Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Mona Lisa' skeleton due for DNA testing

Still Waters

Researchers say they're opening up a Florentine family tomb for the first time in centuries as part of their long-running effort to identify the bones of a woman who is thought to be the model for Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa portrait.

http://www.nbcnews.c...ting-6C10874613

Another waste of the tax payers money. Should we exhume one of the UK's dead kings or queens and see if we can facially reconstruct them, just to see if they look like their portraits? Totally Bonkers. But yes I can see a tourist money making angle going here

There have always been rumours about the true identity of the Mona Lisa, some saying Leonardo liked to cross-dress and that the Mona LIsa was actually him.

They can't prove that woman is 'La Gioconda' even if they look similar.

• Like 1

is it "Mona Lisa Week" on UM??

• Like 1

Too much of this sort of thing is going on. I understand curiosity, but this is ridiculous. Once buried, please leave me in my grave, even if in the future a 6-lane highway runs through the cemetery.

• Like 2

Researchers say they're opening up a Florentine family tomb for the first time in centuries as part of their long-running effort to identify the bones of a woman who is thought to be the model for Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa portrait.

http://www.nbcnews.c...ting-6C10874613

And who cares? I mean (with all due respect), who cares about a woman who maybe posed as a model for a painting?

What's important is Leonardo's art, not the model.

We don't even know how precise he was in portraying her. Maybe the famous "smile" they talk in the article has been added by Leonardo. So, rather than "bad teeth" or "congenital palsy" it was simply an artist's creation.

"When the wise man points at the Moon, the fool looks at the finger".

Another waste of the tax payers money. Should we exhume one of the UK's dead kings or queens and see if we can facially reconstruct them, just to see if they look like their portraits? Totally Bonkers. But yes I can see a tourist money making angle going here

It depends from the point of view (and as I already wrote, I agree with you that it's a waste of energies).

But, what do you care? Are you going to pay for that? I don't think so.

I don't like when people says "it's a waste of tax payers money", when many times it's not and especially when it's not theirs. Speaking of UK kings and queen, you mean something like this http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250688 (or maybe being her Scot doesn't count, and no offense intended)? I guess that also this http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=245508 is a waste of your taxes, right?

Anyway don't worry: 1) usually these operations are funded only partially by the state and for the most part from private capitals 2) even if it would have been paid entirely with tax money, it would be a drop in the ocean, compared to Italian political wastes 3) I'd prefer they'd spend money in this way 100 times, rather than for their own and private interests, like they do.

Frankly, the satisfaction of curiosity (within limits) should be the guiding factor of science not "this is a waste of money". Ironically, I'm the first to shout "this is a waste of money" about a tonne of things (including frivolous rubbish like this) but that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.

Maybe I've changed, maybe spending time with students who are allowed to say "I want to build a guinea pig hotel" and then being told "off you go then" has changed my view on what is or is not a valued use of one's time and energy.

personally, i'm all for "frivolous" research like this. i'm endlessly curious about people in the past as individuals, and not just the important people. if this leads to learning more about this woman, who she was, and what her life was like, then it's a good thing, even if it's not earth shattering.

and i could hardly give two figs about taxpayers and their money. figs!

If/When they do a D.N.A. test what are they gonna compare it to.

If/When they do a D.N.A. test what are they gonna compare it to.

They will try to recreate the face from her bones and compare the features the the Mona Lisa to see if they could have been the same person.

I love ALL scientific adventures, but this one, to me, seems like such a waste of money.

They will try to recreate the face from her bones and compare the features the the Mona Lisa to see if they could have been the same person.

I love ALL scientific adventures, but this one, to me, seems like such a waste of money.

Yep a total waste of resources,it reminds me of Burke and Hare, who used to go around digging up coffins and selling the contents to medical research.And they came to a gruesome end.

Yep a total waste of resources,it reminds me of Burke and Hare, who used to go around digging up coffins and selling the contents to medical research.And they came to a gruesome end.

Weren't Burke and Hare killers? Didn't they commit the murders?

Very cool I hope the find something it's not my tax money.anyways like the other person said Mona Lisa is divinnci

I can understand the curiosity, but does it really matter? To me, what matters is the art, and nothing else. Oh, well. As long as private monies are being used to fund this little venture, I won't object.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of curious myself