Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Spooked baboons baffle Dutch zoo

Still Waters

Staff at a zoo in the Netherlands say they are baffled by their baboons, who have spent days sitting still, huddled together in fear and hardly eating.

The behaviour started on Monday evening, and only now are the 112 baboons becoming their normal, active selves again, said a biologist at Emmen Zoo.

The zoo still has no idea what spooked the hamadryas baboons, but it is a good sign that some are now eating apples, biologist Wijbren Landman said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23546146

• Like 2

Curious. And apparently they have no cameras to check for a clue. I wonder if a certain sound or frequency (electronic) used by a human visitor to the zoo could have spooked them? But so infrequently, idk?

• Like 1

Emmen's quite a quiet place (and the zoo's fantastic!!), so i think maybe QC could be onto something and possibly it was some sort of subsonic frequency? but if that was the case, then why didn't the elephants react to it, as elephants can hear very low frequency sound (and there's a LOT of elephants at emmen zoo!)?

babboons aren't usually noted for being skittish, as anyone who's had their car dismantled by a mob of 'em at a safari park can testify, so it's weird how over 100 of 'em can get freaked all together!

anyone know mulder & scully's phone number.....?

Edited by Saru
Removed drug reference

They felt there was gonna be an earthquake on a tsunami or a meteor strike and prepared for death, then ET came and saved us and left unnoticed and unacknowledged. The only logical explanation I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Hash can make you paranoid at times.

that's why i wondered if it was in Artis zoo in 'dam El, and that they'd just picked up some good spacecake!

(in Artis zoo they have hundreds of meerkats running around all over the place, no cages no nuthin', and THAT's good for a giggle when you've just picked up some good spacecake.....)

;-)

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

that's why i wondered if it was in Artis zoo in 'dam El, and that they'd just picked up some good spacecake!

(in Artis zoo they have hundreds of meerkats running around all over the place, no cages no nuthin', and THAT's good for a giggle when you've just picked up some good spacecake.....)

;-)

I prefer to imagine them all sitting smoking joints and listening to Pink Floyd. lol

• Like 1

I prefer to imagine them all sitting smoking joints and listening to Pink Floyd. lol

kinda like Fat Freddy's meerkat then....?

:-D

• Like 1

How do they know that they are scared? Could it not be that they are sick from something that the zoo fed them or from maybe being imprisoned for their entire existence?

Hash can make you paranoid at times.

Maybe it was something they ate or drank since they probably don't have any way to smoke stuff

Maybe it`s a problem with their nuts, that would put me off my food too :)

Was it the massive solar flare? Maybe their Pink Floyd player broke!

The government issues their imminent Al Qaeda attack warning based off of Baboon behavior. Americans are on a world wide travel warning based off of baboon behavior.

Sort of like a prison show. The guards walk into the cells and by the looks on everyone's faces something has happened. But no one will say a word.

• Like 1

Was there a kid named Damian that visited the park on that day?

• Like 2

Mob mentality, it just takes one little guy, the alpha, to freak and the rest will follow. Confucius say, "Monkey see, monkey do".

The alpha probably fell off of his branch, felt embarrassed and covered it up by pretending to have been zapped by hostile ETs, Satan, Bigfoot, Swamp thing, demons, banshees and succubi (aka "The Axis of Evil") all at the same time.

If they were human, they'd be in line at the gun shop.

• Like 2

Monkeys living in a Dutch zoo have been behaving strangely over the last week, sitting listlessly with their backs turned to visitors and even refusing food. Something may have spooked them, with theories including a scary T-shirt, a runaway snake or a UFO.

Zookeepers in the Netherlands are scratching their heads at the strange behavior of an entire colony of 112 usually boisterous baboons which have sunken into a collective depression, sitting motionless, not fighting or grooming each other and not even eating apples, their favorite food.

Traumatized and apathetic, they've also had their backs turned to zoo visitors, as if they're on strike.

Read more

What is the first thing animals react to? Scent!

Could it be that the zoo brought in a new animal that the Baboons caught wind of? If the zoo brought in a predatory animal, it could definitely send fear thru the clan, especially if the new animal was brought near enough so as to offer a strong scent. Many of them were raised in the zoo, but genetics and instinctual behaviour could play a role here.

• Like 1

Monkey see, monkey do?