Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dear America, You Have Been Sold Out...

Kowalski

Lawmakers Who Upheld NSA Phone Spying Received Double the Defense Industry Cash

The numbers tell the story — in votes and dollars. On Wednesday, the House voted 217 to 205 not to rein in the NSA’s phone-spying dragnet. It turns out that those 217 “no” voters received twice as much campaign financing from the defense and intelligence industry as the 205 “yes” voters.

That’s the upshot of a new analysis by MapLight, a Berkeley-based non-profit that performed the inquiry at WIRED’s request. The investigation shows that defense cash was a better predictor of a member’s vote on the Amash amendment than party affiliation. House members who voted to continue the massive phone-call-metadata spy program, on average, raked in 122 percent more money from defense contractors than those who voted to dismantle it.

Overall, political action committees and employees from defense and intelligence firms such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing, United Technologies, Honeywell International, and others ponied up $12.97 million in donations for a two-year period ending December 31, 2012, according to the analysis, which MapLight performed with financing data from OpenSecrets. Lawmakers who voted to continue the NSA dragnet-surveillance program averaged $41,635 from the pot, whereas House members who voted to repeal authority averaged $18,765.

Link: http://www.wired.com...money-nsa-vote/

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

Are you trying to tell me you are surprised?

• Like 1

No, not surprised...But this story should be front page news....

• Like 2

I'm a little surprised. Influence peddling pure and simple... right in front of our eyes. There should be a law.. and there probably is.

• Like 1

Influence peddling is an inevitable part of politics; the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of politics, and even that doesn't always work. Long live the King.

• Like 1

No surprise here.

Half of us will object and point out the well known corruption, others will applaud and think it a good thing. So it is, near the end of the American Experiment. Eisenhower was so DAMN perceptive.

• Like 3

No surprise here.

Half of us will object and point out the well known corruption, others will applaud and think it a good thing. So it is, near the end of the American Experiment. Eisenhower was so DAMN perceptive.

Ike did warn us about the dangers of the military-industrial complex... Did anyone listen? Nope....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

Ike did warn us about the dangers of the military-industrial complex... Did anyone listen? Nope....

Why would anybody? All were happy with the glory of a won war, the economic upturn owed to the almost destruction of the European industry and Bonanza.

• Like 2

I'm surprised the facts have gotten out and weren't hidden beneath layers of tax havens and "gifts from friends".

• Like 2

Influence peddling is an inevitable part of politics; the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of politics, and even that doesn't always work. Long live the King.

Very true, but there is some difference between wheeling and dealing on behalf of your constituents.. and acceptance of bribery for Personal gain?

I think selling your vote is against the rules?

• Like 1

One thing with a proper King, if you get caught you lose your head; in the States you spend a few months in a restrictive country club and then you get a nice job with whoever was bribing you.

• Like 1

His partnership with Mike really overshadowed his political career