Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stop-and-Frisk Practice Violated Rights

questionmark

In a repudiation of a major element in the Bloomberg administration’s crime-fighting legacy, a federal judge has found that the stop-and-frisk tactics of the New York Police Department violated the constitutional rights of minorities in New York, and called for a federal monitor to oversee broad reforms.

In a decision issued on Monday, the judge, Shira A. Scheindlin, ruled that police officers have for years been systematically stopping innocent people in the street without any objective reason to suspect them of wrongdoing. Officers often frisked these people, usually young minority men, for weapons or searched their pockets for contraband, like drugs, before letting them go, according to the 195-page decision.

These stop-and-frisk episodes, which soared in number over the last decade as crime continued to decline, demonstrated a widespread disregard for the Fourth Amendment, which protects against unreasonable searches and seizures by the government, according to the ruling. It also found violations with the 14th Amendment’s equal protection clause.

Read more

• Like 2

I heard about this on the radio the other week. Apparently the NYPD even admitted that less than 1% of those stopped had anything incriminating on their person...

• Like 2

Glad their going to reform this awful practice. Yeah for the Constitution! :)

• Like 1

Looks like someone is wanting to make sure that all the stupid stuff Bloomberg's team implemented will leave with him...or maybe before.

It was never a Constitutional practice. Why it took so long to be challenged and overthrown is a question that I think someone needs to be answering. The 4th amendment specifically protected against this type of bully tactics...to search someone, you need probable cause...and in the case of their property....a warrant saying who is being searched and what they are specifically looking for. You cannot just say "I think he's a crook and I'm sure he has illegal stuff"...

What about the people that were found to have weapons, drugs or contraband? Were they arrested by this practice? Did they lose their property through this practice? I smell lawsuit....

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2

It's always good news to see a conscientious judge in action. :tsu:

lol, what action? the judge did absolutely nothing, besides moving air

lol, what action? the judge did absolutely nothing, besides moving air

Yes, my optimism was very misplaced. At least the judge spoke the truth, eh? :tu: