Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In rare condition, baby keeps catching fire

Still Waters

A 3-month-old baby in Chennai has been repeatedly catching fire because of a rare medical condition known as Spontaneous Human Combustion (SHC). The disorder has been seen only in 200 people across the world in the past 300 years.

http://www.aninews.i...ching-fire.html

The video isn't graphic.

• Like 3

That is really sad and frightening, poor bubs :cry:

• Like 5

Hopefully they can find out why. Firstly to cure the child, secondly for an answer at least to why SHC is occurring in this case.

• Like 5

That is really sad and frightening, poor bubs :cry:

Indeed it is. :(

On a positive note, he'll be regarded as 'hot' when he grows up and will reap the benefits.

• Like 4

I've never heard of a baby being affected by this before, it's usually adults we hear about. The poor wee child....how awful :(

• Like 4

So far only the mother has witnessed the incidents, I hope we can follow this to see if it still happens at the hospital in a controlled environment.

Poor little soul :no:

• Like 5

This is one of the most scary things ever, although there can be natural explanations sometimes. This summer, like a month ago, a house here in Turkey kept catching fire. The family moved and their new house kept catching fire too. They tried exorcism and stuff, of course in an Islamic way. Anyway, local universities conducted a research and found out that the fires were due to their extremely dirty lifestyle (some chemical interactions here that I don't have an understanding of). They even managed to replicate one.

On a side note, I see moderators posting news directly, without touching a word and adding their comments. I'm new here so I mean, that's probably how it works around here, but it can mislead people. As SHC is not a widely accepted medical condition. And all I could find was that a coroner declared one man dead due to SHC and that's all. I do believe in SHC but it is not a medical condition, it might even be a supernatural condition or whatever, so perhaps you, as the moderators, could be more "moderating" about these news reports. Just a friendly suggestion, please don't hate me :)

M

Make me kind of suspicious. Munchausen by proxy?

Exactly that....how many mums do things to their kids for money or attention?

I am not saying it's not true, but I really wish they will tell the newspapers if the incidents have stopped or if they have continued at the hospital.

If the latter happens, then we have a whole new 'condition' to worry about.

Edited by Aggie
  • Like 2

There is NOT 200 documented cases in 300 years.

There is absolutely no scientific evidence of spontaneous human combustion. Only circumstantial and anecdotal. The best correlation I have heard was that most modern cases were people that smoked and were either drinkers or on medication. In short, the set themselves on fire and the "wick" effect of body fat did the rest. There are reports and documentaries that explain it better than I can or am going to take the time to.

This sounds "hoaxie" to me.

Maybe the "Mom" has postpartum depression and she is doing this and doesn't even know it.

If he bursts into flames while in the hospital under the camera eye....then I'll change my opinion.

• Like 9

M

I would prefer it was this, that means that baby will be okay once removed from the mother.

• Like 3

When I was reading this article before posting it, my husband was looking over my shoulder. He said "That's got to be a hoax surely!" Judging from the comments in this thread, he's not the only one who's suspicious.

• Like 3

It seems this story has been picked up all over the net. Here's a different news source -

Doctors told them that the child was suffering from “spontaneous human combustion,” a condition where concentrated combustible gas is emitted from the body, making people susceptible to fire.

“The family does not have any medical record and we have to check with Jipmer for the case sheet.” According to Babu, the baby suffered burns in the abdomen and the chest.

“The baby has to be observed in detail. We have to investigate whether the ailment is genetic or otherwise. We should also carry out tests to find out the kind of gases released by the baby,” Jayachandran said. Doctors said the baby should be kept in places with proper ventilation.

http://www.deccanher...-baby-rare.html

• Like 3

Well, glad the tot's in a hospital.

I've read both the article and all the comments here, and as well find some of the circumstances odd.

• Like 2

How is the baby not dead, I mean this is fire where talking about.

• Like 2

Personally, and not to sound cruel & heartless, but I'll believe that it is a case of SHC when they catch it on video.

Somehow, I just can't help that the child had a little help being aflame. Especially since the doctor didn't report any other incidents of "spontaneous combustion" with the child.

• Like 1

Ill ask the question again, how did the baby not die?

Maybe because it wasn't SHC, but a human agent that burned the child.

• Like 4

'However, doctors at Kilpauk Medical College Hospital in Chennai treating Rahul say they only have the mother's version of events to go on as the baby boy does not have any medical records.'

Okay so this is what we know:

1. Suffered the first incident when he was 9 days old.

2. It has happened four times.

3. He is 3 months old.

4. 'the baby will be under observation and may be discharged after two weeks depending on his condition.'

So hopefully the hospital will observe something, if not - I hope the mother and father are watched very closely for a while.

Edit: Some pasted font was tiny!

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

I read another article elsewhere on the same issue and the docs claim the baby had 10 degree burns on its body.

"10" degree burns???? I was under the impression there were four levels or degrees of damage done by burns.

Anywhoo..my first impressions were that this was no case of fictional "spontaneous Human Combustion" but abuse.

I am glad the little one is in a monitored and protected environment.

• Like 2

I've read anecdotal accounts of spontaneous combustion, but never heard of anything documented. If the mother is in any way involved, I do hope she gets help before greater harm comes to her child.