Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

N.C. sued soon after voter ID bill

Jeremiah65

will they let you vote with that??? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

It CAN be incredibly hard and difficult. It's just that you live in your own world.

If they can get to the polling place to vote they should be able to get to where they need to go to get ID. Please explain how it can be incredibly hard and difficult to get a free ID card. I bet if it was a free big screen HD TV they would find a way to get there.

• Like 2

Wisconsin passed a voter ID law last year. It was immediately challenged in court, so it was not in effect for the 2012 presidential election even though it was lawfully passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor. Those opposed to voter ID claimed that it will prevent blacks and the elderly (historically democrat voters) from voting. Personally, I find it hard to believe that most people do not have a valid ID, but that is just my opinion.

As others have said, you need a valid form of ID do function in our society. You need photo ID or other identification proving that you are who you say you are to: get a driver's license, open a bank account, cash a check, purchase alcohol, purchase tobacco, enter a bar, get a gym membership, get a job, write a check, get a Blockbuster card, or to apply for a store credit card (Best Buy, Sears, Home Depot, etc).

The argument from the left is "Well, not all people do those things", or "Those things aren't rights! People have a right to vote!".

Americans have the right to bear arms. Am I being disenfranchised because I have to show a VALID PHOTO ID to exercise my CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to bear arms?? If rights are absolute, anybody should be able to buy a firearm with no restrictions - right??

That would be ridiculous!! Even people that are the biggest 2nd amendment supporters realize that photo ID to purchase a gun is necessary - not to mention common sense!

We have rights in this country, but the are not absolute and not without responsibility. We have the right to free speech, but you can't stand on a street corner and scream obscenities without getting arrested for disorderly conduct. It is a federal offense to verbally threaten the president - even in jest.

Again, you have to show photo ID to purchase a firearm. You also have to wait 3 days, and in most states that allow concealed carry you have to pay a fee for a permit.

Those of us that support voter ID don't want to prevent anyone - black, elderly, or otherwise - from voting. We want to prevent people from voting illegally. All people that are eligible to vote can get an ID. Most states that require ID to vote will waive the fee. If don't drive and cannot get to the DMV (or wherever the ID is issued), take the bus or get a ride. BE RESPONSIBLE!!! It's just common sense.

• Like 3

I am amazed. I was surfing the TV the other day (yesterday I think) and there was Reverend Al....barking and squawking about North Carolina's

Voter law. I just laughed cause not a sinle point of his blathering actually stuck...I can't remember anything he said other than "we marched against this years ago and here it is coming back"...

Hate to break it to ya Rev, but this is NOT the same. No one is saying you have to pay for the ID...no one is saying you have to take a literacy test...(which I am beginning to wonder about - one question - name the three branches of Gov...that oughta do it). But when you have 11 million illegal immigrants who just might want to vote to continue the free gravy train in benefits...perhaps we need to make sure that they DON'T get to.

The flaming left is just afraid the riff-raff and the thugs will not take the time to go do what is necessary to vote...and they are prob right.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

Those countries that have identity laws (you have to carry id with you at all times) do make for less crime and easier criminal apprehension. This is a price paid for some for of "privacy" or "freedom" people imagine they have but don't really.

• Like 1

Those countries that have identity laws (you have to carry id with you at all times) do make for less crime and easier criminal apprehension. This is a price paid for some for of "privacy" or "freedom" people imagine they have but don't really.

I don't have a problem with ID. I am a responsible adult. I know there are reasons "to my benefit" to have one. It is not an infringement on my "Libertarian" principles in the slightest.

The "stop and frisk" stuff they are currently whining about. I guarantee you that your "inconvenience" will be a lot less if you provide an ID when the cop approaches you and asks for it.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 1

The "stop and frisk" stuff they are currently whining about. I guarantee you that your "inconvenience" will be a lot less if you provide an ID when the cop approaches you and asks for it.

they don't really ask for id at stop and frisk, in nyc at least, they want to know what you got in your pockets. only if they are giving you a ticket they will ask for it. if not they wont even ask.

