Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prehistoric 'Devil shark' found in Arizona

Still Waters

Archaeologists in Arizona have discovered a previously unknown prehistoric shark, with horns on its head and razor-sharp teeth.

The shark has been named in Latin as Diablodontus michaeledmundi - or "Devil Tooth". It represents a new extinct genus and species.

Living about 260 million years ago, the shark survived the Permian-Triassic extinction event - a point in history 252 million years ago known as "The Great Dying," where 96 per cent of life was wiped out.

http://www.telegraph...in-Arizona.html

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Commander Travis

• Jacques Terreur

• Q-C

• ToJPhantom

i wouldnt want to be alone with one of those

Unless a proven man-eater/attacker, I wouldn't mind, as I have already swum with sharks, as many other people have too, without knowing it.

We caught many common close-to-shore sharks (as well as huge stingray) right off the coasts of Georgia (Tybee Island) and the Carolina's (not far from Myrtle Beach) where people swim. No Bull, Hammerhead, Great White, or Tigers though.

These were probably mostly juveniles, up to near 4-feet in length with razor sharp teeth and sandpaper sharp skin. They rarely bother anyone though.

"While there have been no shark-related deaths in Georgia -- and only nine recorded bites between 1670 and 2000 -- some beachgoers are still wary." http://savannahnow.c...calsharks.shtml

Edited by QuiteContrary

I always get excited when I see these stories, but it always ends up a disappointment, because they're always Fossils that are millions of years old. :(

"While there have been no shark-related deaths in Georgia -- and only nine recorded bites between 1670 and 2000 -- some beachgoers are still wary." http://savannahnow.c...calsharks.shtml

But how many shark related deaths have there been in Arizona? :unsure2:

But how many shark related deaths have there been in Arizona? :unsure2:

I was replying to kannin's comment on not wanting be alone with this shark. An obvious time-line impossibility as well. He went there and so, so did I. LIkewise, it's possible this shark isn't so different from modern day ones.

i just hope some SyFy execs read this story, too!!

Sorry if I'm a little slow, but can someone tell me how they can tell all this by just a few teeth?

http://paleodb.org/?...ction_no=132087

Yep..how in the hell they can say it's over 200 million years old. I don't buy it

The body of the shark reminds me of that of a a Port Jackson shark.

Yep..how in the hell they can say it's over 200 million years old. I don't buy it

I've never been convinced by all this fossil business, to be honest. How do we know they're not just making it all up? :unsure2:

Fed on sea mammals? 260 million years ago? I don't think so! Who edits these things?

Fed on sea mammals? 260 million years ago? I don't think so! Who edits these things?

uuh, where'd you get THAT From?

I do like the slightly surprised look on its face in the artists' expression, mind.

• 3 weeks later...

When i read the title and sub title, "devil shark" and "devil like horns", that sketch is not what i imagined.. disappointed.. god i got a wide imagination.