Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to identify if someone is lying

Still Waters

For anyone wondering if their partner is hiding something or their best friend is not being entirely honest, the answer may lie in how they phrase their emails.

The language people use in the messages they write can be far more revealing than they realise, scientists say, denoting when they are lying or guarding a secret.

A US university study found that those who were concealing an awkward truth used more deceptive language, more negative emotion words and fewer words such as “I” and “me”.

http://www.telegraph...they-say-I.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skep B

• Jodie.Lynne

• Kazahel

• Still Waters

Popular Days

Narcissists constantly use "I, me and my", and we all know how truthful they are. This article isn't trustworthy.

Pretty interesting. Now the massive database in Utah can instantly tell if we are hiding something by haveing something like a web spider look for changling averages in the use of pronouns. Sheesh... I should work for the CIA ;)

It's true. I have noticed a few things that are common over they years. If Somone offers multiple excuses they are lieing. Real reasons for things usually only have one mitigating factor.

A real conversation between myself and an employee.

Employee. " uuuu I'm not feeling so well today, and....... "

Me: "Josh.... Stop... Repeat after me"

Employee: "ok"

Me/employee: " I'm sorry, I am not going to make it into work today, it will not happen that often I promise."

Me: " that's how you call in sick josh."

Josh: "yes sir ill see you tomorrow"

Edited by White Crane Feather

A real conversation between myself and an employee.

Employee. " uuuu I'm not feeling so well today, and....... "

Me: "Josh.... Stop... Repeat after me"

Employee: "ok"

Me/employee: " I'm sorry, I am not going to make it into work today, it will not happen that often I promise."

Me: " that's how you call in sick josh."

Josh: "yes sir ill see you tomorrow"

But how do you know what he was going to say after and.. ? Perhaps he was going to say "and I wont make it in today"

So this example would be saying you were assuming he was going to lie with extra reasons or is lying with the first. But how do you know he was lying with the first or was about to say anything more than " and I wont make it in today".

Anyway I think the article needed to give examples of what Bush and Truman said. That would've been a little more interesting to read.

I found the article inconclusive and self-contradictory. Especially since it is not easy to gauge a person's emotional content from the written word, just look at posts on this forum; without emoticons, you can't tell if a poster is being mean, humorous, snarky or sincere.

The best way to tell if someone is lying is to study their body language, eye movements, and verbal constructs for signs of falsehood.

Or, accuse everybody of lying all the time in every situation.

You'll eventually find a few that way

You're Lying!

:lol: