Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fukishima radioactive water leak 'emergency'

WHO U KIDDIN

Lethal threat from radioactive water flowing into sea from crippled Fukushima

Contaminated groundwater has breached an underground barrier, and is rising towards the surface, exceeding legal limits of radioactive discharge.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/asia/article3835032.ece

BBC Video available here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23584008

• Like 6

Slow news day?

If the scribblers can not think of a good catchy headline, the revert to one their old starlwarts, such as a scare story about "fukushima".

• Like 1

This has been going on for 2-1/2 years! The ocean must be full of radioactive water by now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/07/japan-fukushima-pm-idUSL4N0G80HK20130807

Fukushima leaking 300 tonnes of toxic water a day into Pacific
  • Like 7

At least we'll glow in the Dark? :P

• Like 4

yep! One big mess that no one knows how to solve and continues to worsen. I think there is a lesson to be learned here.

• Like 8

Not that we have a choice in the end, but that is a horrible way to die and I'm hoping there is a solution quickly. What the heck have "they" been doing for so long?

• Like 4

I actually believed them at the time of the catastrophe. What a mess - and no end in sight.

• Like 5

Slow news day?

If the scribblers can not think of a good catchy headline, the revert to one their old starlwarts, such as a scare story about "fukushima".

Strange how you deny the seriousness of the situation at Fukushima. Are you really Japanese? Or better yet are you human?

I work at a major university in NYC.

I have had the pleasure to meet several scholars from Japan that have migrated to NYC with their families to avoid the radioactive releases that are non stop and contaminating most of Northern Japan.

The 300 tons of radioactive water that is pouring out of Fukushima daily and into the Pacific Ocean is a critical situation for all people on this planet. Only idiots would think otherwise.

Edited by WHO U KIDDIN
  • Like 5

Asahi: Radioactive contamination ‘soaring’ in Fukushima groundwater — Strontium and other beta emitters up 4,500% in recent days; Cesium rises nearly 1,500% — Tepco says it doesn’t know why levels spiked.

http://enenews.com/huge-spike-groundwater-contamination-5-days-fukushima-plant-4500-increase-strontium-other-beta-emitters-cesium-levels-1500-tepco-video

• Like 3

Can anyone tell me what this means for the environment, and lets be honest, ME? Ok well me and the wife and kids

Can anyone tell me what this means for the environment, and lets be honest, ME? Ok well me and the wife and kids

Not even the 'experts' are really sure what this critical situation means for the environment let alone for humans and the other animals and flora that share this planet with us. We have never experienced a disaster like this one, 3 complete reactor core meltdowns. But here's a video with some good facts:

[media=]

[/media]

Nuclear experts like Dr. Helen Caldicott speak about the increase in cancer related deaths over the long term 5-10-15-20 years down the line, and of the raise of leukemia and thyroid conditions in the general population.

The Fukushima situation is very unique for even the Chernobyl disaster does not compare to it since the magnitude of radiation that has been released and the contaminated water that has entered the Pacific is really not known and has not been accurately monitored or measured.

Edited by WHO U KIDDIN
  • Like 1

Damn thanks for the info WHO U KIDDIN

. What the heck have "they" been doing for so long?

From my understanding, all they have been doing is pumping water on it to keep it cool so it doesn´t blow. This creates a whole new problem as the water is contaminated after this and needs to be stored somewhere. They really have no idea how to deal with this problem and most MSM isn´t reporting on it.

The dominant reality is this: There is absolutely no indication how or when this lethal outflow will stop.

Thus far, Tepco has built scores of tanks on the site to contain whatever contaminated water it can capture. But the company is by no means getting all of it, and it is running out of space.

Some of the tanks, of course, have already sprung leaks.

Japanese experts have already estimated Fukushima's fallout at 20-30 times as high as the 1945 bombings.

Tepco, the owner/operator--and one of the world's biggest and most technologically advanced electric utilities--has all but admitted it cannot control the situation. Its shoddy performance has prompted former U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commissioner Dale Klein to charge: “You don't what you are doing.”

The Japanese government is stepping in. But there is no guarantee--or even likelihood--it will do any better.

In fact, there is no certainty as to what’s causing this out-of-control flow of death and destruction.

Some 28 months after three of the six reactors exploded at the Fukushima Daichi site, nobody can offer a definitive explanation of what is happening there or how to deal with it.

http://www.progressive.org/fukushima-nightmare-gets-worse

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 2

This IS the most underreported issue of this year, by mainstream media. No wonder the newspapers are going bust. they no longer print the news. they just print perception control. Buying a mind-set is a really stupid thing to do. Not many people are willing to do it anymore.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 7

This IS the most underreported issue of this year, by mainstream media. No wonder the newspapers are going bust. they no longer print the news. they just print perception control. Buying a mind-set is a really stupid thing to do. Not many people are willing to do it anymore.

So true!! Which mainstream media was reporting this yesterday?

Threatening to trigger a new—and possibly more devastating—nuclear disaster than the original or ongoing one at the Fukishima plant in Japan, a risky plan to remove fuel rods from a damaged reactor building could unleash an "unprecedented" level of radiation, according to experts, if things go wrong.

