Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Near-death experiences are 'electrical surge

Render

My problem with Near Death Experiences is that if you are truly dead, as in brain dead, there is no way you can remember what happened while you are dead. There is no brain activity, memory is turned off. NEAR Death Experiences however suggest that you are NOT dead but near death, and your mind is free to make up whatever you like about the time you were NEAR death, i.e. NOT dead. The brain is not turned off and is free to fabricate memories/ideas/scenarios.

agreed, imagine though, todays near death was yesteryears death.

People are pulled from the brink of death today that rarely ever happened before.

I have no problems with the idea of the brain going into overdrive in certain areas when it thinks it is dying.

I have a problem with others NOT believing it. I mean, we accept movies and such like terminator where the termiator is dying (talking bout the liquid like what in t2) and all the electrical stuff inside him goes nutso and you see his 'body' memory of all the pple he killed and made himself look like.

Those things are easy for us to accept, yup, it is just movies, but we do not see such a thing as being weird.

at work today a light over me went 'out', there was a crackly noise, then a brief almost blink your eyes to miss it, glare of light then woosh, it was out.

My decent laptop, when it died, there was a crackling sound, then sparks out one of those holes on the side you plug things in to recharge it, it seemed to surge in electricity to spark.. then woosh, smoke and my poor baby was gone.

anyways, i see this as an easy thing to believe, the brain is like a computer, it can peter out and die, or maybe due to some kind of genetics or something, it sparks in the end, sparks here and there and crackles in itself then if the brain/body is not somehow revived, just whooshes out and died.

agreed, imagine though, todays near death was yesteryears death.

People are pulled from the brink of death today that rarely ever happened before.

I have no problems with the idea of the brain going into overdrive in certain areas when it thinks it is dying.

I have a problem with others NOT believing it. I mean, we accept movies and such like terminator where the termiator is dying (talking bout the liquid like what in t2) and all the electrical stuff inside him goes nutso and you see his 'body' memory of all the pple he killed and made himself look like.

Those things are easy for us to accept, yup, it is just movies, but we do not see such a thing as being weird.

at work today a light over me went 'out', there was a crackly noise, then a brief almost blink your eyes to miss it, glare of light then woosh, it was out.

My decent laptop, when it died, there was a crackling sound, then sparks out one of those holes on the side you plug things in to recharge it, it seemed to surge in electricity to spark.. then woosh, smoke and my poor baby was gone.

anyways, i see this as an easy thing to believe, the brain is like a computer, it can peter out and die, or maybe due to some kind of genetics or something, it sparks in the end, sparks here and there and crackles in itself then if the brain/body is not somehow revived, just whooshes out and died.

I think you would have a point if NDEs were also random images and scenarios. Most NDEd follow a pattern that is perfectly consistent with what one might expect if there is an afterlife.

• Like 1

Ever tried DMT.........?

http://www.drugs-for...ead.php?t=68515

I read somewhere that all NDE are is your brain dumping huge amounts of DMT, and DMT is a natural chemical your body makes but its in such minute amounts that, you don't experience the effects like you would in a huge dose.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

I read somewhere that all NDE are is your brain dumping huge amounts of DMT, and DMT is a natural chemical your body makes but its in such minute amounts that, you don't experience the effects like you would in a huge dose.

Yes. DMT is associated with conscious experience. The funny thing is that its found in nearly every living thing and very high ( relatively speaking ) concentrations in organism that are considered teachers by traditional people's.

Something to think about.

http://youtu.be/D48Wm3ewx-w

When I had my 2nd hip surgery I was nervous that I was going to die for some reason. I was put to sleep and I remember walking in a beautiful garden and there was a rock wall with flowers planted above it. There was a small wooden gate and God walked out of it. He looked like a man, but I could not see any features on His face. He "told" me that He was here to hold my hand during my surgery. I remember sitting on the rock wall with Him and I wanted to ask so many questions like if UFOs were real and how did the universe begin, but for some reason I knew those questions would have been inappropriate so I kept my mouth shut. The next thing I knew I was being woken up. It felt like I was in the garden with God for only like 5 minutes, but I was in surgery for 3 hours.

