Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Men Oppress Women

Lilly

Humania? Hmmm... I kind of agree...I just use a different term...CaveManSyndrome. You can take the man out of the cave...but you can't take the cave out of the man.

It really all goes back to the dawn of our species...lots of dangers...and who was it that killed the beast, and then drug it home? The Man. And it has not changed much since the beginning. Today, men go to work, bring home the money and as such feel empowered by that.

And in places like Iran, if a woman is raped, she may also be stoned to death...because if she was raped it was her own fault for being slutty, otherwise she would not have been raped.

We need to evolve more...I just don't see any way that will happen...especially in times of conflict or hardships, we revert back to the CaveManSyndrome...the big strong man takes control and the women become subservient.

But, and...on a different note...not all is lost because look what you women have...dishwashers, washing machines, appliances of every description to make your pathetic lives a bit easier...and who invented them all? A man. And where does that take us? Right back to Humania where men rule and women are just baby machines who clean up after us. What ever happened to throwing your cape over a puddle so a woman didn't have to get her feet wet?

• Like 2

Like the article stated, many cultures in the Americas revered their women without oppressing them.

I think there is a natural instinct in most men that drives them to protect their offsprings, which makes them naturally more physical and aggressive and in need to control.

However that has changed, in the West most men treat women as equal and we have seen a rise in women being the ones that go out to work to feed and protect the family.

I have noticed that the more religious a country, the more oppressed its women are. I believe that many religions were created to oppress the masses and women are as guilty as men for following directions from a god that treat them as second class citizens.

Men and women are different, but equal, and we can see that in Western cultures.

Great thread! :yes:

• Like 4

I have noticed that the more religious a country, the more oppressed its women are. I believe that many religions were created to oppress the masses and women are as guilty as men for following directions from a god that treat them as second class citizens.

Can we finally do without these stupid generalizations about "religion" in general?

Some religions DO declare women as inferior.

Other religions DO NOT.

So to make statements about being "religious" as if that were one fixed position is simply stupid.

Edited by Zaphod222
  • Like 2

Can we finally do without these stupid generalizations about "religion" in general?

Other religions DO NOT.

So to make statements about being "religious" as if that were one fixed position is simply stupid.

Zaphod, re-read my post: I said MANY religions, I never said ALL cause some religions are not, I know that.

Other religions DO NOT.

I think the genralization about 'religion' is quite correct...because generalizations most 'generally' describe the main-streamness of that which is being discussed. Main stream religions do descriminate to a large degree when it comes to women. Name some that don't.

• Like 2

Main stream religions do descriminate to a large degree when it comes to women. Name some that don't.

Define "main stream". That is another one of these weasel terms that lets you pick and choose.

Anyway, to answer your questions, Bahaism does NOT discriminate against women. Buddhism does not in principle. And neither does the form of modern, enlightened Christianity that most Western countries have.

Islam of course, is right on the other extreme.... think Christianity around the time of Torquemada, and then some.

To lump all that together in broad roundhouse statement about "religions", is, well, stupid.

Edited by Zaphod222
  • Like 2

Zaphod, I don't know much about Bahanism to comment but I am a former Catholic and the only reason christian women are not oppressed is because they don't really follow the Old testament much, cause if they did they would be as oppressed as the other two sister religions: Judaism and Islam.

Paganism does not oppress women.

But the reason why women are not oppressed in the west is not because of their religions, it's because Western countries are secular.

Edited by Aggie
  • Like 1

I think it is men who are downtrodden. :yes:

Jacob cooked stew, Abraham served guests, and priest are told - more than once - to wash their clothes. The scriptures contain many references to men engaged in household tasks.

1. "[Abraham] said: 'Let me get you something to eat'... He then brought some curds and milk...and set these before them.")(Genesis 18:5)

2. "[Lot] prepared a feast for them... and baked unleavened bread" (Genesis: 19:3)

3. "[Laban] said 'I have prepared the house'." (Genesis: 24-31)

4. "Jacob was cooking some stew" (Genesis 25 – 29)

5. "A man...shall wash his clothes" (Leviticus: 13, 2: 6, 34)

6. "The priest shall then wash his clothes" (Numbers: 19:7)

7. "A man kindles a fire…and bakes bread. He prepares his meal, he roasts his meat and eats" (Isaiah 44: 15 – 16)

8. "Pharisees...you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish" (Matt 23:25)

9. "The disciples…prepared the Passover" ( Matt 26:19)

10. "Jesus poured water in the basin and began to wash the disciple's feet and to wipe them with the towel with which he was girded" (John 13:5)

11. "The twelve" in the Jerusalem Church had the responsibility to serve tables (Acts 6: 1-2)

12. "The Philippian jailer took [Paul and Silas] and washed their wounds...and he brought them into his house and set food before them." (Acts 16: 27, 33, 34)

But, and...on a different note...not all is lost because look what you women have...dishwashers, washing machines, appliances of every description to make your pathetic lives a bit easier...and who invented them all? A man.

The dishwasher was invented by a woman. Windshield wipers for cars and Kevlar body armour (to make men's pathetic lives easier) were also invented by women.

• Like 9

Zaphod, I don't know much about Bahanism to comment but I am a former Catholic and the only reason christian women are not oppressed is because they don't really follow the Old testament much,

That is the point. Modern Christianity does not take the Old Testament literally. Otherwise, it would be pretty much indistinguishable from islam.

