Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs yawn along with their masters

Still Waters

Tired dog lovers who think their pet pooch is yawning right along with them may just be right, according to a Japanese study.

Dubbed "contagious yawning", the new research says man's best friend can sense human fatigue and, in a possible show of empathy, will join humans in a big yawn.

http://uk.news.yahoo...49.html#VusWwD7

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised, considering I'm always the first to yawn when seeing my dog let one out.

• Like 1

I can see that. There have been several times when our dog, otherwise laying on the carpet and staring at us, will yawn if one of us yawns.

Not every time, but enough to suggest a possible connection as the article mentions.

• Like 1

If it's female dog owner is she called a mistress? Am liking the thought of a dog having a mistress. I betcha French poodles have loads.

*looks for medcation*

Simple imitation, that is all. Yawning itself, of course, has a completely different meaning for a dog than for a human.

Luckily, peeing and having a dump in the street is not 'contagious' to humans. Well, most humans.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Natgeo wild new show, secret lives of dogs suggest that the dog yawning is empathetic and shows a good bond with the owner.

This does not surprise me. Our dog f*rts when my husband does, its like they are competing for a Verdi prize sometimes!