Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepy story from the Hebridies Islands

rose quatz

So back in 2008 I decided that I would experience something really different and go and live up on North Uist which is an Island in the Hebridies of Scotland. I ended up doing a house share with these really nice youngsters that had grown up on the Islands.

One afternoon when walking back from the post office we passed a young man with a big rucksack on his back looking rather tired and bewildered. We asked him if he was ok, and he said he was looking for somewhere to stay for the night. So I offered him our sofa and a hot shower, as he looked like he hadnt seen one in a while.

That evening we asked him why he was roaming around the Islands on his own, he said that he was bored of life in Glasgo and wanted to have an adventure so had been sleeping rough for the past month in various places around the Islands, he told us he had been sleeping in the abandoned houses.. (up on the Islands there are lots of abandoned houses, I guess people just leave and dont ever go back, lots of them dont have roofs anymore)

He goes on to tell us that he was still getting over what had happened to him a couple nights back whilst staying on Harris. And that he literally had never been more scared in his life. He had decided to stay in what looked like an abandoned Inn for the night as it was quickly getting dark and there was bad weather coming in. He said that he was awoken in the night to crying coming from upstairs and what sounded like children talking, he said that his initial reaction was to run outside but after he calmed down just rationalized what had happened and went back in to his stuff and tryed to go to sleep again. He said that not but miniutes later it started again and he felt something grab his feet and try to yank him along the floor. He said he was now crying at this point and trying his hardest to get his sleeping bag over his head and pray it wasnt real. He thinks he saw someone stood at the window outside and had shouted out 'who are you, leave me alone', and had gone outside with his torch and tryed to find the person he thought he had seen but couldnt find anyone. He said in the end he must of passed out from tiredness, because he cant remember goin to sleep, in the morning when he had woken up his stuff was spread out across the room.

Even if he was just complete story teller and it wasnt true, he was a good acter, he was literally shaking as he told us and looked like he was going to be sick. My housemates reckoned that you should never stay up in the houses for that reason and that they had heard of ghost stories about them.

I wonder if anyone on here has any stories or expeiences of the haunted houses up on the Hebridies?

• Like 3

Different animals can and do sound like children crying and talking. Anything from feral cats to owls to foxes can all sound like that and some do take up residence in abandoned houses.

Or it could be haunted. I had never even heard of those islands, but you should take some pictures and post them Rose. This is a good little story.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Different animals can and do sound like children crying and talking. Anything from feral cats to owls to foxes can all sound like that and some do take up residence in abandoned houses.

Hmm im not sure you have heard of these islands

• Like 1

darkmoonlady's response is rather generic, but after doing a bit of research, otters are on the Hebrides and the ones there are pretty nocturnal, so it's entirely feasible that what he heard was an otter making noise of some sort.

Hebrides Wildlife

Hebrides Otters

• 2 weeks later...

But what about the other stuff? The yanking on his feet, his stuff spread all over the floor when he woke up? Maybe he was a good actor, but what he related would have been enough to scare me back to Glasgow. :unsure2:

• Like 2

Have you ever watched someone while sleeping? Many times they will jerk or otherwise move while dreaming.

As for the stuff, was it precisely laid out as if someone had picked each item up and purposely laid it elsewhere, or was it strewn about like it had been knocked over randomly?

But what about the other stuff? The yanking on his feet, his stuff spread all over the floor when he woke up? Maybe he was a good actor, but what he related would have been enough to scare me back to Glasgow. :unsure2:

He was thrown out of Glasgow for telling tales. lol

(only kiddin')

• Like 1