Edited by aztek

I live in a "police state," according to some propaganda, and I am aware of no such behavior by the police here. I think it probably comes from police racial stereotyping.

. I think it probably comes from police racial stereotyping.

sure, when 15% of population commit 80% of crimes you can't afford not to profile.

• Like 2

??? are you serious how can it be hard to get an I.D.? If you are crippled and can't get out how are you going to vote? if you are unable to fill out the paper work how can you cast a vote?

Quite serious. How indeed. Are you saying that handicapped Americans are just to be ignored? It would seem so. How does one cast a vote - BY MAIL.

sure it can, if you are a compleate retard. in that case you really have no buissnes voting anyway.

the handicapped are not retards. That is incredibly offensive. And handicapped Americans can vote just the same as anyone else.

If they can get to the polling place to vote they should be able to get to where they need to go to get ID. Please explain how it can be incredibly hard and difficult to get a free ID card.

simply. There are handicapped Americans who cannot get out. They CAN vote by MAIL. I realize this may be a new concept to you. The "free" part is not the problem. Snide comment ignored.

As others have said, you need a valid form of ID do function in our society. You need photo ID or other identification proving that you are who you say you are to: get a driver's license, open a bank account, cash a check, purchase alcohol, purchase tobacco, enter a bar, get a gym membership, get a job, write a check, get a Blockbuster card, or to apply for a store credit card (Best Buy, Sears, Home Depot, etc).

a ridiculous argument. You can do without almost all of these or have someone else do it.

Well here is the thing Ninjadud....

You and others on the left want to demand Identification and background checks to purchase a firearm because it is a dangerous implement...I am here to tell you that a vote can be every bit as dangerous in the wrong hands...need an ID for a gun?....you need an ID to vote...period...

p!ss and moan all you want...but that is just the way it is.

• Like 4

I think same-day or even same-week registration is the real invitation to fraud where a political machine can mobilize people with all sorts of fake ids. It is almost at the level of criminal neglect of what an election should be.

• Like 4

the handicapped are not retards. That is incredibly offensive. And handicapped Americans can vote just the same as anyone else.

i never mentioned handicapped, YOU just equated them to retards, congrads moron, i know few handicapped, they had no problem not only getting id, but go to college with me.

also, immobile handicapped with mental ability to vote, and will to vote, are also able to get an id. i'm sure them, as handicapped offered some kind of assistance, pbly there is some ADA regulation about that..

it is the ones here illegally will have problem getting one.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

I just don't understand the left's logic on this....You have to show your ID for pretty much everything, why not voting? It sure would cut down on fraud.....

The left, I mean the liberals, are famous for avoiding logic like the plague, imo. They will whine and scream and bi*ch and moan about anything and everything that jeopardizes their power. Anything to obfuscate the issue and keep themselves in power....

• Like 3

Well here is the thing Ninjadud....

You and others on the left want to demand Identification and background checks to purchase a firearm because it is a dangerous implement...I am here to tell you that a vote can be every bit as dangerous in the wrong hands...need an ID for a gun?....you need an ID to vote...period...

p!ss and moan all you want...but that is just the way it is.

Good stuff. I've said the same in the past. I've been having this conversation with ninja for two years now. Voting the wrong people in can be incredibly dangerous and even life threatening. To justify that statement to the likes of ninja, how many people have died simply because George bush was elected? Another president may have never went to war with the Middle East and the only dead people would be the 3000 Americans on 9-11. From my pov, electing progressives is electing a slow and tortuous death to the country both literally and metaphorically. Voting is too important not to have safeguards, in theory anyways. Sometimes I don't think we can do anything to slow the impeding doom.

• Like 3

simply. There are handicapped Americans who cannot get out. They CAN vote by MAIL. I realize this may be a new concept to you. The "free" part is not the problem. Snide comment ignored.

Valid point. I'm sure the state would make provisions for those folks. I actually vote by mail every year. It is much easier and gives me more time to evaluate the candidates for lesser known/covered races. Snide comment ignored. :innocent:

So if the state makes provisions for those that can not get out will that appease your concerns?

