, so on and so forth.

By the way, what's a "religionist" and why should "they" answer "this?" Your statement implies you are not a "religionist" yet you apparently are taking the OP seriously--at least seriously enough to make sure the classroom sits up straight, pays attention and knows what the post is about, even though you've already reached your conclusion.

Edited by szentgyorgy
  • Like 1

DAMN! :w00t:

Question should be: Can god create heavy metal too metal for himself to listen to?

• Like 2

Can God create rock too heavy for even him to lift?

Is God capable of being incapable? What happens when an irresistible force meets an immoveable object? To answer your question defies logic, as this is an ancient riddle, that so far still has no solution, but I will do my best in failure. I guess it's honestly a matter of opinion, or should I say, do you believe in the unbelievable?

As a non believer in God, I'm still going to have to say yes he, she, or it, or whatever one defines as God, can achieve this. I'll use the quantum physics and the parallel worlds theory to back up my claims. As God creates this immovable stone, instantaneously God creates a parallel world, because the two objects cannot exist at one time in the same universe, but can exist outside of ach other. Understand? Otherwise they would cancel each other out like two negatives make a positive, because they cancel each other out.

So in one universe God can lift the stone, and in the other universe he cannot lift the stone. They have to exist outside of each other. In a sense by creating the immovable stone, God's really not creating an immovable stone. Metaphorically speaking God is actually creating himself. See Alternate realities. Because two omnipotent beings cannot co-exist without destroying each other. See big-bang - big crunch. One big bang happens, but 2 big bangs cannot happen at once thus they would result in an immediate big crunch, they would unfold and implode on each other.

For example there can be an infinite amount of versions of you and an infinite amount of outcomes, because of the quantum physics of parallel worlds, but there cannot be an infinite amount of versions of you with different outcomes in one universe because upon seeing yourself you would change the past and thus create an alternate reality or history. Seek Grandfather paradox.

That's why the majority of scientist now widely accept the multiverse theory. Seek Schrodingers Cat.

Ultimately to sum it up, this isn't a question of can God do this, or can God do that. "Can God defy logic, or can God do the impossible".

The actual question, is can God perform "miracles" or not, which is simply a matter of ones "faith" in God. It's a personal belief, there are no right or wrong answers, but only to oneself.

The riddler was a wise sage, the wisest of all throughout the lands. He solved all the mysteries of the universe, for he was the one who wrote them. He has outlived, and outwitted all intelligent life throughout all galaxies. Tired, bored, and lonely one day the riddler decides the create one last riddle, one that he cannot solve himself. He quickly jots his riddle down on a stone, and realizes that he is foolish, he burst out in anger and realizes it is blasphemy, for he already knows the answer to the riddle. In frustration the riddler tosses the stone outside his window, into a nearby lake, and runs outside his humble abode flailing his arms, screaming at the sky. Upon being so careless the riddler, accidently trips and falls over a tree root, where he slips into a coma for 1,000 years. Upon awaking the riddler finds himself to be in an unknown land, for everything has changed. Wandering around for weeks upon weeks he comes across cave, he decides to take refuge there for the night. As he makes his way into the cave after lighting a torch and setting up camp for the night, he comes across a stone with a riddle written on it. It reads "The stars, the stars they shine so bright in the sparkling waters of the night, the stars they shine, they shine so bright, look to the lake and know thyself. The riddler was never able to find the lake, he was never able to find himself. He simply forgot, yet inspired by the stone, he began to write new riddles for ages to come. Gods in Amnesia

Hope this helps. So do you believe in miracles?

Can God create rock too heavy for even him to lift?

This is an illogical question. You may as well ask - Can god draw a squared circle?

To play devils advocate..... ( Well I did used to be Christian, and I am also bored, I ran out of lives on Candy crush lol )

Were in the bible does it say god is omnipotent? ... When people refer to God as the almighty, that doesn't mean god can do everything.. In fact, the bible itself does not claim god can do everything...

The bible also notes a few things that god cannot do - Like - Lie Or deny himself...The true nature of god?... Maybe, along with the nature of reality, he did create it ...yes? ... So, god cannot do the impossible, like a two sided triangle, square circle, or create a rock that would be too heavy for him to lift...

The rock if created to be too heavy for god to lift, therefore it would need to be an infinitely large rock in order to defeat an infinite amount of lifting power, and that wouldn't work,, you cannot have two infinities.... But, you should also know that infinite rocks cannot exist, as material objects cannot be infinite...This is why I think the question you post, is not exactly what I would call logical....

Edited by Beckys_Mom