Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cell UFO

Ad hoc

Since I tend to decry ufologists, thought I'd post my own UFO experience.

background:

I think this was the summer of 2003. I was sharing a really crappy house in Tottenham, North London, and for various reasons, (didn't have a computer, tv wasn't working too well, awful house that got freezing cold in the winter and stiflingly hot in the summer -and this was one of the hottest summers on record) I decided to start sitting outside in the back garden in the evenings.

I had a bunch of spiritual and new-age beliefs at the time that I've now changed, and I figured I'd go otuside and chill, watch the stars, get into a contemplative state, and maybe if I was lucky might even see a ufo.

(I had the idea at the time that what people think of as UFO's might be trans dimensional beings that require your brain to be functioning in a certain way in order to be interacted with, so I was interested to see if I could tap into that at all).

I can't remember how many nights I sat outside, I have a feeling it was maybe three weeks, maybe less. I don't think it was every single day, but many days.

I should note my vision wasn't quite 20/20- but not far off.

I looked at stars, looking for different colours, but finding that they are extremely subtle and mostly look pretty colourless to me. Planes following flight patterns above, and annoying helicopters further down. I gradually became bored.

event:

(Embarrassingly, I can't remember all details of the object totally clearly, but I'll recount what I can).

One day, when my boredom had just about won, as I looked up, I saw this thing.

It passed above from my right to my left on a steady path.

The closest thing I can think of as a description is a cell.

From my viewpoint, it was round- might have been slightly ovoid. It was transparent. It appeared to have an outer ring/shell, and an inner nucleus. It also had smaller convolutions within that gave a granular quality to its insides- but they were subtle, and at the limit of my vision, so I've no specific observations on those.

It was lit with very low-key light that had no obvious source. The body of this jellyfish is pretty much bang on (Minus that opaque nucleus) in terms of how it was lit.

Is-This-Jellyfish-Creature-the-Answer-to-Global-Warming-2.jpg

Despite the fact I'm describing it as a cell, it didn't look quite biological, because its lines seemed artificially accurate. Cells and similar biological things are almost always a little bit misshapen.

That said, three or four seconds after seeing it, my first thought was to check it wasn't a floater (dead cellular creature on the eye), -even though it looked nothing like a floater- so I moved my eye around (the floater moves with the eye), but it was clear it wasn't on my eye. The thing didn't deviate from its steady course across the sky.

There was no sound, and it passed steadily on a trajectory from my right to left- which looking at google maps now, was pretty close to directly north to south (and heading towards or just to the east of central London).

I estimate it was about 10-20 seconds between the time that I first spotted it a little to the right but close to overhead, to the time it disappeared out of view to my left ( I can't remember if it disappeared behind the building, which was on my left, or I lost it against some aspect of the backdrop- it was an easy form to lose.

And that's it.

Edit: Here's a drawing:

ufoCopy1_zpsb404310f.jpg

And a nice spangling of stars for ye to better set the scene:

ufoCopy_zps36adc84c.jpg

I know there was more detail to the thing than this, but I just can't remember it, sorry :no:

I have a vague feeling there may have been more concentric activity of some kind. bah

Should totally have written all this down years ago.

Conclusions

Wish I knew what it was!

psychological/brain effect, aliens, government craft, optical illusion, other lifeforms, strange natural phenomena, or odd brain interaction with any of the above. Couldn't even say that what I perceived was necessarily representative of what was actually there, considering the abstract nature of its form.

reading a post by Scowl on another thread, (Flying geese at night blurred into boomerang UFO) I even wondered if a flock of birds ever fly in concentric rings with a few stragglers in the middle to make up the 'convolutions'. Can't find any reference to that, though.

Dunno. Interesting though :]

Edited by Ad hoc

Awesome post...Thanks for sharing.

cheers!

Might be of use to somebody sometime. :)

Interesting story! This is odd but I'll add something that may be useful, a couple years ago my younger brother (He's 28) told me that while on a fly fishing trip, at night, looking at the stars he saw something that looked like if something like a giant magnifying glass was flying through the sky because he could see that stars were getting a little bit bigger when this thing passed from one side to the other, he couldn't see the total shape, lights or anything, just something that was there and made this effect.

So my question is, was totally traslucid or you could see a change on the background while this thing flew through the sky?

