Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guitarist forced to perform outside gig venue

Still Waters

Every performer knows that even when faced with disaster, the show must go on.

And that is exactly what happened when the underage guitarist of an American band was refused entry to his own gig.

The Michigan-based band Wayne Szalinski were due to play in a Chicago bar during a tour of the U.S Midwest, but were told that because of a strict over 21s door policy the lead singer and guitarist would not be allowed in.

http://www.dailymail...allows-21s.html

• Like 1

that is awful!

• Like 1

Got the band and the bar publicity! Isn't that what they really wanted?

Mabon.

• Like 3

Venues should inform the artists they hire about their age policy!

Ridiculous!

That is why it's always wise to have a contract signed before any gig. Having a clause in the contract that states something about the performance being cancelled due to an act of God or other cirumstances beyond the band's control still results in the band getting 'paid in full' is always something nice to have in a contract. I've had shows get rained out that I have still been paid in full for. We always tell the people that hire us, "We play for free, you just pay us to set our stuff and tear it down when we are done." Our contract states that once our gear is set up, that the band gets paid in full.

And I'm sorry... but that bar owner could have easily bent the rules a bit for a performance.

There are many exceptions to local laws when it comes to performance arts.

Mabon is absolutely correct though, both the band and the bar benefited from free publicity here. Publicity isn't cheap these days.

• Like 5

It's stupid, imo.

indeed

• Like 1

Interesting. First, whoever booked the band should have verified the members ages. Not doing so is incompetent. They also should have had a contract.

I know in Seattle, up until fairly recently we've had VERY strict 21+ laws... but even back in the 80s, underage performers were still allowed to play 21+ establishments. The deal was that they could set up, and had to go back outside or into the back office until the band went on, then could load out and had to immediately leave the property. It generally worked out pretty well!

Unfortunately in recent years, it seems that most shows in bars are all ages. I HATE it!! I went to see Buckcherry a few weeks back in a small club (around 360 max capacity--the bar was the somewhat historic Seattle Off-Ramp) and it was all ages. THERE WERE NO KIDS THERE (and there shouldn't be at a Buckcherry show!) Because it was an all ages show, everyone in the joint was stuffed up into about a 15x15 bar area smooshed together, and it was well over 100 degrees in the bar, OR they were in the other attached bar area, which has no view or sound from the stage, which had a capacity of about 150. Ixnay on the all ages shows ay. Those kids (who weren't there anyway) can wait until they're 21 to go to a bar if you ask me.

If you ask me, kids don't belong in bars unless they're PERFORMING. Then the shows can be all ages too. That makes sense.

It's silly to keep underage kids from performing if their audience are 21+ (and some are, we have 2 or three bands like that around the area) there are ways to handle it successfully. I do suppose it all depends on local laws though. If you're an underage band, know the law before you sign on to play. If there is no law, get a contract that says you get paid whether they let you play or not.

• Like 1

Publicity like this can get you a record deal 