Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Sun's Magnetic Field is About to Flip

Waspie_Dwarf

ScienceCasts: The Sun's Magnetic Field is About to Flip

Visit http://science.nasa.gov/ for breaking science news.

Something big is happening on the sun. The sun's global magnetic field is about to flip, a sign that Solar Max has arrived.

Source: Science@NASA - YouTube Channel

• Like 2

Cool. I just read the article this morning and I have to admit I wasn't aware that a pole reversal for the sun was so frequent.

But since this has obviously happened 11 years before, I am not sure we will be experiencing too much of a repercussion.

...maybe.

Still, we discover more and more about the space around us.

• Like 1

it is cool.. and mysterious? It would seem that there must be external, and completely UN understood, influences at play in these flips?

I had no idea about a Flip and that it occurs every 11 years either. When NASA said they weren't sure why this flip wasn't behaving like the others I must admit I thought, maybe this IS how it will all end. I just want enough of a heads up so I can get totally trashed prior to the Big Bang.

regardless of this being the end of the world or not, that website is cool and I'd encourage everyone to go see it

Well, if it does turn out apocalyptic, I propose we all re t out an island and go out with the biggest bloody bang in the history of the world! Hurra!

Apparently, it happens every 11 years. So I have been through thia 5 times in my life. It is going to be a yawn.

• Like 1

Maybe this is just how the sun recharges itself.

Maybe this is just how the sun recharges itself.

It will be a long time before the sun needs recharging, it has enough hydrogen fuel for another 5 billion years or so.

Everyone on the Sun using a compass is gonna get lost.

• Like 2

Is it me or does the overly reassuring tone of this article start to have a reverse psychology effect?

Don't worrrrry. Everything is under control. :rolleyes::yes:

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE !!!

Edited by Ad hoc

Is it me or does the overly reassuring tone of this article start to have a reverse psychology effect?

Don't worrrrry. Everything is under control. :rolleyes::yes:

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE !!!

Nope, it's just you, but you are correct we are all going to die, eventually and not as the result of something the sun does every 11 years.

Actually it was more your news tip summary, Waspie. :P

we are all going to die, eventually

Speak for yourself! I plan to save my hide by becoming some kind of zombie. :sk and I don't need the sun or any other fiery object cramping my style.

I had no idea about a Flip and that it occurs every 11 years either. When NASA said they weren't sure why this flip wasn't behaving like the others I must admit I thought, maybe this IS how it will all end. I just want enough of a heads up so I can get totally trashed prior to the Big Bang.

Yes, the magnetic poles on our sun flip every 11 years.

BTW, when was the last time the magnetic poles flipped on our sun???

Does anybody know?

lol nice one skpetic

.....11 years ago i assume

well, I was assuming the question was really 'Has this cycle come early or late at all, or is it regular and as expected.'

well, I was assuming the question was really 'Has this cycle come early or late at all, or is it regular and as expected.'

It's fairly much as expected. You wouldn't want to set your watch by the solar cycle, it's not something you can predict with 100% accuracy, but this solar max (and therefore pole reversal) is about when it was predicted to be.

• Like 1

Me thinks the Sun has a "bi-polar" disorder. :w00t:

Does this mean a possible reverse in "global warming" as we weren't really watching it closely 11 years ago were we?

It's fairly much as expected. You wouldn't want to set your watch by the solar cycle, it's not something you can predict with 100% accuracy, but this solar max (and therefore pole reversal) is about when it was predicted to be.

Wrong. According to NASA the sun is running late!

The magnetic poles flipped February 15, 2001.

Today is August 10, 2013. 11 Years ???

http://science.nasa....001/ast15feb_1/

Edited by Tau Ceti Xeta