Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paypal founder unveils 760mph 'Hyperloop'

Saru

Entrepreneur Elon Musk has revealed his concept for a futuristic super-sonic transportation system.

US-based entrepreneur Elon Musk has unveiled his proposed near-supersonic "Hyperloop" transport concept to link Los Angeles and San Francisco.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Entrepreneur Elon Musk has revealed his concept for a futuristic super-sonic transportation system.

I like this.

(I've used up my quota of 'likes' for the day)

If they build it, you folks can try it and let me know how it feels to be in those pneumatic tube thingies. I'm too claustrophobic to even think about it for long; it's terrifying.

• Like 1

I am too claustrophobic for that. And I don´t really think we need more energy-intensive technofixes only to shuffle people around even faster than we do already.

Gene Roddenberry used this concept in the 1960's

I think it's high time there were some alternative to flying since trains aren't really an option with the cargo train companies controlling all of the lines. The cost of flying just keeps going up and up and up.

The problem is this.

Health and Safety.

If you tried to get the automobile done, assuming it didn't exist, it wouldn't be allowed. =Hey, we want to invent a metal box that can travel fast and stuff". Furthermore, look at Concord, it was an amazing engineering feat, yet after a few accidents, it was removed. Even though Concord was statistically safer than normal aircraft. So, I would assume this Hyperloop would be the same.

So, who knows. Can it transport freight? If it could....

So more digging inside of the earth then right, do you people even think that the top earth can withstand another huge pipe in the ground. Look at all the oil drilling holes for the last hundred or so years, subway systems, sewer systems, underground secret buildings and labs. Sure it could be done, but should it? We need to think of the earth as whole now and in the future. There is awesome advanced technology that has already been created that can be used in a proper safe and secure manner that will be better for transportation and it needs to be forced on to the world stage because those who have it's patents are letting the world go to crap so they can make a profit rather than do things for the prosperity of the world. There is money to be had in the diapers of the new born, the rebelliousness of teenagers, the foolishness and ignorance of uninterested adults, and the dead bound for the graves.

Is it just me or does doing this in an earthquake prone area seem like a bad idea?

This reminds me of the tube system in Futurama.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Hey ! you only live once ! I say go for it ! Nobody makes you get into it ! And If th eGround cracks ,Well ! It was nice knowing you ! But What a rush other wise !

This concept is from the mid 60's LOL. Connecting NY with LA in under 20 minutes. Of course the expected speed was a little faster.

The concept was a pneumatic tube with large towers that resembled nuclear cooling towers. LOL

I believe it was 1966 that it was in Popular Science Magazine, but I could be wrong on the year.

Yeah Califormnothing can't even get a high speed train line built or pay it's bills. Bahahhahhahahahhahahahhahahaha

As many have rmarked, this is really nothing new, it's the kind of utopian super-duper-mega-futurist fantasy that's been just around the corner ever since the days of Super Sci Fi Comic in the 1950s. The trouble with uber-brainy geniuses is, they get so carried away by all these wonderful ideas but never worry about the practilities or the cost, particularly the cost. Surely even an uber-brainy genius must realise that the kind of engineering that would be required here is a very different thing from payPal, which needs no infrastricture at all.

We are trying to build a train along the same route for 70Billion. Could be worth a shot. Sure egg on the face of the super train folks if it worked out lol.

Heres something, an angle that No-One will mention, letalone even realize, however my instinsts & research Tells me >>> This Guy: is a FRAUD & CROOK ... I am willing to take blame "if" He has Not Funded this Idea with the MONEY He Stole from PAYPAL > Used said Moneys to make him BILLIONs in Interests from loaning out PayFoul Customers !!!I Hope He Builds, Takes 1st. Ride & DISAPPEARs SeeYa !!!

Heres something, an angle that No-One will mention, letalone even realize, however my instinsts & research Tells me >>> This Guy: is a FRAUD & CROOK ... I am willing to take blame "if" He has Not Funded this Idea with the MONEY He Stole from PAYPAL > Used said Moneys to make him BILLIONs in Interests from loaning out PayFoul Customers !!!I Hope He Builds, Takes 1st. Ride & DISAPPEARs SeeYa !!!

A Political Correctness Quote ... by Yours Truely

"We" P.C. around each other's Feelings at the Co$t of Our Own, Until None are Shown

Why does Homer Simpson and the monorail come to mind? That said, this is the idle thought of the creator of paypal, not an aeronautical engineer lol I for one am not riding this thing.

Musk didn't steal any money from paypal. He made money off the stock yes. He and Theil were out of the building by the time eBay took over. His only involvement after that was to treat us to a movie he funded called Thank you for smoking

Why does Homer Simpson and the monorail come to mind? That said, this is the idle thought of the creator of paypal, not an aeronautical engineer lol I for one am not riding this thing.

Exactly. being an uber-brainy genius is often a liability. What you need for schemes like this is a proper engineer.

If I recall, the New York City subway system experimented with this in the 19th century. Didn't go anywhere, but the idea's been around for quite a while.