Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who is the Boogey Man Exactly? Ghost or Demon

LostSouls7

Well ever since I was young I was hearing about this spooky boogy man guy. Like who is he exactly? Just a ghost or a demon monster?

They say he haunts children's rooms at night. They say he can't be killed. They say he drinks blood.

Who is he and what does he want?

Do you believe in the boogy man? and is he a famous ghost or demon???

• Like 1

ive always wondered were this myth came from, i always theorize that he was the monster in the original german myth, the same one the slender man was born from, interesting stuff though

• Like 1

it wasnt uncommon back in the day for parents to scare the crap out of their kids, so they wouldnt wander off at night or to teach them to be good and not naughty, so many monsters and legends were born from this purley to get a rise out of their children so its hard to pick the actual legends that everyone thought were true and not just children, personaly i was never afraid of monsters as a kid, i liked fear and spooky things

• Like 3

"In Southeast Asia, the term is commonly accepted to refer to Bugis[2] or Buganese[3] pirates, ruthless seafarers of southern Sulawesi, Indonesia's third largest island. These pirates often plagued early English or Dutch trading ships, namely those of the British East India Company or Dutch East India Company. It is popularly believed that this resulted in the European sailors' bringing their fear of the "bugi men" back to their home countries. However, etymologists disagree with this, because words relating to bogeyman were in common use centuries before European colonization of Southeast Asia and it is therefore unlikely that the Bugis would have been commonly known to westerners during that time."

From the wiki

• Like 2

"In Southeast Asia, the term is commonly accepted to refer to Bugis[2] or Buganese[3]pirates, ruthless seafarers of southern Sulawesi, Indonesia's third largest island. These pirates often plagued early English or Dutch trading ships, namely those of the British East India Company or Dutch East India Company. It is popularly believed that this resulted in the European sailors' bringing their fear of the "bugi men" back to their home countries. However, etymologists disagree with this, because words relating to bogeyman were in common use centuries before European colonization of Southeast Asia and it is therefore unlikely that the Bugis would have been commonly known to westerners during that time."

From the wiki

thanx nixon, was a good wiki, that gave me some new facts as well thanx mate

• Like 1

I was once out late at night as a child.. i heard an evil laugh.. in the distance...

no doubt it was the boogy man.

Or maybe my father trying to scare me...

but father swore it was not him.

So now I am left to wonder if it was the boogy man.

Also if anyone has any tales or expericenes with the boogy man

please post them here.

Edited by LostSouls7

ive always wondered were this myth came from, i always theorize that he was the monster in the original german myth, the same one the slender man was born from, interesting stuff though

Slender Man was not born from a German myth. The linking of Slender Man to a supposed German legend of Der Grossman is another hoax added to the original Slenderman story, complete with Photoshops of actual woodcuts made to look like multi-limbed skeletal figures. Don't believe a word of it.
  • Like 1

I was once out late at night as a child.. i heard an evil laugh.. in the distance...

no doubt it was the boogy man.

Or maybe my father trying to scare me...

but father swore it was not him.

So now I am left to wonder if it was the boogy man.

You were out late as a kid and heard an evil laugh in the distance and the only options you are considering it could have been are your father or the bogeyman? Seriously?

How about it was just someone else?

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 2

"B M" :an adult creation to help control/modify early child behavior to a more acceptable level, as defined by the parents as what they wish it to be.

• Like 1

"B M" :an adult creation to help control/modify early child behavior to a more acceptable level, as defined by the parents as what they wish it to be.

This explains it.. it was my father pretending to be the boogey man.

You were out late as a kid and heard an evil laugh in the distance and the only options you are considering it could have been are your father or the bogeyman? Seriously?

How about it was just someone else?

It had to have been my father. As parents use the legend of the boogey man to scare children.

But you know back then it was pretty scary!

Well ever since I was young I was hearing about this spooky boogy man guy. Like who is he exactly? Just a ghost or a demon monster?

They say he haunts children's rooms at night. They say he can't be killed. They say he drinks blood.

Who is he and what does he want?

Do you believe in the boogy man? and is he a famous ghost or demon???

As said above, it was simply a creation of parents to help control/protect their children.

As an aside, my great grandmother called it Soner (pronounced Sow-ner). "You boys better not go down to that creek because Soner will get you".

• Like 1

There is some basis in truth. Parents may simply have used this term to describe to kids that there are people that will steal and hurt children if they wonder off. There certainly are real boogeyman out their.

Indeed as a father I guess you could say the boogeyman is one of my worst fears.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

Agree with the above, He simply is what you create him to be. I remember these stories as a child, my grandfather used to tell them to me and then send me out into the night (we lived on a ranch in the middle of nowhere) when i would return a few seconds later he would ask "Did you get scared"? of course i would reply "Yes", he would then send me back out into the pitch black and tell me "Count 100 stars and then come back in and tell me if you're still afraid" I would reluctantly comply but did as instructed. When i came back in he would ask "still scared?" and i replied "No"

That is the what i guess is the unorthodox way i defeated my fear of the things in the night...now i thrive on darkness :D

• Like 1

Agree with the above, He simply is what you create him to be. I remember these stories as a child, my grandfather used to tell them to me and then send me out into the night (we lived on a ranch in the middle of nowhere) when i would return a few seconds later he would ask "Did you get scared"? of course i would reply "Yes", he would then send me back out into the pitch black and tell me "Count 100 stars and then come back in and tell me if you're still afraid" I would reluctantly comply but did as instructed. When i came back in he would ask "still scared?" and i replied "No"

That is the what i guess is the unorthodox way i defeated my fear of the things in the night...now i thrive on darkness :D

*off topic*

H did this with thunderstorms. Our kids were still held in my H arms when he began taking them onto a porch or sunroom or into the garage with the door open, to watch and listen and talk about storms.

• Like 1

I think it's just a fear of the unknown and who has more to learn than a child?

• Like 1

I can remember my Nan using the Boogeyman story when I was real young. The annoying part was the nightmares I would have later on. Great one Nan... <_<

• Like 1

Don't blame it on the sunshine, don't blame it on the moonlight,

Don't blame it on good times, blame it on the boogey-man!

(sorry) *takes meds*

• Like 1

Just a scare tactic to get children to do what they want them to do--like go to bed and sleep.