Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bottled light!

ouija ouija

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23536914

I think this is wonderful! :w00t: So simple but so effective ....... gives off 40 - 60 watts. Very useful in places where there is no electricity. Safe and costs almost nothing .... what's not to like?!

• Like 3

It is a little trivial, isn't it?

I mean, it only redirects sunlight. That isn't a bad thing, but it won't do any good at night time.

I mean, it only redirects sunlight. That isn't a bad thing, but it won't do any good at night time.

That's true, but, it still means that people can stay out of the heat and have some light to work/read by(additional to windows).

• Like 1

That's true, but, it still means that people can stay out of the heat and have some light to work/read by(additional to windows).

You wrote right, this is a job windows already do just fine and from thousands of years.

And I add that it works only with one story tall buildings.

Anyway, nice idea!

Why only tall buildings? If all the buildings were one standard story, it should work just fine. Of course, if you lived in the shadow of a tall building, you could have a problem.

• Like 1

before reading the article i thought this was some sort of gimmick like dehydrated water ( just add water in small print)... but after reading it is a cool idea though i dont tend to have lights on during the day as windows do the job (as other posters have commented)

Maybe they unscrew the bottles at night due to the cost of moonlight?

Why only tall buildings? If all the buildings were one standard story, it should work just fine. Of course, if you lived in the shadow of a tall building, you could have a problem.

Were you responding to my post?

Anyway, obviously this system works only if the apartment is in direct contact with the roof (like we can clearly see in the article), otherwise it's not feasable. With just two floors it's already difficult, because the apartment at the second floor can enjoy the system, but not the apartment at the first floor beneath it. Unless you use a complicated refraction system running through the walls and the ceiling, but in this way you should split the light in two (one half for the apt. at first floor, the other half for apt. at second floor), other than it would become cost ineffective, since you should build the house with the right tunnels in walls and ceilings, with mirrors inside placed at right angles. It would also become complicated for maintenance, since only a bit of dust on one of the refrecting mirrors would "shut the light off".

That's why it works only with buildings that are only with one floor.

Since we're not 6 millions people in the world, but 6 billions (almost 7 I guess), it's difficult to imagine a world where we all live in single houses with just one floor. Try to think about megalopolises around the world like New York, Tokyo, Beijing, or any city with skyscrapers, how would you apply this system there?

So, as I wrote, nice idea, it can work in limited cases, but still it's something