Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why did Jesus hang out with heathens?

SpiritWriter

I think that the uptight religious conservatives got on his nerves and he couldn't stand to be around them. The sinners, prostitues and tax collectors were much more interesting, more real, less spiteful and more of a joy to spread his message to. The religious elite called Jesus a heretic so he wasnt welcomed around them anyway. All they wanted to do was accuse him of blasphemy and argue over scripture.

What do you think?

Edited by SpiritWriter

I think that's very true. his argument was, of course, that 'the kingdom of God is within you', so he recognised that those who were treated with disdain by society would probably be more able to understand that than those who were so satisfied of their own righteousness and made a point of boasting that they'd followed every single rule of the Law today. Those people were so self-satisfied that if they had thought that God might be within them, they'd probably have thought that that made them Unclean.

• Like 1

Why this endless obsession with this Jesus character?

Really?

Well he's really popular you know. I happen to believe in him and in him having a special message. Even just talking about it helps us analyze our own souls.

Zaphod I have loved bible study for many years. Sorry if I sounded sarcastic.

because this is the Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs section of the forum. If you're not interested, you don't need to look in here.

• Like 7

Jesus himself was a heretic.

• Like 1

Maybe he didn't judge people as harshly as his 'followers' do

• Like 5

Maybe He thought they were in need of immediate help and the rest could wait awhile. Like Christians today will go out and man soup-kitchens and try to help the homeless every single night but will only knock on your door every few weeks.

• Like 6

Or maybe, a backwoods preacher had easier access to the lower levels of society, than to the power elite?

• Like 1

Its hard to think of a tax collector as being less spiteful, what with power of government authority behind them an all...........spoken from recent experience at least.

I think that the uptight religious conservatives got on his nerves and he couldn't stand to be around them. The sinners, prostitues and tax collectors were much more interesting, more real, less spiteful and more of a joy to spread his message to. The religious elite called Jesus a heretic so he wasnt welcomed around them anyway. All they wanted to do was accuse him of blasphemy and argue over scripture.

What do you think?

What evidence is there that these "sinners, prostitutes and tax collectors" were heathens?

• Like 1

A doctor comes to treat the sick. Jesus came to treat the sinner. That's the Bible's answer for why Jesus ate with tax collectors, sinners, prostitutes and the like. Any other answer is just speculation.

Though as an aside, in first century Palestine what Jesus is said to have done here by eating with these types of people was a major social taboo. One historian I read noted that when he first came across the social stigma of such an act he was "floored" Jesus was attributed to having done this.

• Like 5

Then drew near unto Him all the tax collectors and sinners to hear Him, and the Pharisees and scribes murmured saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.....Jesus replied, "What man having 100 sheep doth not leave the 99 and go after that which is lost ...Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost."

That's why He spent so much time with them.

• Like 1

What do you think?

This is why.

12 I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful,appointing me to his service, 13 though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.

1 Timothy 1:12-16

English Standard Version (ESV)

Christ Jesus Came to Save Sinners

What evidence is there that these "sinners, prostitutes and tax collectors" were heathens?

Lol it was a figure of speach added for effect

A doctor comes to treat the sick. Jesus came to treat the sinner. That's the Bible's answer for why Jesus ate with tax collectors, sinners, prostitutes and the like. Any other answer is just speculation.

Though as an aside, in first century Palestine what Jesus is said to have done here by eating with these types of people was a major social taboo. One historian I read noted that when he first came across the social stigma of such an act he was "floored" Jesus was attributed to having done this.

it's perhaps worth remembering that these tax collectors weren't just like working for the equivalent of the IRS, the taxes they were collecting were for the Roman occupying authorities, so they were effectively seen as collaborators, much like the French who co-operated with the Germans in WWII.

• Like 2

I am a heathen and a Wizard.

I would love to hang with Jesus..

maybe he could teach me his magical powers..

i am always willing and seeking to aquire more super natural power

• Like 2

Lol it was a figure of speach added for effect

Ya know, the use of the word 'heathen' could be viewed as anti-pagan, right?

Not condemning, just observing. :yes:

Ya know, the use of the word 'heathen' could be viewed as anti-pagan, right?

Not condemning, just observing. :yes:

You know I never really knew that heathen basically is another term for pagan, is that right? I guess that would make sense, but I just thought it was a generic name for sinner.. now I know it is actually a biggotted term! .. but of course thats not why I titled the thread that way. Looking at it in this perspective, tax collectors and prostitutes wouldn't be heathens at all.. just plain old sinners I guess. But we know the context we've heard it in all of our lives. People dont even know what there saying.

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

In some parts of Scotland a 'heathen' is anyone who is not a Protestant and/or anyone who does not attend a Protestant church every Sunday!

Perhaps "unclean" or something like that would have been more appropriate, since Heathen does refer to a particular kind of paganism (or, as it was used by the Romans, as a general term for barbarians), and the people who Jesus hung out with were, technically at any rate, Jews.

• Like 1