Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Equation

markprice

S (W+E) X ∞ = ghosts

S = soul

W = will

E = energy

%7B31953205-0C88-4E83-8E82-6255494D8637%7DImg100.jpg

The only problem I have with it is that the will could separate from the energy at death. The equation presupposes that the soul remains a unit; in his experience that does appear to be the case, hence the equation to help him wrap his head around otherwise unsatisfactorily explained events.

this formula doesn't really make much sense. and I don't know how it proves anything

unless im just totally missing the point

• Like 6

Completely meaningless. I could throw a bunch of numbers and symbols together and have them equal 'NO GHOSTS"

• Like 7

I + G + BS = Ghosts

I = Imagination

G = Gullibility

BS = BS

:)

Oops, I think you forgot to square the BS!

• Like 4

I agree, that doesn't make any sense. It's not even wrong.

Scientific equations make sense in the terms put into them and the units used. I can figure out how much energy a 100W light bulb running for an hour uses calculating 100W * 3600 seconds = 100J/s * 3600 seconds = 360,000J = 360 kilojoules. That makes sense. It all works out and the units are right and match up.

But the equation in the OP? How do you add will to energy? Are they both definable or measurable in units like joules? If not, you can't add them. If so, then how do you define or measure "will" in terms of units of energy? What does it mean to multiply the result by "soul"? Is soul something you can multiply by? Why multiply by infinity?

Does the right hand side always just equal "ghosts"? Not 1 ghost or 2 ghosts or 25% chance of a ghost? How you quantify the terms in the left of the equation to give a coherent result on the right that can be used to test against reality?

As it is, without further explanation, I can't figure out at all what it means or is trying to say. Can the OP elaborate on the meaning of the equation and how it came to be?

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 3

B + E = D

Beer plus

Engulfing equals

Drunkenness.

Only equation that matters

• Like 4

Ok, glad I'm not the idiotic dou*he who wasn't understanding some higher form of math

• Like 5

I + G + BS = Ghosts

I = Imagination

G = Gullibility

BS = BS

:)

At least, until you've had the experience. Then it's G = RLAR Ghost = Run Like A Rabbit

• Like 2

At least, until you've had the experience. Then it's G = RLAR Ghost = Run Like A Rabbit

LOL

I've actually seen and felt demons. They were real and terrifying, for a while.... until the alcohol withdrawals stopped.

• Like 4

LOL

I've actually seen and felt demons. They were real and terrifying, for a while.... until the alcohol withdrawals stopped.

LMAO

I've actually had a ghost experience (and no, I didn't actually see one), but you better believe I ran!

• Like 1

I agree, that doesn't make any sense. It's not even wrong.

Scientific equations make sense in the terms put into them and the units used. I can figure out how much energy a 100W light bulb running for an hour uses calculating 100W * 3600 seconds = 100J/s * 3600 seconds = 360,000J = 360 kilojoules. That makes sense. It all works out and the units are right and match up.

But the equation in the OP? How do you add will to energy? Are they both definable or measurable in units like joules? If not, you can't add them. If so, then how do you define or measure "will" in terms of units of energy? What does it mean to multiply the result by "soul"? Is soul something you can multiply by? Why multiply by infinity?

Does the right hand side always just equal "ghosts"? Not 1 ghost or 2 ghosts or 25% chance of a ghost? How you quantify the terms in the left of the equation to give a coherent result on the right that can be used to test against reality?

As it is, without further explanation, I can't figure out at all what it means or is trying to say. Can the OP elaborate on the meaning of the equation and how it came to be?

Quoting now:

My hypothesis is something I am calling the "intelligent energy" idea. I am no mathematician, but I am certain that if I were, I could devise a wonderful formula for this idea. [see equation] Not as elegant as I would have imagined for myself, but there it is. I am no Stephen Hawking, but I would say I lean toward the decent side of the fence. Then again, maybe not--I do say **** a lot, apparently using course language is a sign of limited intelligence.

Well **** you too, d**k breath.

The whole book is a wild rant like that. His experiences are not BS IMO. What he's giving here is his interpretation.

