Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA discovers unusual pink exoplanet

Waspie_Dwarf

Astronomers Image Lowest-mass Exoplanet Around a Sun-like Star

Using infrared data from the Subaru Telescope in Hawaii, an international team of astronomers has imaged a giant planet around the bright star GJ 504. Several times the mass of Jupiter and similar in size, the new world, dubbed GJ 504b, is the lowest-mass planet ever detected around a star like the sun using direct imaging techniques.

"If we could travel to this giant planet, we would see a world still glowing from the heat of its formation with a color reminiscent of a dark cherry blossom, a dull magenta," said Michael McElwain, a member of the discovery team at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "Our near-infrared camera reveals that its color is much more blue than other imaged planets, which may indicate that its atmosphere has fewer clouds."

GJ 504b orbits its star at nearly nine times the distance Jupiter orbits the sun, which poses a challenge to theoretical ideas of how giant planets form.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Newly Discovered Pink Exoplanet on the Lighter Side.

There is a pink exoplanet circling a star very much like our own, 57 light-years away from Earth. But its origins are a mystery.

In a new study announcing the magenta gas giant, researchers were able to directly image this exoplanet using the Subaru telescope on Hawaii. The color of this blushing body indicates it has less cloud cover than other observed exoplanets, meaning researchers can peer even deeper into its atmosphere to divine its components.

***SNIP***

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130808-exoplanet-pink-low-mass-star-space-science/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20130811news-pinkexo&utm_campaign=Content

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
2c. Plagiarism and copyright: Members are asked to copy only as much as is necessary when quoting material from external sources, do not copy and paste entire articles or web pages.
  • Like 1

Don't forget about the Universe's largest Shopping Mall.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

Forgive my ignorance but does the planet only appear "pink" because of the infra-red photography?

At any rate it is nice to see stuff like this, it shows that astronomers do NOT know everything about the universe as some claim to.

Assuming that this photo is not photo-shopped or hoaxed, it shows that physics is far more weirder than we thought.

• Like 1

Populated by girls, butterflies and ponies, no doubt.

with a very nice man for a leader :lol:

liberace-the-official-liberace-website_750_767_80.jpg?1a7285

• Like 3

I love it! It's so "girlie"! I want to live there :)

• Like 3

What a lovely image that is, though. Mars is red, and this one is pink.

What a lovely image that is, though. Mars is red, and this one is pink.

So, man came from Mars, and girls came from this pink exoplanet. :passifier:

It's all so clear to me now why my wife is so "distant"

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Well what do you know - a gay planet! :clap:

• Like 1

Best planet discovery ever. I wonder what makes the planet pink.

• Like 1

The picture is not of the planet but is an made up picture of what it might look like. The actual picture is very small with no real detail

I wish I had a keyboard to bang my head on right now. (On phone)

Edit to add: I'll just go find a wall somewhere.

Edited by Ratte
  • Like 1

The scientists are contradicting themselves here. Back in March they were saying the colour/color pink doesn't exist! So what they actually discovered is a planet that is a mixture of red and violet! See here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2112339/Sorry-girls-colour-pink-doesnt-exist-just-pigment-imagination.html

What a gorgeous planet! I want to visit that one day and bring along my kittens, who'll love it too.