Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A blood test to tell if you need antibiotics

Still Waters

A simple three-minute blood test could tell GPs whether a patient needs antibiotics.

Not only could this help avoid patients suffering nasty side-effects from taking unnecessary drugs, but it could also tackle one of the greatest threats to modern health — antibiotic resistance. The test tells a doctor whether the patient is suffering from a viral or a bacterial infection — that way, they know whether or not to prescribe antibiotics.

http://www.dailymail...ntibiotics.html

• Like 4

Hnnnn....... I don't know... Sounds great in theory, but it makes me suspect it's a way to start pushing antivirals more... Which isn't necessarily a good thing

• Like 1

It's definitely a good idea, I can't stand it when doctors push antibiotics for every cold a kid gets. Eventually, you get stronger strains starting to develop, and peoples bodies become resistant to certain antibiotics. When I was little I used to have constant ear infections, so they put me on antibiotics a lot. Then they put tubes in my ears, and now I'm practically deaf. The constant antibiotics use when I was little, now means whenever I really do need them, they have to prescribe really strong ones, and sometimes those don't always work. Worse, is some doctors continue to do this to little kids...

Anyway, seems like a step in the right direction, but I agree with Simbi....

• Like 2

The best is to avoid antibiotics as much as you can and let your anitbodies do the job, but most people I know seem to be hooked on antibiotics and they complain when their doctors won't prescribe them.

Yes, Kowalski, antibiotics are excellent to save lives, but they also damage our bodies if we abuse them.

In the end, man made medicines relieve the symptoms but they usually don't cure and they all have strong long lasting side effects, the cure has to come from the inside and only healthy living can do that.

• Like 1

The best is to avoid antibiotics as much as you can and let your anitbodies do the job, but most people I know seem to be hooked on antibiotics and they complain when their doctors won't prescribe them.

Yes, Kowalski, antibiotics are excellent to save lives, but they also damage our bodies if we abuse them.

In the end, man made medicines relieve the symptoms but they usually don't cure and they all have strong long lasting side effects, the cure has to come from the inside and only healthy living can do that.

Though this sounds really new age and cool it is not the case. Antibiotics do cure bacterial infections and most have little to no side effects. Strong antibiotics for resistant bacteria have greater side effects as do those that target specific internal organs and bones. There are bacterial infections that either cannot be fought off or leave life long disabilities after they are. The problem is getting them when they are not needed, like for viral infections.

Though this sounds really new age and cool it is not the case. Antibiotics do cure bacterial infections and most have little to no side effects. Strong antibiotics for resistant bacteria have greater side effects as do those that target specific internal organs and bones. There are bacterial infections that either cannot be fought off or leave life long disabilities after they are. The problem is getting them when they are not needed, like for viral infections.

I have seen the side effects on antibiotics, they usually affect the digestive system and the weaker the patients, the stronger and more debilitating the side effects.

But please, don't get me wrong: antibiotics are excellent for curing bacterial infections and have saved many lives, but we were talking about people who abuse them, people who get antibiotic for any little infection instead of letting their own body deal with it (tonsillitis, for example). Bacteria are getting stronger and our immune systems weaker because we abuse medicine.

I believe preventive medicine to be the best, some illnesses or diseases you can't avoid, but in general a holistic well being will help you be free of ill health naturally.