• Like 1

Like others already wrote, even if the study will be proven true, this explains only how this happens, not why.

It's absolutely coherent that we can detect a physical manifestation for something that could be more than physical.

Even when we dream we produce specific brain activitiy's patterns, but they're only the physical manifestation in the brain of what is happening in our mind.

The problem is that nowadays modern science in many occasions mistakes the means for the goal.

Anyway, those who believe there's nothing more than what they can measure with their eyes and tools will still continue to think that that's the answer they were looking for, laughing at a more metaphysical approach.

Those who believe that there's more than meets the eyes, will continue to call the others short-sighted, while sometimes they're the ones unable to accept a more simple and prosaic solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to point out that DMT is not proven to be in the brain it is just a theory.

http://forteansquirr...scientists-say/

http://www.erowid.or..._article2.shtml

So everyone stop watching the spirit molecule lol :whistle:

Edited by spartan max2

I believe reguardless of how or if it happens....Those who have experienced it, know it happened. :yes:

Yes. This is the crux of it isn't it. An experience. If there is an intelligence to it all, that intelligence can decide however it wants to get you to have the experience. The brain certainly is an integral part of remembering it, potentially even experiencing it....but the elephant in the room is why. If there is a meaning then the mechanics are irrelevant.

I guess what I was trying to say is that to people who have gone through this, I don't think that is the first thing on their minds, How or Why did that happen. I guess it's all in the person you ask the question to. "Why does this happen?"

I guess what I was trying to say is that to people who have gone through this, I don't think that is the first thing on their minds, How or Why did that happen. I guess it's all in the person you ask the question to. "Why does this happen?"

The same reason you put your hands out when you fall. It's a reflex.

The same reason you put your hands out when you fall. It's a reflex.

Except its the wrong reflex, ask any judo/jujitsu instructor worth their salt or spend 1.5 hours in any ER. And see how many people come in with broken wrists/arms both children and adults. ;)

Or just watch how babies fall. ;)

Edited by White Crane Feather

in most near death cases , people experience the same or similiar things. like a life review e.g. like a review that they experience their entire life , moment to moment , in what seems a matter of seconds. and from everybodies point of view and feelings around them at the time. seems like something more than exited brain could be happening here. also , if it is neurons rapidly firing and heightened electrical activity , how come so many people experience the same detailed thing? instead of just random different things?

Edited by razman

There is another approach in my way of thinking.

What if the activity was actually a process to initiate a hyper-transfer sort of thing, a switch to go quantum mind, a period of collecting the gathered memories and experiences before heading back home?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

<<<<<There is another approach in my way of thinking.

What if the activity was actually a process to initiate a hyper-transfer sort of thing, a switch to go quantum mind, a period of collecting the gathered memories and experiences before heading back home?>>>>>>

ONE OF THE MOST SENSIBLE POSTS HERE YET, THANKS.

Its an interesting concept, but there's really no basis for it.

The supernatural enthusiasts' obsession with Quantum theories makes all these ideas seem possible.

When I had my 2nd hip surgery I was nervous that I was going to die for some reason. I was put to sleep and I remember walking in a beautiful garden and there was a rock wall with flowers planted above it. There was a small wooden gate and God walked out of it. He looked like a man, but I could not see any features on His face. He "told" me that He was here to hold my hand during my surgery. I remember sitting on the rock wall with Him and I wanted to ask so many questions like if UFOs were real and how did the universe begin, but for some reason I knew those questions would have been inappropriate so I kept my mouth shut. The next thing I knew I was being woken up. It felt like I was in the garden with God for only like 5 minutes, but I was in surgery for 3 hours.

I remember reading of DNE`s, if there was a gate , wall or somekind of blockage, it meant it was not time for that person to go.

A electrical activity would`nt explained the peace and calm that people feel in comming back from these experiences,they would be full of anxiety and fear.

