Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can Hindus eat test-tube beef ?

Saru

In Hinduism the consumption of beef is considered taboo, but what about meat that's grown in a lab ?

When the world’s first test-tube beef burger was cooked and eaten this week, food critics all asked about its taste. For many Jews, Muslims and Hindus, the first question was whether their faith allowed them to try it.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

If it is test tube grown, how do you decide if it is beef, pork, or unicorn anyway?

Interesting question and I'd agree with Aggie.

I firmly believe though that if you're starving you'll eat anything and your God will forgive you. If you have one. And they are into forgiveness. On second thoughts, best letting yourself starve to death. (lol)

• Like 1

It is made of cow muscle cells, so clearly still cow.

Is a cow muscle cell a cow? Leave it to some imaginary teapot orbiting Mars to decide that.

Still has cow in it, derived from cow stem cells.

Still has cow in it, derived from cow stem cells.

If you want to go down this road, you can claim that it is everything in it, since all life on earth is genetically related.

Fact is, no cow had to die specifically to make the test tube burger.

Now, what the religious nuts make of that is their problem.

Personally, I think we really should stop "respecting" superstition aka religion without a good reason. This stupid deference to "religion" will do us all in, in particular because not all religions are as harmless as hinduism.

• Like 1

My guess is that most Hindu's will follow tradition/custom and refrain from test tube meat. However, the implication of meat that did not suffer could actually work the other way - since even plants suffer when you kill them, maybe test tube food is the ideal option. Some might go that way, but as said I feel tradition will be respected.

• Like 1

My guess is that most Hindu's will follow tradition/custom and refrain from test tube meat.

There is no "tradition/custom" regarding test tube meat. Although the religionists will probably make one up...

There is no "tradition/custom" regarding test tube meat. Although the religionists will probably make one up...

:huh: But there is tradition/custom about normal meat from living animals. This tradition/custom will likely extend to test tube meat also, and that was the point I was making. I thought I was clear, I apologise for not being clear enough.
  • Like 1

My first thought was "yes they can, because no life was taken", but then I thought about the argument that goes on concerning human babies about when life begins, so maybe it will come down to the same sort of discussion. My guess is that many Hindus won't go for this, but it may have more to do with the weirdness of test tube meat than religious tradition. Hell I ate a hamburger yesterday and I don't think I'd go for beef I knew came from a test tube. I'm also eating less and less meat in general as time goes on though. I'm not a fan of genetically modified food of any kind.

• Like 2

The cells used to create the test tube beef came from an animal. Those who don't consume animal flesh are not going to go for anything that originally came from an animal source.

• Like 3

Is a cow muscle cell a cow? Leave it to some imaginary teapot orbiting Mars to decide that.

The original cells were taken from two cows, so YES, they are cow.

The original muscle cells were grown in a lab (by soaking them in a nutrients solution), but they are still part of the cows they selected.

If its categorize as a cow meat its a cow meat.Its simple...I don't see any problem, its not like they can only make cow meat LOL

More to the point: would anyone want to eat it, Hindu or not!

• Like 2

I have a question because I don't know:

Do fundamentalist Hindu's forbid the drinking of cow milk?

Great article. Thanks. I found the following to be either amusing or disturbing:

Hindus believe that each cow contains 330 million gods and goddesses.

More to the point: would anyone want to eat it, Hindu or not!

Exactly that. Ok, it's meat, but the thought of it growing in a lab....I love cooking, but this patty is not what I'd love to cook.

Maybe this is the food of the future.

Great article. Thanks. I found the following to be either amusing or disturbing:

Please elaborate as I'm very ignorant on the subject: where do they find these gods and goddesses in a cow? And 330 million???

It's derived from a cow so I wouldn't think they'd eat it. I would think they'd need to create a completely synthetic protein in order for it to be acceptable to Hindus.

Aggie; I'm not a Hindu. If anything, I am probably more a Quaker than anything, having been raised that way in my early years. I just found that place about Hindus and she asked a question, so I figured whatever she asked may have been in the material on the site. I have no idea why they believe anything, but I do not eat animal flesh of any kind and agree with them on not eating beef, but for my own reasons.

• Like 1

Which is why every time I go to India I walk out into the middle of a busy intersection, put my hands on my hips and yell in my best Moses voice - I CONSUME YOUR GODS! BOW TO ME!

• Like 2

Aggie; I'm not a Hindu. If anything, I am probably more a Quaker than anything, having been raised that way in my early years. I just found that place about Hindus and she asked a question, so I figured whatever she asked may have been in the material on the site. I have no idea why they believe anything, but I do not eat animal flesh of any kind and agree with them on not eating beef, but for my own reasons.

Thank you...I will try to find out when I have a minute cause I don't understand how they find their deities in cows...and millions of them.

Which is why every time I go to India I walk out into the middle of a busy intersection, put my hands on my hips and yell in my best Moses voice - I CONSUME YOUR GODS! BOW TO ME!

Has it worked? Have they bowed to you?

lol

• Like 1

Thank you...I will try to find out when I have a minute cause I don't understand how they find their deities in cows...and millions of them.

Has it worked? Have they bowed to you?

lol

Not yet, but I do get quite a few funny looks and one guy threw goat poo at me.

• Like 4