Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My own close encounter - Turkey/2001

egesagin

Hi everyone, I know that I'm new to this site and that naturally generates a prejudgment, but please give my story a chance, as I don't find many people to talk about it.

A quick background information: I'm from Turkey, I'm 23 years old at the moment and I was 11 at the time these events took place. I DID have an interest in UFO's since I was much smaller, but I haven't even heard of some concepts that I've experienced during these events, prior to them. I come from a well educated family, I was raised with science books and I'm an atheist in Turkey (which is quite tough to be). I'm also quite the skeptic about paranormal phenomena, despite being fascinated by them. I haven't had any psychiatric problems until I was 18, prior to my university entrance exams and then at 19 again, at my first year of college. I've been depressed since, going through some tough phases, but before that, I haven't suffered from any psychiatric illness as far as we know. PS: My mom and dad are both doctors.

I know it sounds awkward to start with credibility related issues, but you were probably going to ask anyway, so I wanted to get it out the sooner the better.

To this day, I've kept this mostly as a secret, because it was a rather delicate issue, and there weren't many people who could understand. I'm still uncomfortable when I talk about this, but I've really liked this website so I want to share it and get opinions and recommendations. I've shared it with some close friends, my psychiatrist and an American hypnosis expert. I asked my psychiatrist about hypnosis therapy to remember everything vividly, but she thought that wasn't a priority, and that there weren't capable hypnosis experts in Turkey. The American expert said the same, regarding experts, so I just kept my story to myself.

Now finally, the real story:

It was the summer of 2001, early summer days, late June. I was eleven years old, and I was on a summer camp, at Foca/Izmir. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fo%C3%A7a ). It was a two week long camp, at a hotel on the shore, where we studied and played sports and games etc. Although I was interested in UFOs, I did not think about them much at those times. I was pretty occupied with video games and scientific issues in general. My roommate at the camp however, was interested in them and it turned up in some of the discussions of our group. (As a skeptic, I find this part of my experience as a crucial part, as talking about UFO's with him may have caused a delusion on my side, though I can't see why it would cause a "delusion", it is a possibility) During the camp, I've seen objects twice. The first one was at a field trip. We were on a boat, working our way through a canal, and I saw a cluster of black shapes on the horizon. About 8 or 9 of them. They flew in a triangular formation, so at first we thought they were just birds. But as we kept watching, we noticed that their movements were erratic, definitely not natural and after a few seconds, they just phased out and disappeared. The second was at the hotel, and at night. It was after dinner and before the disco night. I was watching the sea and the stars, as I saw a bright yellow light jolting down to sea level. It hovered over the water for a while, I couldn't figure out the size of it but I think it wasn't really big. It was maybe the size of a room, or a small apartment at most. After hovering for a few seconds, it jolted up again at a very high speed and disappeared. I couldn't see any details of the craft, as it was really bright, just like a ball of light.

Now for the first experience, I had two friends from the camp who also saw the objects and couldn't figure out what they were. But for the second, as I was a loner, especially on disco nights, nobody was around to observe it. So that may be subject to question.

Again finally, the actual close encounter:

It was the night of the second encounter, as I made my way to the disco. It was a circular room, big enough to host about a hundred dancers. It featured low seatings throughout the circle, and a dj booth opposite the entrance. Here's a pic:

1Ym4c19.jpg

Awesome paint skills, I know. Anyway, at first, I sat down on the left side and just listened to the music as I didn't like to dance. Then, I saw a flash of light, coming from the empty DJ booth. (Yes, there was no dj actually, they just played tracks from a popular club music CD). It was interesting, as nobody was inside. So I went and sat at the opposite side, where I could see inside the booth as there was the door. I looked at the door and I saw a figure inside. It was no taller than 120cm or around that height, it was wearing a metallic suit. Something like a body armor. There were orange lights glowing at the joints of the figure, as it was a humanoid. It wore a helmet-like thing, kinda diamond shaped but not exactly. I won't try to draw that, as it would suck. Anyway, It had large black eyes (more like viewing holes), not elliptical but triangular at the bottom and circular at the top. Like a drop of water. It had some orange glowing markers on the neck. Overall, it looked black metallic and glowing orange. I stared at it's eyes for about 30 seconds and then it disappeared. But I don't know how it disappeared, as I don't remember how it disappeared. It was there, I was fixed on the eyes, and then it wasn't there. I felt scared at first, but not so much really, I felt shocked and I couldn't really comprehend what has happened. I was scared, happy, excited, curious and dull at the same time. I got up and walked to my initial seat, next to my friend. He told me that I sat there and stared at the door for ten minutes, but he didn't want to disturb me. As everyone were dancing, nobody cared about a boy who just sat at the side of the dance floor, and my friend didn't want to bother me.

Later that night, I went to sleep and suddenly woke up at 6 AM. I was not at all sleepy, which is peculiar for a guy like me, and I decided to read at my bed. I had a comic of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and I read that for half an hour. It was about 6.30 and my roommate was fast asleep. I was just lying on the bed and waiting for the time to pass, face-up. Suddenly, I began seeing myself from the top. As if I was at the ceiling and I saw myself, lying down, eyes wide open, just staring at the ceiling. Then I started moving up, I saw the hotel from the top. The building, the pools, the sea and all. Then I kept rising and suddenly I was inside a room full of bright lights. It wasn't really a room, I was hovering in the middle of a huge sphere, which was full of bright and colorful lights. It was the most beautiful place I've ever been in. Full of colors. I also felt extremely peaceful, as if I was at home in my own bed. Maybe even more. Then, the being I saw at the DJ booth approached me. We talked for about an hour. He (as I strongly felt that he was male) comforted me first, and then talked to me about stuff. I feel that he gave me important information about the universe, I strongly believe that, but sadly, I can't remember anything from my experience up there, except that he told me that they will come back for me and pick me up at 2008, when I'm 18. Obviously, they didn't. So that's a flaw in my story. Anyway, he told me that I had to leave, but that I was going to see one of them very soon, just to make sure that it really happened, so that I can be prepared. I felt falling down to my body, I saw myself lying down with my eyes wide open and the next thing I know, I was inside my body again. I was shocked. I looked at the clock and I saw that only five minutes had passed. I moved my head to my right, where the bed of my roommate was, and I was shocked again. There I saw one of those beings, not the same one, the markings were different, and I was scared. It was probably the worst fear that I've ever experienced. I felt cold and I couldn't move a muscle. I just stared at it as it slowly disappeared behind his bed. After five minutes of staring blankly at the wall behind the bed and remaining frozen from fear, I managed to get up and walk behind the bed, only to see nothing there. Then I just waited half an hour till my roommate woke up and we began the day. After that, nothing of this nature happened to me.

Aftermath:

After the events at the summer camp, I started investigating about extra terrestrials, more than I did in the past, as now it was an important topic for me. After 3 years, I went to Sirius UFO and Space Sciences Research Center in Istanbul/Turkey, as I really liked the president Haktan Akdogan and it was, and still is, the only place to go in Turkey. I visited the museum there and saw that there was some reported UFO activity at Izmir, while I was at the camp. This added some credibility to my experience. ( http://siriusufo.org/kronoloji-1999-2007/ here, there is a chronology of UFO events in Turkey between 99 and 2007 but I think they removed the English part of the website, I'm just putting it as resource, just to have it there) Also, throughout my experience, I've experienced two different time anomalies. The first one was that I felt like it was just about ten seconds but it was actually ten minutes, and the second one was that I felt like it was an hour but it was actually just five minutes. I've read that these anomalies are common in close encounters.

One thing to note is that I'm an atheist and I don't believe in spirits. I think that spirits may exist without a God, but still, I can't say I quite believe it. Therefore, I'm very skeptical about out of body experiences and astral projection. However, what I've experienced is something like that. Therefore, I'm torn apart inside, as I don't know if I should believe that it was real or a dream. One thing I'm sure of is, though, that I felt totally awake, and the events didn't happen at once and as you've read, they happened one after another, as a process. So I don't think it was a dream. Perhaps an ongoing delusion, but as I've said, I've experienced nothing like that before or after and I was mentally and physically healthy at the time of the events.

Sadly, I can't remember what we talked about up there, and details are quite blurry. That is why I wanted to have a hypnosis session but there weren't anybody in Turkey to help me with that, and it's not too easy for me to come to the States or somewhere in Europe just for that. However, I really want to know the truth about my experience, even if the outcome is that it was all a dream. The fact that they didn't come and pick me up when I was 18 makes me think that it may in fact, be just a dream. But, as the events were spread across a couple days and I felt pretty awake during the course of the events, I find it hard to believe that it was a dream.

Conclusion:

As you can see, I'm quite skeptical, but I do believe that I've experienced something. I would love to hear what you think about my experience, and I would be happy to listen to your advice. If you've managed to read through this wall of text, thank you :)

Have a nice life!

• Like 1

Hi egesagin, and welcome to UM and thank you for a fantastically well detailed set of accounts. I'd like to make a few quick comments:

(i) You said "After hovering for a few seconds, it jolted up again at a very high speed and disappeared. I couldn't see any details of the craft, as it was really bright, just like a ball of light."

You have jumped to conclusion here about it's identity. I've been studying these kind of sightings for years and I've come to the alternative conclusion that they are biological entities, native to Earth.

(ii) You said "Anyway, at first, I sat down on the left side and just listened to the music as I didn't like to dance. Then, I saw a flash of light, coming from the empty DJ booth. (Yes, there was no dj actually, they just played tracks from a popular club music CD). It was interesting, as nobody was inside. So I went and sat at the opposite side, where I could see inside the booth as there was the door. I looked at the door and I saw a figure inside. It was no taller than 120cm or around that height, it was wearing a metallic suit. Something like a body armor. There were orange lights glowing at the joints of the figure, as it was a humanoid. It wore a helmet-like thing, kinda diamond shaped but not exactly. I won't try to draw that, as it would suck. Anyway, It had large black eyes (more like viewing holes), not elliptical but triangular at the bottom and circular at the top. Like a drop of water. It had some orange glowing markers on the neck. Overall, it looked black metallic and glowing orange. I stared at it's eyes for about 30 seconds and then it disappeared."

Firstly, I was very scientific and a non-dancer when growing up, so I know the awkwardness that you feel. Secondly, this encounter is very similar to the relatively new concept of flying humanoids. There is a mind-boggling series of video footage and eyewitness accounts detailed here which match some of your details extremely well.

You'll be amazed at the similarities. Flying Humanoids: TruthBehindTheScenes.

Also, take a look at this for my bizarre conclusion on the mystery entites 1ft Flying Humanoid With 'Backpack' Sighting

Thanks for sharing your amazing story!

Here's a very similar one from the first link:

Flying Robot

It was the winter of 1936 in the Pavlodar region of Kazakhstan in what was then the U.S.S.R. when this sighting took place. Mrs. E. E. Loznaya was a 15-year-old girl then, and one day as she was walking to school on a quiet road, her attention was caught by a strange figure above her. Flying quickly across the sky was a man-like figure dressed completely in black. Despite its speed, the girl was able to see and describe it clearly. He was “of medium height and his black clothes covered him completely, like overalls,” she said. It made a rumbling noise and appeared to her to be wearing a helmet of some kind, had a black surface where the face should have been, and wore a “rucksack” on its back.

In April 1948, in the city of Longview, Washington, two witnesses saw no fewer than three helmeted men flying around in a similar manner. The witnesses could see no motors or propellers, yet it seemed to them that they could hear motor-like sounds.

I posted your sighting at the end. I hope you don't mind!

Edited by NatureBoff

Your description of "It wore a helmet-like thing, kinda diamond shaped but not exactly. I won't try to draw that, as it would suck. Anyway, It had large black eyes.." is similar to this encounter:

"Triangular Head. Huge, slanted black eyes. Just like a Praying Mantis. It's whole body was gangly, nobby, ((Nobby!) but you could still sense it was powerful, and no-- I would not say it was a "Big Bug"-- it was definitely humanoid despite the mantis/insect qualities..."

Source

Here's my explanation for what you saw:

Imagine early Antarctica being a jungled continent with giant insects and primitive dino creatures. If this isolated landmass drifted towards the south pole, then it would get increasingly difficult for a species to survive. There would be an opportunity for evolution to overcome the dead-end trachea problem in beetle legs. There was an increase in atmospheric oxygen in the middle of the cretaceous, according to the dashed lie in the graph given Here . This would have given the big insects an early advantage. When the oxygen levels started to decrease again, evolution coupled with extreme competition to survive could have led to a non-dead-end trachea system in beetle legs. Notice the oversized dangly limbs in the flying humanoid photos from Mexico. It just about hangs together as a new hypothesis for the cattle mutilations and UFO phenomena. Even the footage of bright UFOs apparently whizzing out of the upper atmosphere fits with a super-oxygen-system evolution. Possible.

Edited by NatureBoff

Thanks for the info, and yes it's a possibility I guess. However, that page you've linked with the flying humanoids stories and pictures have already debunked pictures among them. I'm 100% sure that the little fairy corpse at the end is a work of art. And I was very skeptic about the flying humanoid pictures. I will however, read into those and consider it, so thank you. I'm a fan of cryptozoology, but it doesn't seem too plausible to me, for such a high level civilization to live unnoticed. It is a wonder though, they look awesomely "cute" from the pics :) I'm quite sure that they told me that they were from a different planet and talked to me about the universe, but we'll never know before I can get a proper hypnosis therapy. So, I'll read and then write back ^^

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, and yes it's a possibility I guess. However, that page you've linked with the flying humanoids stories and pictures have already debunked pictures among them. I'm 100% sure that the little fairy corpse at the end is a work of art. And I was very skeptic about the flying humanoid pictures. I will however, read into those and consider it, so thank you. I'm a fan of cryptozoology, but it doesn't seem too plausible to me, for such a high level civilization to live unnoticed. It is a wonder though, they look awesomely "cute" from the pics :) I'm quite sure that they told me that they were from a different planet and talked to me about the universe, but we'll never know before I can get a proper hypnosis therapy. So, I'll read and then write back ^^

Okay, thanks for the consideration. The 'fairy' pics are obvious fakes yes, and probably some of the flying humanoid footage and maybe some accounts. I don't think the flying humanoids are too smart though, but may still have telepathic-like abilities. It might be our own minds which is over-thinking, over-interpreting the 'communication'. I've come to accept that there might well be advanced visitors from another world too, but they want us to discover the blood&poo sucking giant bugs for ourselves first before making 'contact'. Good luck with your hypnotherapy. Nice talking to you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hey! I've read through those pages and to be honest, I don't think their stories are credible. The first three ones especially, since they are all friends, some of them are known hoaxers and this guy seems to see an awful lot of entities for a single person. He must be "really" lucky for that. The older testimonies are more credible imho, and I do believe that there may be some individuals who can levitate etc. but more like normal humans who tap into some inner or outer powers to do so.

Anyway, the giant insects theory is interesting and maybe you should start a topic dedicated to that, instead of starting topics over dubious testimonies from people getting high. Personally, I think there may be "some" giant insects but those would be just regular anomalies, not a separate species. Also, the theory of evolution explains various reasons to your questions about sizes of insects and other entities, so I don't think that it's as probable as you think. Plus, "Imagine early Antarctica being a jungled continent with giant insects and primitive dino creatures. If this isolated landmass drifted towards the south pole, then it would get increasingly difficult for a species to survive" sounds like a very weak argument to me, as scientists already know what happened as pangea broke down and formed the modern continents.

We've gone too off-topic and even though I may be a skeptic, I do believe that it's worth discussing in the cryptozoology section so it would be nice if you started a topic for that :) Thanks ^^

the flying humanoids are flying platforms :st

Plus, "Imagine early Antarctica being a jungled continent with giant insects and primitive dino creatures. If this isolated landmass drifted towards the south pole, then it would get increasingly difficult for a species to survive" sounds like a very weak argument to me, as scientists already know what happened as pangea broke down and formed the modern continents.

We've gone too off-topic and even though I may be a skeptic, I do believe that it's worth discussing in the cryptozoology section so it would be nice if you started a topic for that :) Thanks ^^

Continental drift is a theory that has no known mechanism. The accepted theory would only account for regular and even movement of the plates, not irregular movement. Ask yourself this, which I asked my geography teacher at the age of 13; "how can mountains be formed from the ultra-slow movement of the plates? They would be eroded by weathering before they managed to achieve any great height." She looked at me with blankness and replied "I don't have an answer for that". I do have an explanation, after 30 years in the making, which *does* make sense.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment about starting a big-bug thread.

Well then, please start a topic about the mountains theory too, in a relative section of the forums. I'd like to read it ^^

• Like 1

Hello mate and welcome to the forums. Thanks for sharing your story, a lot of people reporting close encounters usually describe it as a terrifying experience, now, you said that you consider yourself and skeptic, and now as a skeptic I ask you: what are the chances that you fell sleep and everything you tell (when you floated) was just part of a dream?

• Like 1

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out by wishing to see a hypnosis expert. However, the fact that I've seen two objects and one entity before the morning event makes me believe that it wasn't a dream either. I remember being awake vividly, but it is a possibility of course. Then again, the fact that there was supposed UFO activity at the region during that time, which made it into national news, is quite interesting.

Also, I experience lucid dreams often, as I become aware that I am dreaming and sometimes control it. I've always loved my dreams and most of the time I can tell that I was dreaming. So hypnosis seems to be the answer for myself, but I'm not 100% sure that everything happened the way I remember, since the last part was at 6.30AM

I'm very skeptical about hypnosis as it could be possible to just say anything that comes to mind, true or not.

The difference between awake and asleep is not so black and white.

Perceptions might seem realistic in any state. Reality testing in a hallucinatory state could suggest the perception of reality(or a hyper-reality).

Whole religions are based on the belief that the dream world is true reality.

The 2001 time frame of the 2 week long summer camp coincides with the 1st annual "World UFO Day", declared by Haktan Akdogan himself.

Understandable you would gravitate towards a popular cultural event.

I didn't grow up atheist, so I don't know what it was like for you, but I did question my perceptions at an early age.

Dreams and the distinction between awake and asleep have played a large part.

Sleep Paralysis, Hypnagogic & Hypnopompic Hallucinations can be experienced with varying degrees and combinations.

Well I know that hypnosis is not too reliable, but so far, it is the best that I've got. And as I've said, there are events before the morning part too :) I never knew of that World UFO Day before many years later. I was 11 and all I did was to play FIFA 2001 on my PC, some PSOne gaming and well watching cartoons. I didn't read newspapers and I didn't use the internet. So I didn't know of the UFO related events and/or sightings of that summer until after 3 years of my experience. So idk. But I have experienced sleep paralysis many times when I was much younger and it was nothing like that anyway, I can tell you that. Hallucinations, I don't know. Nothing of that sort happened before or after so a one time hallucination is a weak possibility imho, but still a possibility. I hope I find out some day :)

Thanks for sharing. Wish I had some input for you, but I do not. And, I doubt you will ever find your answer 100%, at least one you can " believe ".

You may be interested in reading Whitley Streibers Books :

http://books.google.com/books/about/Communion.html?id=joqD292GpGsC

http://www.amazon.com/The-Communion-Letters-Whitley-Strieber/dp/0061053686

And his other books ( Transformation )..... I read those three. I am a " skeptic ", but I enjoyed them, and after reading your topic, I think they may help you.

Here is his site :

http://www.unknowncountry.com/

Are you sure it wasn't one of the guys from Daft Punk in the DJ booth?

daft-punk-action-figures-large-650x433.jpg

Haha, just jokes.

But for your story. To be honest I am always wary of anything weird that happens when sleep is involved. Especially if you have a keen interest in UFOs and often lucid dream.

I have a few memories from when I was young that always stood out to me growing up. Wasn't until I got older and thought about it some more. Either I was asleep the whole time or was semi awake, but sleep was always involved, plus a young over active imagination.

*snip*

Welcome to UM though. :)

Edited by Saru
Removed personal attack

@Sakari: Thanks for the books, they look interesting as I understand there are compilations of testimonies so it might be a worthwhile read

@DKO: Yep, I noticed that from other topics but still, it's nice to give people chances. Also, thanks for sharing your views. I'm really glad that I'm getting mostly skeptical responses actually, since to me, it shows that this is a sophisticated forum where actual discussions may happen :)

@Sakari: Thanks for the books, they look interesting as I understand there are compilations of testimonies so it might be a worthwhile read

One of the books yes. Those were letters sent to him after he wrote the first two books. Read up on him, and read Communion 1st, and transformation 2nd.....Then the one with different stories.

There is a movie for Communion, but it destroys the book. It follows it a bit, but not as good.....

Hell, here you go....Full Movie...

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Video link removed due to copyright
  • Like 1

Well then, please start a topic about the mountains theory too, in a relative section of the forums. I'd like to read it ^^

Here's a physics essay paper I entered into a FQXi competition with and another a year later. They will give you a starter about how fundamental my new way of thinking really is. I'd appreciate any feedback

(i) http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/868

(ii) http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1293

P.S. What was the situation where you were possibly discussing the origins of the universe with another otherworldly being? If it was only whilst asleep/in-bed, then I'd conclude that was just your subconscious at work.

Edited by NatureBoff

Sorry NatureBoff but those essays look like they are beyond my understanding, as I never took advanced physics courses. If you could start a topic and tell your theories in a simpler way, focusing on your views on evolution and landscapes, it would be a much better base for a discussion on this site I guess :/

Sorry NatureBoff but those essays look like they are beyond my understanding, as I never took advanced physics courses. If you could start a topic and tell your theories in a simpler way, focusing on your views on evolution and landscapes, it would be a much better base for a discussion on this site I guess :/

Don't be fooled by the "advanced physics" look of the site and other entries. It's a simple use of the imagination. The basic concept is that I think gravity is due to Archimedes screw-like particles which has a mechanical nature of common sense interaction. If a gravity particle is emitted from one object, it can create an apparent force of attraction on another, due to the clockwise spin of a right-handed thread or the anti-clockwise spin of a left-handed thread.

Archimedes-screw_one-screw-threads_with-ball_3D-view_animated_small.gif

Edited by NatureBoff