Actually it would, all brain activity is electrical activity. Going from frantic shooting off of impulses to the relative calm of not dying would be enough to cause that calm

A electrical activity would`nt explained the peace and calm that people feel in comming back from these experiences,they would be full of anxiety and fear.

That's a really weird conclusion you made there, one which has no basis at all.

My problem with Near Death Experiences is that if you are truly dead, as in brain dead, there is no way you can remember what happened while you are dead. There is no brain activity, memory is turned off. NEAR Death Experiences however suggest that you are NOT dead but near death, and your mind is free to make up whatever you like about the time you were NEAR death, i.e. NOT dead. The brain is not turned off and is free to fabricate memories/ideas/scenarios.

Inaccurate the brain like all muscles holds memory for a substantial time once the electrical impulses are turned off hence why a person can be classified as being dead e.g no brain impulse for a considerable time period e.g. coma-tic state only later to make a full recovery. If as you would assume like a flash memory the brain is wiped by the lack of electrical impulses this would then not be possible.

I have experienced a fascinating window of slowly dissolving and reforming time where I believed I was dying not so long ago under influence of something. Whilst I was not in physical danger, my subconscious convinced myself that I were about to pass over and it was the most disturbing/beautiful moment and provided much insight once I had integrated the experience. The feeling after the artificial process had concluded was 'well that was how I imagined it...' There had been pervading and potent conflicts within my mind concerning dying and what the freaking heck it meant or felt like to just leave all you have made attachments with. That is why I conjured this particular experience of artificial dying due to questioning and rooting and digging around with a colossally curious inevitability.

I felt a profound sense of unreality and surprise yet peace and acceptance which was channeled through a literal surge of some power/essence like I was buzzing with electricity akin to the sensation that is frequently described in tandem with NDE's, OBE's or dying folks who transcribe their last moments to loved ones. Whilst I have no concept of what true death means (unless this is the afterworld hehe), it gave me a riveting hinge to open and close and rebound thoughts off until I do pass on. I wonder whether something inside of us releases a chemical to 'soothe' the transition like when someone is shot yet feels no pain at the time. I've seen theories related to DMT and the pineal gland continuously.

I have experienced a fascinating window of slowly dissolving and reforming time where I believed I was dying not so long ago under influence of something. Whilst I was not in physical danger, my subconscious convinced myself that I were about to pass over and it was the most disturbing/beautiful moment and provided much insight once I had integrated the experience. The feeling after the artificial process had concluded was 'well that was how I imagined it...' There had been pervading and potent conflicts within my mind concerning dying and what the freaking heck it meant or felt like to just leave all you have made attachments with. That is why I conjured this particular experience of artificial dying due to questioning and rooting and digging around with a colossally curious inevitability.

I felt a profound sense of unreality and surprise yet peace and acceptance which was channeled through a literal surge of some power/essence like I was buzzing with electricity akin to the sensation that is frequently described in tandem with NDE's, OBE's or dying folks who transcribe their last moments to loved ones. Whilst I have no concept of what true death means (unless this is the afterworld hehe), it gave me a riveting hinge to open and close and rebound thoughts off until I do pass on. I wonder whether something inside of us releases a chemical to 'soothe' the transition like when someone is shot yet feels no pain at the time. I've seen theories related to DMT and the pineal gland continuously.

Actually I have been searching for any evidence that DMT is released close to death.... So far I'm empty handed. It seems to be a suggestion not an actual fact. But I'm open to anyone who has actual scientific data. As of now I have concluded that DMT has nothing to do with NDEs, OBEs, or dreams until Somone shows me a study where they have prooven this.

Actually I have been searching for any evidence that DMT is released close to death.... So far I'm empty handed. It seems to be a suggestion not an actual fact. But I'm open to anyone who has actual scientific data. As of now I have concluded that DMT has nothing to do with NDEs, OBEs, or dreams until Somone shows me a study where they have prooven this.

Yeah, I tell people all the time that DMT is not proven to be in the brain. Its a theory atm.

http://forteansquirrel.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/dmt-and-our-brain-what-scientists-say/