• Like 1

Interesting story! This is odd but I'll add something that may be useful, a couple years ago my younger brother (He's 28) told me that while on a fly fishing trip, at night, looking at the stars he saw something that looked like if something like a giant magnifying glass was flying through the sky because he could see that stars were getting a little bit bigger when this thing passed from one side to the other, he couldn't see the total shape, lights or anything, just something that was there and made this effect.

So my question is, was totally traslucid or you could see a change on the background while this thing flew through the sky?

Oh that's pretty awesome.

I could see through it, but any magnification effect wasn't pronounced enough to be seen. If there was a subtle one I probably wouldn't have noticed, especially not with it having its own lighting in the way.

You've reminded me of something, though. something that came to mind while pondering later was how similar its light was to the starlight behind it. Both in the brightness and the extreme subtlety of colour tints. Just like the stars, it seemed to me that it had slightly different tints going on, but they were so subtle I could barely make out what they were.

So, random thought: bent starlight.

But with that in mind... I can't remember if the moon was out that night... if it was, it may have been bright enough to catch some kind of transparent balloon :P although I didn't see any string or puckered bit.

Oh, mind you I'm pretty sure the wind was completely dead on those evenings (as it usually is in London when it gets really hot X_X ) and the thing didn't rise, wobble, or drift. straight line, same height, unvarying speed.

No idea what the speed was because I didn't know the size, but in terms of speed to size ratio, I'd say it was equivalent to a helicopter or light plane.

Edited by Ad hoc

How about a wild guess of a rocket trail? Use Google Image search on 'spiral rocket trail' and take a look - that's what I immediately thought of when I saw your drawing. It could have been from a commercial rocket or even an illegal firework or hobby rocket. Also, smokestacks sometimes throw out huge smoke rings...

The fact that it was early (?) evening would suggest it might have been something at high altitude - high enough to catch the rays of the Sun going way overhead

It might be worth checking if there were any European satellite launches at that time (although it could have come from pretty much anywhere)..

Hmm. It's possible, although the issues would be this:

It would have had to be, and remain, a remarkably perfect smoke ring. And it didn't warp at all throughout its entire course- the smaller bits I could just make out didn't change either. It appeared to be rigid.

-Although I could imagine something maintaining its shape to some degree in a really even wind up high.

With this in mind it almost makes more sense as something that started off as a spiral, like the Norway thing- and coalesced into a couple of concentric rings... because that starts off as a really perfect form. Still, it'd be hard to imagine it flying along at that fair pace without getting even slightly wobbly.

It was late evening/night - completely dark. The glow didn't look like sunlight anyway, was gentle and on the cold side.

I wish I knew what day it was so I could check about rockets!!

Although in terms of the mundane I may be leaning more towards some kind of novelty balloon or circular... packaging or something.

Oh well,

if there's one conclusion I've come to from posting this it's that it's quite irritating to not have enough info to do anything other than randomly speculate!

I'm quite tempted to do another stint of skywatching now, this time with a camera, and ready to take notes. :P

Shame the evening/night weather sucks atm -.-

Good points, and I'll concede that I'm outa guesses, except... bear in mind that there are a lot of new LED remote controlled craft on the market - not just commercial models, but also amateur home-made things, and some of them use rather astonishing lighting effects - not just the usual bright points from led, but all sorts of soft veil-like effects, varying colours and shapes... LED's have opened a whole new world for people wanting to put pretty things up into the sky.. I live near an RC club, and one of these days (er.. nights) I'll try to capture some of the stuff they get up to - it can be pretty freaky..

• Like 1

Good points, and I'll concede that I'm outa guesses, except... bear in mind that there are a lot of new LED remote controlled craft on the market - not just commercial models, but also amateur home-made things, and some of them use rather astonishing lighting effects - not just the usual bright points from led, but all sorts of soft veil-like effects, varying colours and shapes... LED's have opened a whole new world for people wanting to put pretty things up into the sky.. I live near an RC club, and one of these days (er.. nights) I'll try to capture some of the stuff they get up to - it can be pretty freaky..

I am looking forward to see some videos about that.

LED's have opened a whole new world for people wanting to put pretty things up into the sky..

I am looking forward to see some videos about that.

Haha yeah, me too

While you're waiting for me, here's an example from YT:

[media=]

[/media]

- I've seen much better lighting effects and aerobatics but you'll get the idea.. Note that the latest trend is to use helium-filled blimps/balloons so you can use much smaller and quieter engines, and/or computer gyro-controlled systems that are much smoother and steadier in the air.

I might have to join the RC club, because they don't advertise their night sessions, sadly...