Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Horrors on the Road: Two Sinister Road Ghosts

Still Waters

There is a particular category of road ghost, often female, that is seen always from behind. No matter how much the pursuer (inevitably a single man) runs or lashes his horse, he cannot catch up to the creature and does not see her face–she usually wears some kind of headgear. Here are two examples, one from Wales and one from Mississippi. The Welsh example is framed as a trickster spirit or witch (the narrator is a minister), and also has traits of the will-o-the-wisp, which can take the form of a purported guide or of a person in distress.

http://hauntedohiobo...er-road-ghosts/

• Like 3

That second story, about the ghost in Mississippi was very freaky....

Over in Ojai in California there is a spirit called Charman. Supposedly he was a firefighter that got killed battling a blaze.Can't recall more details than that,but if you Google it, I'm sure more will come up.Also,supposedly on USHWY 290 around the stretch between Blanco and Johnson City,Texas, there is supposed to be the ghost of a man.Not sure of he tries to hitchike or what,but he's said to be scary. I may have to look at Texas Escapes which has about all these towns here.They do have something on some ghosts,so maybe that's where I saw it.

• Like 1

yes, it is Texas Escapes.The story is about US Hwy 281 and lackey's ghost.Lackey was a man who carved up a few relatives and got put in jail for it.Unfortunately, his kin folk were well liked and a group of men came to the jail to get him.The deputy was unable to stop them. This group of men took lackey out in a wagon and put a noose around his neck and then had the wagon go forward and he was hanged. His final remark to the vigilantes was Give me a knife so I can go back and finish the job.Then you can do to me what you want. He's said to be wearing a bloody shirt and has a cut in his neck,and in one of his hands he cares a long knife.Sorry about the US 290,it's 281.

• Like 1