Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery dark line shooting from a cloud

Still Waters

Mike Weight was strolling the beach at Honeymoon Island about noon Wednesday when he saw something weird.

A black line appeared against the bright blue sky, shooting down from a cloud into the gulf.

"At first I thought it was an optical illusion because it was like a dark piece of sky with a light sky background," Weight said. "You could see through it."

http://www.tampabay....t-is-it/2134503

• Like 1

It seems almost perfectly straight but it does seem to fade a little as it gets closer to the water. Interesting...

Could have been a fault in the lense of the camera

He saw it first and then took the pictures......so he would have been lying under your scenario....

• Like 2

Yes.

I assume first in everything involving the supernatural that people are lying

Supernatural?

Thats right, supernatural....because I'm the idiot who didn't read the article.

Gotcha...

you know it.

I'd still argue a fault in the camera, and the guy being old seeing things

you know it.

I'd still argue a fault in the camera, and the guy being old seeing things

So the guy was seeing things?.......and the camera picked up what he saw?

Either he truly saw the dark line and captured it with his camera or he was seeing things that weren't there that were then captured by the camera.........hmmmm.......explain that one.

That's weird...

I reason that it's a genuine WTF mystery..

That kind of shadowing should not occur like that. Shadow's in diffuse light in those kind of conditions should not be visible at all, unless there is a lot of air pollution (aerosols) causing a dark shadow like that to be visible.. Either way... hmmmmmmmmmm, cool post... I wonder what's hiding behind that cloud? or, projecting up from the ocean?

• Like 1

not that I am saying what it is but I have seen that effect before. Long ago I used a 35MM pentax K1000, once I had a hair stuck to the lens and it caused an entire roll of film and part of a second to be bad with a shadow line like that. being as I have never had a cell phone or a camera phone I have no idea if that could happen to one but it is one possible idea.

All stupid aside, the meterologist gave a reasoned answer as to what it could be, so I'm inclined to go with him on this

That is rather odd.

All stupid aside, the meterologist gave a reasoned answer as to what it could be, so I'm inclined to go with him on this

Perhaps. But even he admits his "answer" is speculation.

I, for one, have never seen a contrail leave a shadow in blue sky, but I guess that's the best we have to go on for now.

What I find strange, besides that, is the straight line. Sunlight produced shadows diffuse very rapidly. IDK.

Yeah the straight line is weird, so few things that naturally happen take a straight line like that.

• Like 1

not that I am saying what it is but I have seen that effect before. Long ago I used a 35MM pentax K1000, once I had a hair stuck to the lens and it caused an entire roll of film and part of a second to be bad with a shadow line like that. being as I have never had a cell phone or a camera phone I have no idea if that could happen to one but it is one possible idea.

I remember the Pentax K1000. The problem with the hair idea is that the hair is usually between the lens and the body. This can't happen with a camera phone.

Also, hair is never generally straight while sitting on a lens......there would be some curl in it.

You would also still have to call the man a liar because he said he saw it and then photographed it. If it was strictly in camera, he wouldn't have seen the line in the sky.

I don't really have an answer for this one.

Where's that UM member that sits on a doghouse?

• Like 1

I have a few observations, none of which may be relavant...

First, I used to live in Florida(for 18 years) and the Florida winds tend to break-up contrals rather fast, making them somewhat curvey and dispersed.

The dark line does not seem to be over the cloud, with respect that the line does not continue over the front view of the cloud.

There is a dark "spot", I've observed, in the lower portion of the cloud that is in the exact direct path of the line. Whether that "spot" is the shadow origin I can not tell, but seems to be of similar diameter.

The cloud is a low cloud, so a "straight line", I suppose could be possible, if indeed originating from that "dark spot" seen on the pic.

Again, I could be wrong about everything.

01_Blackline080313-1_11244306_8col.jpg

Edited by pallidin

That is very interesting. My best guess would be that it is a shadow, but that it is being seen moving through a coastal mist. I'd guess there is something behind the cloud. Maybe a hot air balloon, a plane or even an ultralight. The Sun is casting a shadow off the object which is passing through a very homgenous mist under the cloud.

• Like 1

That is very interesting. My best guess would be that it is a shadow, but that it is being seen moving through a coastal mist. I'd guess there is something behind the cloud. Maybe a hot air balloon, a plane or even an ultralight. The Sun is casting a shadow off the object which is passing through a very homgenous mist under the cloud.

True, if this were a film versus a static pic, we could determine if there is shadow movement.

Maybe a meteor burnt up and its the smoke left or something.

I thought water spout when I first saw the picture.

Is there an island out there? It could be smoke from a small fire. The winds were right for the smoke to go straight up. Maybe.