So basically the meaning of the equation breaks down his theory of intelligent energy into a hypothetical idea. He's obviously not trying to prove anything. Anyone who has experienced intelligent energy/ghosts needs to then try to understand what the hell just happened, and the more it happens the more existing theories fail--at least for him. So there you have a new theory from a guy who experienced a hell of a lot of that kind of thing.

edit: the infinity is based on: "energy can neither be created or destroyed".

Edited by markprice

S (W+E) X ∞ = ghosts

S = soul

W = will

E = energy

%7B31953205-0C88-4E83-8E82-6255494D8637%7DImg100.jpg

The only problem I have with it is that the will could separate from the energy at death. The equation presupposes that the soul remains a unit; in his experience that does appear to be the case, hence the equation to help him wrap his head around otherwise unsatisfactorily explained events.

That looks like the cover to a bad Hallmark family movie.

• Like 1

That looks like the cover to a bad Hallmark family movie.

He's wearing the suit from the guy who shot Lincoln...(movie)

If ghosts are pure human energy and energy cannot be destroyed (reincarnation)...well you do the math.

Is that the infinity symbol in there? Anyway I've always wondered about a ghost equation. If you'rer going to prove the existence that is what you need not cameras and fuzzy recordings of nothing.

edit: the infinity is based on: "energy can neither be created or destroyed".

1. Why would the fact that energy cannot be destroyed or created mean you put a multiplied by infinity factor in the equation?

2. Why don't all formulae and equations involving an energy factor thus have the same not obviously meaningful multiplied by infinity factor?

If ghosts are pure human energy and energy cannot be destroyed (reincarnation)...well you do the math.

I wish someone would do the math, because that thing in OP maybe many things, but it ain't math.

There is no form of energy called "human energy" (we have all sorts of energy in us - thermal energy, chemical energy, electrical energy, etc.) and even if it were true that such a thing existed, it would not logically lead to the conclusion of ghosts.

Energy (or more properly mass-energy) cannot be destroyed, but it can change form and change into other forms of energy.

When something is destroyed, it merely becomes something else. Smash your TV to pieces and throw it in the garbage and you no longer have a working TV even though the matter and energy still exists in some form, even if you burn it, chemically dissolve it and scatter it across the globe. I don't see why it's any more reasonable to conclude that humans must live on as ghosts because their energy can't be destroyed any more than I think the universe is haunted by the ghosts of old TV sets because their energy can't be destroyed.

• Like 2

1. Why would the fact that energy cannot be destroyed or created mean you put a multiplied by infinity factor in the equation?

Just a way to say energy is infinite.

2. Why don't all formulae and equations involving an energy factor thus have the same not obviously meaningful multiplied by infinity factor?

Because he created a hypothetical in which that fact (energy times infinity) is crucial to the point he's making.

I wish someone would do the math, because that thing in OP maybe many things, but it ain't math.

Right, it's a hypothetical equation.

There is no form of energy called "human energy" (we have all sorts of energy in us - thermal energy, chemical energy, electrical energy, etc.) and even if it were true that such a thing existed, it would not logically lead to the conclusion of ghosts.

Human electrical energy is why your heart is beating. In a ghost--in the author's experience--electrical energy is drained from batteries because that helps it continue to function at some level.

Energy (or more properly mass-energy) cannot be destroyed, but it can change form and change into other forms of energy.

When something is destroyed, it merely becomes something else. Smash your TV to pieces and throw it in the garbage and you no longer have a working TV even though the matter and energy still exists in some form, even if you burn it, chemically dissolve it and scatter it across the globe. I don't see why it's any more reasonable to conclude that humans must live on as ghosts because their energy can't be destroyed any more than I think the universe is haunted by the ghosts of old TV sets because their energy can't be destroyed.

That's why he brings up reincarnation. The TV is dead but the electricity lives on--you know, the spirit of the TV is also electricity and then it gets smashed with a sledge hammer so the electricity goes elsewhere, like to another TV. That's overly simplistic, because it's a TV, but you get the picture.

Then why aren't we **** deep in ghosts then?

Where's Hitler's ghost? Or Stalin's? Or JFK or Gandhi's or any one of a billion strongwilled individuals who've lived over the centuries.

