Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
questionmark

NSA loophole allows warrantless search

questionmark

Detail of Section 702 of the Fisa Amendments Act (FAA), which gives the NSA authority to target without warrant the communications of foreign targets.

The National Security Agency has a secret backdoor into its vast databases under a legal authority enabling it to search for US citizens' email and phone calls without a warrant, according to a top-secret document passed to the Guardian by Edward Snowden.

The previously undisclosed rule change allows NSA operatives to hunt for individual Americans' communications using their name or other identifying information. Senator Ron Wyden told the Guardian that the law provides the NSA with a loophole potentially allowing "warrantless searches for the phone calls or emails of law-abiding Americans".

Read more

OK, now what happened here? Is this the majority in Congress so lazy that they don't read what they vote for or are they incapable of understanding plain English?

• Like 1

Dark_Grey

OK, now what happened here? Is this the majority in Congress so lazy that they don't read what they vote for or are they incapable of understanding plain English?

It won't be an issue for them until one of them is targeted by the NSA

• Like 1

questionmark

It won't be an issue for them until one of them is targeted by the NSA

The point is that the provision violates the 4th amendment and as such could invalidate the whole act closing down the NSA.

• Like 1

Kowalski

The point is that the provision violates the 4th amendment and as such could invalidate the whole act closing down the NSA.

Yep. The Fourth Amendment states:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I think someone needs to stand outside the capitol and hand out booklets of the Constitution, because obviously these guys haven't read it....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

questionmark

Yep. The Fourth Amendment states:

I think someone needs to stand outside the capitol and hand out booklets of the Constitution, because obviously these guys haven't read it....

Now, now you cannot expect them to take some time out of their fundraising activities to read the constitution, would you?

• Like 1

lightly

The oath Congressmen take ...

The current oath was enacted in 1884:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

• Like 1

Raptor Witness

The Guardian should interview some of the targets of the secret surveillance program. They would find out a lot more about the finer details.

The not so "ordinary" citizens that President Obama mentioned in his press conference last Friday.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

pallidin

Close the NSA? That's insane, and won't happen.

But hey, while you're at it, why not also close the FBI, border patrol, police SWAT, spy satellites, Special Ops, nuclear submarines, the entire military and so on.

That way the US can be infiltrated, attacked and taken over by some very nasty people; far worse than the government we now have.

Now, if you speak progressive reform, and VOTE, perfect. But if you speak otherwise, well, I'll leave it at that.

Dark_Grey

Close the NSA? That's insane, and won't happen.

But hey, while you're at it, why not also close the FBI, border patrol, police SWAT, spy satellites, Special Ops, nuclear submarines, the entire military and so on.

That way the US can be infiltrated, attacked and taken over by some very nasty people; far worse than the government we now have.

Now, if you speak progressive reform, and VOTE, perfect. But if you speak otherwise, well, I'll leave it at that.

In theory, yes; we do need all these services. We need them very much. But when they aren't doing the jobs they claim these services are responsible for, then we are throwing our rights to the wind for nothing.

• Like 2