According to reporting by Reuters, the radioactive material within the fuel rods slated for removal are equivalent to 14,000 times the amount released in the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and the plan to move them "has never been attempted before on this scale."

The 400 tons of highly irradiated spent fuel and other nuclear materials will be taken from the crippled building and moved to a safer location, but the manner of the operation should be put in serious doubt, say the experts.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/08/14-6

• Like 3

This sounds like a very serious situation.

Due to the clear global environmental impact I hope the UN or something like that will intervene, before all this contaminated ocean water creates "real" sea monsters", or kills/injures scores of people from eating radioactive seafood.

Does this mean I should not eat the fish with 3 eye balls? I bought it fresh just yesterday.

• Like 2

What's sad is, just like every other important issue that affects humanity, this also will just be swept under the rug until it's to late.

Edited by Ogbin
  • Like 8

That's what I was thinking. With this going on, wouldn't you think all of the leaders of the world would be cooperating to help solve the situation before we are all glowing in the dark? I know, not unless there is money in it for them...I am so disappointed in politicians.

• Like 4

I live on the British Columbia coast,eat lots and lots of salmon and other seafood so this definitely hits home

I don't know how to begin in trying to wrap my head around how irresponsible this is

If humans are going to play around with nuclear energy without understanding the implications is just unacceptable

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.ca/2013/08/pump-and-pray-tepco-might-have-to-pour.html?utm_source=BP_recent

• Like 2

I live on the British Columbia coast,eat lots and lots of salmon and other seafood so this definitely hits home

I don't know how to begin in trying to wrap my head around how irresponsible this is

If humans are going to play around with nuclear energy without understanding the implications is just unacceptable

http://landdestroyer...ource=BP_recent

Khol you should ease off the seafood, I know it's hard I happen to love it too!

But ever since the BP disaster and Fukushima I been doing Omega-3 supplements, not as good as a well-baked salmon or stuffed crab but what else can you do.

From Enenews:

Unprecedented: Sockeye salmon at dire historic low on Canada’s Pacific coast — “We think something happened in the ocean” — “The elders have never seen anything like this at all” — Alaska and Russia also affected

http://enenews.com/u...n-anything-like

Edited by WHO U KIDDIN
  • Like 1

What I like to know is "Why have the elites and political leaders of the world completely ignored the Fukushima disaster?"

From Day 1 it was obvious that TEPCO could never really effectively deal with this unprecedented event. The Japanese government should have stepped in with their Defense Forces like the old USSR did in Chernobyl. And they should have immediately requested the world to help in containing this situation.

Now after more than 2 years Japan is asking nuclear experts and nations around the world for assistance and the government is officially taking over the management of the emergency from TEPCO.

Perhaps too late.

Presently the Spent Pool in reactor unit 4 is dangerously close to collapsing, it contains enough fuel rods to release radiation equal to 25 Hiroshimas, and recently it was reported that the ground around the whole plant appears to be liquifying.

Daily over 300 tons of highly radioactive waste water enters the Pacific Ocean. A biologist has found Pacific herrings in Canada hemorrhaging and early this year 100's of sea lions where found dead up and down the west coast. But of course now of these events can be related to the radiation releases from Fukushima, 1000's of miles away.

NOW WHO ARE WE KIDDING?

• Like 5

yeah thanks man.. what can ya do is right

welcome to to world we now live in

dumping of plastics in the ocean,having it leach into the food chain,people eat the seafood..in essence we're eating our own garbage

this wasn't bad enough

now we're dealing with possibly radiated food..it really is just plain disgusting

I don't know..is it possible for anyone to aquire a geiger counter and do our own personal monitoring?

other then that the only option really is to cuttback on seafood like you say and play it safe

• Like 2

This sounds like a very serious situation.

Does this mean I should not eat the fish with 3 eye balls? I bought it fresh just yesterday.

It has always been a serious situation. Just underreported.

And yes you shouldn´t eat a fish that looks like this:

post-114830-0-83271400-1377094768_thumb.

I´m making light of it but in all seriosness:

Nearly two years after the nuclear disaster in Japan, caused by the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, leading to the Fukushima nuclear disaster, a fish caught near the site had a record-breaking level of radioactive contamination.

How bad? over 2500x the legal limit. ‘Mike the Murasoi’ was measured by TEPCO, the Tokyo electric power company, at 254,000 becquerels per kilogram. The limit for edible seafood is 100 becquerels. The previous record was ten times lower, standing at 25,800 becquerels/kg.

As a new set of precautions TEPCO is installing new nets 20km around the Fukushima Daichi site to avoid highly contaminated fish getting too far and being consumed by other species.

http://walyou.com/most-radioactive-fish-mike-fukushima/

• Like 4

Time to start growing your own fruit and veg and trying to live off that! Scary stuff, it's amazing how you have to go and search for this stuff online, it should be on the front of every newspaper and on every news buletin.

Instead its stuff like the one direct movie *facepalm*

• Like 4