• Like 2

Just a way to say energy is infinite.

That doesn't answer my question and doesn't make any sense. Taking an equation or formula that happens to have energy as one of the factors and multiplying one side by infinity does not say "energy is infinite" any more than sticking a multiplication factor by infinity into any other equation that involves energy says "energy is infinite". That's not how it works. You can't just take a bunch of stuff, put some on the left of an equal sign and something on the right and then say "hmmm... energy is infinite and energy is part of our equation, therefore we need to multiply the left side by infinity in order to say energy is infinite". That doesn't make a lick of sense. It's all very vague and woo sounding with extremely vague and unquantifiable appeals for why it should be so which aren't standing up to any sort of basic logical questioning.

Think about it another way - anything multiplied by infinity is infinity, therefore the factors apart from infinity are redundant and the equation reduces to infinity = ghosts. Does that make any sense?

Also, since when has it been an acknowledged fact that energy is infinite? The fact that mass-energy is a conserved quantity does not mean it is an infinite quantity. It could well be finite and still true.

Because he created a hypothetical in which that fact (energy times infinity) is crucial to the point he's making.

But how and why is it crucial to the point he's making? What chain of logic led to him concluding that the equation needed a multiplication factor of infinity on the left hand side to be true? If the infinity is removed on the left, then what does the right hand side become? Why wouldn't the equation be equally true if the infinity factor was removed?

It sounds like you are finding some sort of appeal to his equation and claims but can't actually coherently explain why it appeals so. I really have no idea what your actual argument (if any) is.

Edited by JesseCuster

Then why aren't we **** deep in ghosts then?

Where's Hitler's ghost? Or Stalin's? Or JFK or Gandhi's or any one of a billion strongwilled individuals who've lived over the centuries.

Again, this is why he introduced the idea of reincarnation in the same chapter as the equation. (edit: there is also heaven and hell but as an atheist he doesn't dwell on that kind of thing, even though heaven is in the book title)

That doesn't answer my question and doesn't make any sense. Taking an equation or formula that happens to have energy as one of the factors and multiplying one side by infinity does not say "energy is infinite" any more than sticking a multiplication factor by infinity into any other equation that involves energy says "energy is infinite". That's not how it works. You can't just take a bunch of stuff, put some on the left of an equal sign and something on the right and then say "hmmm... energy is infinite and energy is part of our equation, therefore we need to multiply the left side by infinity in order to say energy is infinite". That doesn't make a lick of sense. It's all very vague and woo sounding with extremely vague and unquantifiable appeals for why it should be so which aren't standing up to any sort of basic logical questioning.

Think about it another way - anything multiplied by infinity is infinity, therefore the factors apart from infinity are redundant and the equation reduces to infinity = ghosts. Does that make any sense?

Also, since when has it been an acknowledged fact that energy is infinite? The fact that mass-energy is a conserved quantity does not mean it is an infinite quantity. It could well be finite and still true.

But how and why is it crucial to the point he's making? What chain of logic led to him concluding that the equation needed a multiplication factor of infinity on the left hand side to be true? If the infinity is removed on the left, then what does the right hand side become? Why wouldn't the equation be equally true if the infinity factor was removed?

It sounds like you are finding some sort of appeal to his equation and claims but can't actually coherently explain why it appeals so. I really have no idea what your actual argument (if any) is.

If you understand the equation it is actually Soul X infinity = ghosts--without infinity the soul could just dissipate to nothing. Which is to say the soul never dies because it is made up of Energy, and it reincarnates, or in some odd cases attaches itself to locations or people or whatever because the Will is too strong to let it move on...and ghosts are all kinds of "woo". I mean this is as woo as woo gets; so that's why he came up with an equation: to put a handle on it. Am I repeating myself now...I get your scientific perspective but this is more in the realm of metaphysical philosophy--equations can exist there too--except for the fact that he has actual paranormal encounters to deal with. So the guy puts his equation in a book and now ghost hunters might have a better idea of what they are looking for. That's pretty much the whole point of the chapter called Paranormal Paralysis and Paranoid Parameters.

Edited by markprice