Edited to add: I applaud your concern for the handicapped being able to vote. Too bad you don't think they should be able to defend themselves by owning a gun. Sadly it makes me wonder if your are really concerned for the rights of the handicapped or just using them to further your agenda. I really hope, and believe, you are justly concerned.

Edited by Bama13

Sadly it makes me wonder if your are really concerned for the rights of the handicapped or just using them to further your agenda..

pretty much clear as a day. it only fits his agenda, he has no problem equating them to retards, when it fits his argument. that speaks volumes.

Valid point. I'm sure the state would make provisions for those folks. I actually vote by mail every year. It is much easier and gives me more time to evaluate the candidates for lesser known/covered races. Snide comment ignored. :innocent:

So if the state makes provisions for those that can not get out will that appease your concerns?

Edited to add: I applaud your concern for the handicapped being able to vote. Too bad you don't think they should be able to defend themselves by owning a gun. Sadly it makes me wonder if your are really concerned for the rights of the handicapped or just using them to further your agenda. I really hope, and believe, you are justly concerned.

First, he used to argue that it was about attaching a cost to a constitutional right. It seems that he has now given that up since it has been taken care of in all voter ID states. From what I recall of similar threads past, all research concluded that any provision possible will be made. The poor can get an ID free. If they need a phone to make a call they can get a free phone. The lonely can find help. The handicapped can find a ride. The bed ridden can have someone provide and send off a mail in ballot. Basically, any conceivable circumstance can be accommodated C/O the state. So the question to follow is what's the real problem? Far as I can tell there isn't one. All provisions will be made undoubtedly. So ninja, stop being so stubborn. You know we make sense. Let's agree on it.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 3

Why Voter-ID Laws Are Bad for Women, the Elderly, and Everyone

September 04, 2012

On Thursday, a federal court blocked a Texas voter-identification law that the three-judge panel said would unnecessarily burden poor, minority citizens from exercising their right to vote. The court cited the fact that many Texans would have to travel up to 250 miles round-trip to get a free “election-ID certificate” and that the $22 cost to obtain an ID without a birth certificate was too much of a burden. The judges said, “A law that forces poorer citizens to choose between their wages and their franchise unquestionably denies or abridges their right to vote. … Simply put, many Hispanics and African Americans who voted in the last election will, because of the burdens imposed by [the voter-ID law], likely be unable to vote in the next election.”

The Texas law is one of a handful of such voter-ID laws that have been passed or proposed throughout the country in the last two years. But the upcoming presidential election will mark the first time that many of these measures will be exercised, which means lots more voters will face the new rules for the first time.

Voter-ID laws are written and passed on the premise that voter fraud is a widespread problem. But it isn’t. A recent study showed that you’re more likely to get hit by lightning than to commit voter fraud. Even after a five-year U.S. Justice Department survey and the slew of new laws, “the number of prosecutions [for voter fraud] have been practically nonexistent,” says Elisabeth Genn, counsel for the Brennan Center for Justice’s Democracy Program.

These laws don’t demonstrably protect against fraud and certainly don’t provide the legal basis for significant prosecution of fraudulent voters, yet the laws have the potential to disenfranchise many voters this November. An Associated Press study found that in Indiana and Georgia — which have some of the most stringent voter-ID laws — more than 1,200 legitimate votes weren’t counted in the 2008 presidential election, and hundreds more ballots were blocked in this year’s primaries in those states and Tennessee.

And though having ID might seem like a simple requirement, 11 percent of voting-age Americans don’t have ID. That’s 21 million people. The numbers are scarier for the elderly and women: 18 percent of people over the age of 65 don’t have a current ID, and only 66 percent of women voters have proof of citizenship that reflects their current name. The vast majority of women change their names if they get married, and most voter-ID rules require that your registration name match your photo ID name exactly. Genn says that while some women do have access to the entire chain of documents that connects their current name with birth name — including birth certificates and marriage licenses — that’s not always the case.

http://www.aauw.org/2012/09/04/voter-id-laws/

It's much more than many of your simplistic views.