That is why I specifically said "modern Christianity", and not "medieval Christianity".

Here is a hint for you: Read up on the age of enlightenment.

• Like 1

Not worldwide.....the ancient Irish revered their women....they loved them!

Look into the ancient celts....Boudica (welsh) was a fine queen and her people loved and respected her. She gave the Romans a run for their money but was eventually defeated and she committed suicide.....sad times. She was a firestorm in her day.

Men are trying to find their place in a brave new world. We all have strengths and weaknesses....

For years, I was the bread winner and the wife stayed home and took care of our children...it was a choice...a decision we made. Sure, we could have had more money but we chose a different path. Now that ourt children are grown and my youngest is in her third year of college..I am self employed and work from home and my wife is free to pursue her career dreams. Over the years, we moved all over the place for my career....now it is her turn. She is free to be as big or small as she chooses. I am only here to provide support.

• Like 2

I think the history of the few women who have been actual rulers in this world is not bad -- Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher, Elizabeth I, Katherine the Great, Hatshepsut, Golda Meir immediately come to mind. In fact, "not bad" is an understatement -- they were all quite good. Seems to me this is an experiment we should try a lot more often.

• Like 3

I think men and women are all the same, but different.

Yes...I would like your report with specific details on that, Frank. I want it to be clear and precise, I want you to be frank, Frank.

BTW, this will count as a UM grade for the year.

• Like 1

Oh dear. If it is okay I will leave the physical side out of it, except to say that men have to remember that women have a period and for some women this is a difficult time.

There are plenty of exceptions to what I say below, so please do not criticize on the basis that you know of exceptions.

Women in general are more patient, but once angry stay that way longer. This is perhaps because men release their anger more physically, women verbally.

A man is far more likely to commit crimes and other acts calling for immediate gratification, although this applies to a minority of men.

Women can't play chess worth a damn. This one puzzles me and I don't think culture is the reason. This applies to both western chess and Chinese chess and to several other similar games.

In Vietnam, for some reason I can't figure, far fewer women want to become monks than men. Of course only recently has this become reasonably possible, not because there is anything in Buddhism against female monks (I avoid the word "nun" because to me that is something that would be foreign to Buddhism), but because there has been so little if any demand.

That should be enough to get me in serious trouble.

• Like 3

Oh dear. If it is okay I will leave the physical side out of it, except to say that men have to remember that women have a period and for some women this is a difficult time.

There are plenty of exceptions to what I say below, so please do not criticize on the basis that you know of exceptions.

Women in general are more patient, but once angry stay that way longer. This is perhaps because men release their anger more physically, women verbally.

A man is far more likely to commit crimes and other acts calling for immediate gratification, although this applies to a minority of men.

Women can't play chess worth a damn. This one puzzles me and I don't think culture is the reason. This applies to both western chess and Chinese chess and to several other similar games.

In Vietnam, for some reason I can't figure, far fewer women want to become monks than men. Of course only recently has this become reasonably possible, not because there is anything in Buddhism against female monks (I avoid the word "nun" because to me that is something that would be foreign to Buddhism), but because there has been so little if any demand.

Hmmmm....

Okay, I'll give you an A...but you could've got an A+ if you included the physical attributes as well.

Regardless, nice report. *pats Frank on back*

• Like 1

Frank Merton, you are one brave guy!!

Your post was so honest...it's actually sweet...you can't get in trouble cause of it!

:clap:

For me the question isn't that I "can't play chess worth a damn" but rather why I would even *want* to play chess at all. Games like that are so personally boring (to me) that just staying awake is an accomplishment.

• Like 3

i realize you said that you don't care about exceptions... but the fact is that there are plenty of female chess players, and chess has been a popular game for women for centuries.

the statement is just flat out false.

• Like 1

I feel like most of franks list is because of nurture not nature.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

In Paganism women are equal to men and are honored. But Paganism isn't main steam. I think that is what attracts women to it. There are many more women than men in it. Curious why women in this day and age tolerate such treatment. No man would let a women keep him in the house and not let leave unless he is wearing tent. When how think how Afghanistan is really armed even more than we are in the states what keeps the women form deciding they don't care and just take out some of the those jokers. Some women will stay with some guy to treat them like garbage and put up with it on to their own death, why?

Frank is that women can't play chess or is it more cultural and are not encouraged to learn? Women's brain are different but I thought of it more as an counter balance. There are things men don't seem to do as well as women.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 1

I remember in high school we were all taught chess and go and a number of other such games, and the boys inevitably did much better than the girls -- enough that the girls quickly lost interest (no one maintains interest in something they regularly lose at).

So I take it as evidence of a difference in the way men and women think; men are more conquest oriented, to be blunt, and will apply the mental concentration needed, while women become bored with it and their minds wander.

I remember in high school we were all taught chess and go and a number of other such games, and the boys inevitably did much better than the girls -- enough that the girls quickly lost interest (no one maintains interest in something they regularly lose at).

So it's the "losing" that made the girls lose interest, are you sure of that? Or...just perhaps (like myself) they simply saw no point in becoming involved in a board game over which the boys became uber upset and conquest driven?

Edited by Lilly
grammar error
  • Like 2

We lose interest in things we are not good at; or maybe the obverse is the case and we never become good at things we have little interest in. Your description of the boys is the point.