Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Effect that actually does stop the world

Big Bad Voodoo

The Quantum Zeno Effect actually does stop the world

Zeno of Elea was a Greek philosopher who suggested that if you could slice time into small enough increments, the world would freeze in place. It turns out that he was right — at least, from a quantum mechanics perspective.

http://io9.com/the-quantum-zeno-effect-actually-does-stop-the-world-977909459

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StarMountainKid

• Big Bad Voodoo

• Frank Merton

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sort of like a game of hide and seek. The more often you look for the hider, the more likely he will be in the same place.

The idea that space-time is quantized has long to me been the only way I can conceive of motion being possible. This is of course an incredibly old idea. The thing is, the quantization can be as seen from our perspective and not -- this is hard to express in English -- something that persists. Objects "smaller" could well exist in their own quantization -- smaller than the Plank space/time units that we are probably quantized in.

If it is likely the decay of an atom can be delayed by its superposition re-setting itself every time it is measured, we are controlling time, or its correlation, movement in space, for the atom's decay is measured in seconds, or in time.

I've always argued for the time dimension to exist, and for it to be quantized. But then here comes the Arrow Paradox. I think the solution to this problem is that the flow of time that our consciousness experiences is a property of consciousness itself, or a property of the brain.

However, the arrow does not move in its quantized moment or frame of time. Each quanta of time is a static frame of space-time. For the universe to exist and evolve over from the BB, and for entropy to operate, all space and time must already exist.

In other words, the "present" is a creation of the mind. What really exists is the whole of space and time.

Here I am on the edge of derailing the thread, and I don't want to do this, but it seems to me if we can delay an atom's decay by measurement in the framework of time, this would be some evidence that time as quanta has some validity, as the interval of measurement has an effect on the superposition of the atom.

Am I skating on thin ice here?